The Student Room Group

London School of Economics or University College London?

I've gotten into both LSE and UCL for Politics, though I can't decide which one to choose.

At the moment I'm heavily siding with LSE because of its incredible reputation and brand name.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by PostGrad221
I've gotten into both LSE and UCL for Politics, though I can't decide which one to choose.

At the moment I'm heavily siding with LSE because of its incredible reputation and brand name.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Original post by Kenan and Kel
x

Thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
bump
Original post by ChrisP97
Keep in mind that LSE offers a far narrower range of courses, so the atmosphere will be different to universities which offer arts and STEM subjects e.g. UCL.

Personally I'd still pick LSE due to the reputation, although I don't know how well regarded it is for politics.

I agree about the reputation point. LSE is pretty much unrivalled outside of Oxbridge.

It's also very well regarded for Politics. It is called the London School of Economics and Political Science, after all.
Forget concepts like 'brand names'. Its meaningless in terms of future prospects, especially since LSE and UCL are both 'good' Unis.

FAR more important is that you choose the course you are most interested in - because that is what you will be studying for the next 3 years - not the brand name of the Uni.

PS.Btw, LSE is stuffed with overseas, mostly Chinese, students doing Economics. As above, if you want a more balanced 'student experience' choose UCL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Forget concepts like 'brand names'. Its meaningless in terms of future prospects, especially since LSE and UCL are both 'good' Unis.

FAR more important is that you choose the course you are most interested in - because that is what you will be studying for the next 3 years - not the brand name of the Uni.

Both courses are tailored to my interests, since I spent a long time researching before I picked them. Plus, its for Masters, not undergrad.

So for me, brand name is a factor to consider, seeing how expensive postgrad is.
Reply 6

I agree. Although the brand name may play a signalling role in the job market, depending on what you want to do after.

What matters most? Course choices? Uni life? Job prospects? Culture?
LSE all the way. UCL is a great university but for politics LSE is the way forward.
Both brilliant Unis. I lean towards LSE.
Have you visited both? If not, I would highly recommend it - you can often find that a visit makes things a lot clearer - and often you will find that one uni just feels 'right' whereas the other does not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you visited both? If not, I would highly recommend it - you can often find that a visit makes things a lot clearer - and often you will find that one uni just feels 'right' whereas the other does not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I've visited both. They both have a different feel, but it's really tough to decide. I'm more interested in which is the most prestigious at this point tbh.
'Prestigious' means nothing if you don't enjoy the course.

And despite what many people believe, employers don't actually sift applications according to the Uni you went to. Just because more LSE (or wherever) graduates are at ABC employer doesnt actually signify it was the Uni name that got them there.
'Prestigious' means nothing if you don't enjoy the course.

And despite what many people believe, employers don't actually sift applications according to the Uni you went to. Just because more LSE (or wherever) graduates are at ABC employer doesnt actually signify it was the Uni name that got them there.

LSE's prestige allows students to network with professionals (hence land jobs) much more easily than in UCL. Don't underestimate the tremendous reputation of LSE in political sciences, UCL simply doesn't compare.

@OP You're doing a masters because you know where you want to take your career, LSE offers the best chances of success (imo) in this case so if it were me there would be no question as to who i'd choose.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending