The Student Room Group

How did your GCSE mock results compare to your real GCSE grades?

I just did a round of GCSE mocks and although my grades aren't AMAZING, if I were to get the same grades in my real GCSEs then I would be pretty happy. My results were:
Maths - B
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A*
History - B
H&SC - Distinction*
I'd like to keep them like this. Although some grades were estimated (English language - we haven't done speaking & listening tests yet so they just gave us all 20 on that to add to the marks we got in the exam plus the coursework we've already done). Is this possible? Did your GCSE mock grades reflect how well you did for real, did you do better or worse? I'm just really scared about going into the exams and them being way harder than all previous years.
Thanks for the help x
Well, in my case I found that the mock results were very different to the actual results - and both better and worse although overall I would say that the real grades I got were better. The thing is, the papers tend to change year on year with some years there being a bigger change than others so as a result the actual paper may be easier or harder for you. If I were you I would be very happy, you got some great results and have good cause to be proud however I wouldn't get complacent - some people do and then come out terribly when they get their real GCSE results. However the way you prepared this time must have been right so just keep doing what you have done and ask the teachers if you are worried about what will be on the May/June exams.
Original post by aijlee
I just did a round of GCSE mocks and although my grades aren't AMAZING, if I were to get the same grades in my real GCSEs then I would be pretty happy. My results were:
Maths - B
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A*
History - B
H&SC - Distinction*
I'd like to keep them like this. Although some grades were estimated (English language - we haven't done speaking & listening tests yet so they just gave us all 20 on that to add to the marks we got in the exam plus the coursework we've already done). Is this possible? Did your GCSE mock grades reflect how well you did for real, did you do better or worse? I'm just really scared about going into the exams and them being way harder than all previous years.
Thanks for the help x

I'm in year eleven at the moment , but for me my year ten mocks went better than my year 10 results... hope it doesn't happen again this time!
The only thing that is similar to the real GCSE exam is the environment that you are in. I feel personally that in your mock the pressure I felt to do well was quite high but the anxiety before my really exams were a lot worse. You have also got to take into account that you haven't finished many of the course by December so realistically do you feel this is a true representation of how you are going to achieve? also if you still do course work ,not to sure with all the government changes , this will definitely play a role it could either lift a grade or drop it and this is not taken into account during mocks. I want to be honest and say that I worked hard for both my mock and GCSE but my mocks were better I only had to do one paper or two for each subject= 11 or so exams but in real exam I had 20 papers to do (stress).
Mock
Bio -A*.
chemistry-A*.
Physics -A*.
geograohy-A*.
Graphics -A.
Maths-A.
English lit-A.
English lag-B.

I got (in same order) A*A A A* B A A* A

I had the same worry about the exam being hardest the year I was doing it but, if it is everyone will think so, and grade boundaries will change accordingly. Your year is no different to the previous year so your paper will be very similar and you will recognise styles of questions I promis you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by aijlee
Maths - B
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - A*
History - B
H&SC - Distinction*
Thanks for the help x

Well I got an E in my English mock and turned out with an A in the real thing. U in History and C in real thing. Some were closer (D in maths, got a C in the real one) but my advice would be to not dwell on your mock results either way. There's no pressure on them and this effects how well you perform. When you sit down and you know it's for real it's completely different and people respond in different ways.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
I don't remember too well. I'm pretty sure I got A*s in English Language/Lit and History in the mock, same as the exam. Maths I had B in year 10 but in the proper Year 11 mocks it was either A or A*. Science was either A or A*. I think Geography was A*. Music was either B or A. Welsh was C or B. Got A in Music and Welsh and A*s in the others.
I don't think they were great but I got lazy in school so the mock exams served as a great wakeup call. It worked, just can't remember how well. Can only remember two examples in particular.
My mock grades were 9A* 1A, real grades were 8A* 2A (I did IGCSEs).

Most people I know did better in the real thing though, especially since grade boundaries tend to be quite low for GCSEs.
please, please PLEASE don't let you mock results distract you from unlocking your true capability in your real GCSEs. Need some inspiration?
here were my mock results compared to real grades in GCSE(some were 1-9 so i included the letter equivalent:

Latin:5/C->7/A
English literature:7/a->9/A**
English Language:7/A->9/A**
Maths:B or a C cant remember? but ->7/A(thought i was gonna fail lol)
Spanish:B->A*
Physics:C->A
Chemistry:C->A*
Biology:C->A*
History:B->A*
Geography:B->A

hopefully this encourages some of you that your grades can change hugely so long as u put the work in!I went from no A*s to 6a*s and no Bs or Cs, believe me the night before results day i was expecting results like my mocks so that was quite a shock

i started revising by march properlywith my first exam being in may (on my birthday:colonhash:), as long as you prepare 3 months if u are looking for quite high grades, depends on you.

disclaimer:Im not boasting about my results if u think theyre alright, im simply trying to help those who feel helpless from their mocks which i also felt and give them maybe a bit of inspiration/hope?+sorry for any mistakes literally about to fall asleep lol

Latest