The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuronerd
You need 5 years of training for registration with GMC. Gem students use their F1 year to get the full 5 years, if registration moves to F1 then the GEM course would no longer be valid for GMC registration and have to be changed dramatically.

Do you know when the GMC are going to make their decision? Definitely by 2017?
question about finance so that it saves me ringing student finance

How much maintenance loan/ grant do we get outside of London and in London? I know that things are changing so I am getting confused. Does anyone know about it?
Original post by wciselko
question about finance so that it saves me ringing student finance

How much maintenance loan/ grant do we get outside of London and in London? I know that things are changing so I am getting confused. Does anyone know about it?

Still to be confirmed. Getting a bit twitchy because it was meant to be confirmed at tge end of last year and given the latest decisions on nhs course funding and junior doctor strikes I'm concerned.
Original post by Mully09
Has anyone got an interview at Barts this week?

Ive read that in past interviews they have emailed a relevant article to read and answer questions on during the interview but I have not received this so just wanted to check that nobody else has. I guess they will probably present this in the interview which means no time to prepare!

Yep :smile:
The article is for the undergrad entry I think.
Original post by neuronerd
Still to be confirmed. Getting a bit twitchy because it was meant to be confirmed at tge end of last year and given the latest decisions on nhs course funding and junior doctor strikes I'm concerned.

ok do you know when it will be confirmed? I heard that they are raising it overall but all the money will be on loan basis.
Original post by wciselko
ok do you know when it will be confirmed? I heard that they are raising it overall but all the money will be on loan basis.

I called Student Finance England the other day and they told me it's now all loans and the maximum maintenance loan is £8200 for those living away from home outside of London. I'm not entirely sure about the amount for living at home/inside London but I think it's all online now. The amount is still means tested and done on household income. For Graduate Medicine we are entitled to the whole loan (depending on income) I believe :smile:.

Edit: full details can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by -inspired-
I called Student Finance England the other day and they told me it's now all loans and the maximum maintenance loan is £8200 for those living away from home outside of London. I'm not entirely sure about the amount for living at home/inside London but I think it's all online now. The amount is still means tested and done on household income. For Graduate Medicine we are entitled to the whole loan (depending on income) I believe :smile:.

Edit: full details can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

I think it's only the whole maintenance loan for year 1. In years 2-3, when NHS bursaries kick in, the maintenance loan is reduced by some amount.
Original post by prospectivemed56
I think it's only the whole maintenance loan for year 1. In years 2-3, when NHS bursaries kick in, the maintenance loan is reduced by some amount.

I only asked about the first year but I do vaguely remember reading something about that, I guess the NHS bursary will act like the grants used to so our maintenance loan will be reduced by the amount that we receive as an NHS bursary. Thanks for reminding me :smile:.
I only asked about the first year but I do vaguely remember reading something about that, I guess the NHS bursary will act like the grants used to so our maintenance loan will be reduced by the amount that we receive as an NHS bursary. Thanks for reminding me :smile:.

If its anything like the NHS bursary for nurses and midwives was then you get about 2.5k maintenance which isnt means tested, plus whatever bursary youre entitled to, which is means tested
Original post by HanaGEM
If its anything like the NHS bursary for nurses and midwives was then you get about 2.5k maintenance which isnt means tested, plus whatever bursary youre entitled to, which is means tested

I think at the moment for GEM the NHS gives you £1000 that isn't means tested and then the rest is based on your household income (I'm not sure what the maximum is though). You're then also entitled to a means tested SFE maintenance loan (which is now max £8200 when living away from home but outside of London) but this is reduced by (I think) the amount that you receive from NHS. It's not made very clear though, and I don't think they've 100% finalised provisions for GEM yet for 2016 :/.
I think at the moment for GEM the NHS gives you £1000 that isn't means tested and then the rest is based on your household income (I'm not sure what the maximum is though). You're then also entitled to a means tested SFE maintenance loan (which is now max £8200 when living away from home but outside of London) but this is reduced by (I think) the amount that you receive from NHS. It's not made very clear though, and I don't think they've 100% finalised provisions for GEM yet for 2016 :/.

Yes of course, I forgot about the first 1000 being non means tested.

With regards to the SFE maintence in years 2, 3 and 4 it is as I thought "you may be eligible for a non means tested loan of £2,324 (£1,744 if you live with your parents) from Student Finance England." However this may change ...
Original post by HanaGEM
However this may change ...

We have zero confirmation that SFE tuition fee support will be in place at all for GEM in 2016, and if it is, how much this will be, nor whether NHS part-funding of tuition fees will be available, nor whether NHS bursaries will be available, nor what the level of SFE maintenance support beyond the (possibly non-existent) NHS bursaries will be ... I'm trying to stay relaxed about this whole thing, but the bloody powers that be are making it very difficult ...
Original post by prospectivemed56
We have zero confirmation that SFE tuition fee support will be in place at all for GEM in 2016, and if it is, how much this will be, nor whether NHS part-funding of tuition fees will be available, nor whether NHS bursaries will be available, nor what the level of SFE maintenance support beyond the (possibly non-existent) NHS bursaries will be ... I'm trying to stay relaxed about this whole thing, but the bloody powers that be are making it very difficult ...

Of course, I was going on what funding was available last year, hopefully it will stay the same.
Original post by HanaGEM
Of course, I was going on what funding was available last year, hopefully it will stay the same.

Hopefully they'll keep the current SFE/NHS split and support the same. If they do, then the maintenance loan from SFE will still change for us though because SFE have changed the whole loan system from 2016, but this should hopefully work in our favour because both the basic and maximum loan amounts are now higher.
(edited 8 years ago)
For the birmingham interview can we just confirm that we need to bring:

Confidentiality agreement
Photo ID. Not sure how many types. I only have 2.
DBS form ONLY if you have something to declare which most of us if not all of us will not.

Am i missing anything?

What about the barts interview?
After a spectacularly rubbish weekend, I'm praying that we start to hear things from Warwick/King's this week. I know it's unlikely to be this week, but God I hope it is.
Original post by ninalouise258
Barts interview for GEM on Tuesday 12.15.

Anyone else?

I'm flying back from New York tonight for it! Got some podcasts about medical interviews for the flight..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts on friday for me. We just bring a passport for ID right?

Also is barts just a 1 on 1 interview with a team working exercise and consultation to judge?
Original post by ninalouise258
Passport and a photocopy.

MMI, group task and giving feedback on a patient/clinician interaction.

3 gruelling hours! But hopefully the nerves will subside and we will have some fun.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn im findig out barts is MMI a couple days before my interview!

Is there any more info about how many stations and what each is about? I can't find any info on the portal.
Original post by LilithSternin
After a spectacularly rubbish weekend, I'm praying that we start to hear things from Warwick/King's this week. I know it's unlikely to be this week, but God I hope it is.

It could very well be this week for Warwick since they finished interviewing over a week ago and they said they'd get back to us all in Janurary. I have a feeling King's will start next week, but who knows. Best of luck!!
Original post by Creatingchaos
It could very well be this week for Warwick since they finished interviewing over a week ago and they said they'd get back to us all in Janurary. I have a feeling King's will start next week, but who knows. Best of luck!!

Oh God, I so so hope so...I just want to know, even if it's a rejection.

Best of luck to you too! I want us ALL to get places hahah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending