The Student Room Group

Cameron to say face veils need to be removed for officials

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FluffyCherry
And why does that concern you anyway?!
because every society has rules about how people are expected to dress in public

and quite rightly so
Reply 201
Original post by Katty3
I'm not and nor have I ever been homophobic. I do not deny evolution. I have no idea what point your making with that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then how can you be religious, religion denies these principals
Original post by sw651
Then how can you be religious, religion denies these principals

No it doesn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by Katty3

Pretty sure the Bible says being gay is a sin. And also that the world was created by God in seven days.
Original post by sw651
Pretty sure the Bible says being gay is a sin. And also that the world was created by God in seven days.

Not in the New Testament and it isn't meant to be taken literally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
Original post by Katty3
Not in the New Testament and it isn't meant to be taken literally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said in the Bible. The old testament is still the word of God. All religious fundamentalists use this argument of not in the new testament. It is pathetic.
Original post by sw651
I said in the Bible. The old testament is still the word of God. All religious fundamentalists use this argument of not in the new testament. It is pathetic.

Except the Bible was written by man. It is not the direct word of God.

I am not a religious fundamentalist. I am a Christian. My faith does not affect you in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 207
Original post by Katty3
Except the Bible was written by man. It is not the direct word of God.

I am not a religious fundamentalist. I am a Christian. My faith does not affect you in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus was Gods messenger on earth. The Bible was written by the apostles of Christ who gave their own interpretation of his words. As such it is the word of God interpreted. As such we must consider it to be Gods truth, correct? Don't answer I already know I am right.

Christianity is ironic. Jesus wasn't even a Christian. It is affecting me right now, because you are spouting trash.
Original post by sw651
Jesus was Gods messenger on earth. The Bible was written by the apostles of Christ who gave their own interpretation of his words. As such it is the word of God interpreted. As such we must consider it to be Gods truth, correct? Don't answer I already know I am right.

Christianity is ironic. Jesus wasn't even a Christian. It is affecting me right now, because you are spouting trash.

Jesus Christ was the Son of God in the Holy Trinity.

Yes. The Bible is interpreted by humans and as such is imperfect. Mistakes have also been made in the translations. I do not focus on the individual words and phrases in the Bible, instead I focus on the overall message of the Bible.

Jesus Christ was Christ. Christian means follower of Christ. How could He possibly have been a follower of himself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
Should be a total ban on all forms of head and face coverings because it's very intimidating, it's a security threat and has no place in this society.

What a stupid post
What about if someone suffers from cancer and wears a scarf...will they have to go out bald then?
Reply 210
Original post by Katty3
Jesus Christ was the Son of God in the Holy Trinity.

Yes. The Bible is interpreted by humans and as such is imperfect. Mistakes have also been made in the translations. I do not focus on the individual words and phrases in the Bible, instead I focus on the overall message of the Bible.

Jesus Christ was Christ. Christian means follower of Christ. How could He possibly have been a follower of himself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no issues with the rest of your argument, I do with the last part.

See, if Jesus is Gods messenger on earth then he simply spoke the word of God. Thus he was a follower of Gods words, not his own. So technically he wasn't following himself, he was following God and as such his words. So he could've been considered a Christian
Original post by sw651
I have no issues with the rest of your argument, I do with the last part.

See, if Jesus is Gods messenger on earth then he simply spoke the word of God. Thus he was a follower of Gods words, not his own. So technically he wasn't following himself, he was following God and as such his words. So he could've been considered a Christian

Jesus wasn't the messenger of God. He was the Son of God. He is considered to be God in the Holy Trinity.

Christians are the followers of Christ, hence the name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 212
Original post by Katty3
Jesus wasn't the messenger of God. He was the Son of God. He is considered to be God in the Holy Trinity.

Christians are the followers of Christ, hence the name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*sigh* this is going nowhere. Enjoy your made up God.
Original post by MsFahima
Why should we be cause issues by not co-operating?

I don't know if you believe in God, but I do and I believe he looks at our intentions and he knows we aren't revealing ourselves so we can attract people (sexually/physically etc), rather for identification and security purposes. Nothing wrong with that imo.

I doubt your God will manifest communications about a person's intentions to security personnel.

So you are saying women aren't sexually attracted to men...?
If not then why aren't Muslim men covering themselves.

Shouldn't it be more of a priority for Muslim men to control themselves better?

Hijab means modesty. And people interpret it in different ways. Wearing a headscarf is one way. Yes, they have a choice of following the religion and it's rules. You can't force anybody. In Islam we are told not to force anyone.

If it's about modesty, what if a girl is really really repulsive, like far more ugly than most men... Would she have to wear a hijab/burka?

So what if it isn't mandatory? We still wish to wear it and practice aspects of our religion that are not mandatory. It is our choice. Why do you want to take that away?
It's not about taking it away, it's about questioning why you do it in the first place.

PS if it is about modesty, why are the ears and hair covered in one head-dress, I can kind of see how concealing identity makes you a turn off... but concealing your ears?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 214
We should have deep respect and reverance for people of different religions. But when it comes to security, veils is an issue. also when it comes to culture, its not exactly British to cover your face in a veil in public is it.
Original post by sw651
*sigh* this is going nowhere. Enjoy your made up God.

God is not made up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Original post by Katty3
God is not made up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, he is.
Original post by sw651
Yeah, he is.

No. God is not fictional. In your mind He is, but not in mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
God is not made up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mhmhm, yyyesss. For my ally is the Spaghetti Monster and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It surrounds us and binds us.

Original post by TheArtofProtest
Which Christian theories does psychology debunk?
Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.

Like how does that work with masochists?

Original post by Katty3
I'm not and nor have I ever been homophobic. I do not deny evolution. I have no idea what point your making with that one.Posted from TSR Mobile

Well are you a Christian or not? To be homophobic is to dislike/hate homosexuals or be prejudice against them, that's to have preconceived notions about them or bias'.

Mark 10:6-9 - But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

1 Corinthians 7:2 - Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Romans 1:27 - And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind...

It's pretty obvious to me that avoiding someone because you have notions that they are corrupt or unnatural due to a biologically natural, uncontrollable trait, is prejudice.

Not to mention the verse in Leviticus that condemns it with a death sentence...

Original post by Katty3
No. God is not fictional. In your mind He is, but not in mine.Posted from TSR Mobile

Heh, prove it :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 219
Original post by Katty3
No. God is not fictional. In your mind He is, but not in mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, in every rational persons mind he is made up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending