The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosalita
Any more for George's on 25 Feb at 1200? I'd specifically asked for a date late in their window so those waiting for interviews shouldn't read anything into the timing of it. Hang in there - you'll get one if you're expecting one!

Same!!! :smile:
Original post by Ethereal Consort
Same!!! :smile:

Original post by Cuts92
I got one on the 25th at 11! A student nurse at the hospice I'm a HCA at says the interviews are very taxing as they want to throw you off and see how you cope/deal with it. She wouldn't give me specifics though but said just to expect some weird stuff to come up i.e. put you lateral thinking cap on. Also having read through the ICS book I feel so much more confident in preparing my answers, definitely a good investment.

Great - see you both for whatever happens at 10am then!
Original post by Cuts92
I got one on the 25th at 11! A student nurse at the hospice I'm a HCA at says the interviews are very taxing as they want to throw you off and see how you cope/deal with it. She wouldn't give me specifics though but said just to expect some weird stuff to come up i.e. put you lateral thinking cap on. Also having read through the ICS book I feel so much more confident in preparing my answers, definitely a good investment.

What's the ICS book?
Original post by LizenkaLizenka
What's the ICS book?

It's a book on medical school interviews. I saw a couple of people with that particular book in their laps when I was interviewing and the girls I ended up talking to all had it as well!
(edited 8 years ago)
On the train back to uni and I'm just cycling through BBC News (Alan Rickman... :frown: ), TSR and Track/emails/King's portal. I know it's too early to hear anything yet but I can't help myself!
Original post by LilithSternin
On the train back to uni and I'm just cycling through BBC News (Alan Rickman... :frown: ), TSR and Track/emails/King's portal. I know it's too early to hear anything yet but I can't help myself!

This times 1000000
Original post by Aliviarara
It's a book on medical school interviews. I saw a couple of people with that particular book in their laps when I was interviewing and the girls I ended up talking to all had it as well!

Oh sweet, thanks! I'll definitely be getting that sucker out of the library next week.
Original post by Clunkles
This times 1000000

The end of January is still two weeks away, and it might be later than that too. I'll be insane by then.
Anyone else got a Birmingham interview next week? I have my medicine interview and my driving test in the same week, was feeling fine about it but i think that the pressure has just got to me tonight. I have been reading a lot about recent NHS coverage, have been trying to review my work experience and what I've gained from it but I'm completely unsure how to prepare further to that? I feel like I can't gather my thoughts properly and don't have anyone to practice interview with :frown:

I've had 3 successful undergrad interviews for medicine (missed the A level grades) but never MMI before... this is a whole new ball park for me and I'm so anxious seeing as this is my second chance at my dream career. I'm scared of failing again!
Original post by Shellfish002
Anyone else got a Birmingham interview next week? I have my medicine interview and my driving test in the same week, was feeling fine about it but i think that the pressure has just got to me tonight. I have been reading a lot about recent NHS coverage, have been trying to review my work experience and what I've gained from it but I'm completely unsure how to prepare further to that? I feel like I can't gather my thoughts properly and don't have anyone to practice interview with :frown:

I've had 3 successful undergrad interviews for medicine (missed the A level grades) but never MMI before... this is a whole new ball park for me and I'm so anxious seeing as this is my second chance at my dream career. I'm scared of failing again!

If you haven't already, check out https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/ . It's great! It might not work for you, but for me personally, recording myself talking for 2-3 minutes as if I was answering an interview was really useful (if a bit cringy!) to hear what sounded good and what sounded cliche. Remember to give examples. Mindmaps can be helpful to collate information about what you want to talk about.

Try to stay calm, and if it helps, MMI really isn't that scary. I'd never done MMI before and was absolutely terrified, but I've done it 3 times in the last week now and enjoyed it all 3 times. Most places give you time between stations as a "rest", and I found that really useful to have a minute to clear my head and put the previous station behind me. MMIs are often just traditional interviews split between 4/6/however many interviews, and you've already had 3 successful traditional interviews.

Go in there and smash it! Good luck for your interview!

To be honest if you had 3 successful interviews for undergrad, you must be a pro at interviews :wink:. MMI is just where you have mini short interviews that usually relate to one topic or a role play. I found it much nicer (Warwick) than a traditional interview as you can get lost in the task and it seems more "natural". It does seem harder to prepare for as there is more potential for variety so you can be more relaxed about it. At least that's my opinion anyway.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
i would kill for 3 successful interviews. Sounds like you should have the Birmingham one down to a tee. Don't be worried about the MMI format. Everyone I have talked to who have been to one (myself included) have found it an enjoyable experience. So much so I wanted to go again. Like it was a fairground ride.

The interview itself is a breeze. The hard part is waiting for the result at the other end.
Anyone know how many places SGUL has, and approx interview:redface:ffer ratio? Sorry if I've missed this info further upthread.
Reply 4653
Is anyone still waiting to hear about an interview from SGUL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sjb93
Is anyone still waiting to hear about an interview from SGUL?

Hi, Yes I am waiting as well. I emailed the addmissions and they replied that they have over applicants to assess for interview which ttakes time to sort out. But we will hear from them shortly. I hope they send us the date soon.
Original post by rosalita
Anyone know how many places SGUL has, and approx interview:redface:ffer ratio? Sorry if I've missed this info further upthread.

No idea about this year's ratios but apparently last year's were : 236 interviews given out for 56 places ( 71 offers given out in total) according to the msag website http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios

Can't imagine it has changed too much - so it's about 1 in 4/5

im on monday but im applying as a graduate . go to isc medical ( type that into google) loads of questions and just practice . same as a normal interview but just split up into sections. questions cannot be that different except for interactive and data
For anyone interested in Exeter. Been told by admissions they aim to take ten percent of their intake as graduates. So that means 13 graduate places up for grabs. Really hope they send out more than 13 offers. Have a feeling other grads will have more than one offer and be more likely to take a place on a four year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got an interview at Barts this week?

Ive read that in past interviews they have emailed a relevant article to read and answer questions on during the interview but I have not received this so just wanted to check that nobody else has. I guess they will probably present this in the interview which means no time to prepare!
Original post by Mully09
Has anyone got an interview at Barts this week?

Ive read that in past interviews they have emailed a relevant article to read and answer questions on during the interview but I have not received this so just wanted to check that nobody else has. I guess they will probably present this in the interview which means no time to prepare!

That is for the undergraduate interview only. I'm interviewing there for both.

If you are talking about the UG course then it can be found through the 'mysis' login they gave out. If you click on 'responded' in the bottom right then it gives you all the additional info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending