The Student Room Group

Muslim women in healthcare

Asalamu'alaykum wa rahmatul laahi wa barakahtu,
I am wanting to persue a career in the healthcare field and was wondering when wearing the uniform is it possible for me to size up to the point my figure is not shown?

and, what is it you do to make sure you are doing your job while also following Islams guidelines?
Sis of course it mist be okay. No one can say anything to you about sizing with clothes, it would be weird if they did since it isn’t anyone else’s problem what size you prefer to wear
Reply 2
In theatre/ward, you can cover up with an extra layer under your scrubs/uniform.
Most people do this regardless, since it can be a little chilly at times.

You’ll find healthcare as a whole to be very accommodating. If you’re concerned about patient interaction, I work in healthcare within engineering/science fields. Take a look at medical engineering and bioengineering, they write surgical procedures and are involved in the design of medical tools, devices, and equipment.

It’s often preferred for the flexible working hours and hybrid in office / from home working. It also pays just as well.

Some employers to research:
Medtronic, Johnson & Johnson MedTech, Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, GE Healthcare, Cardinal Health, Abbot, Philips, Siemens Healthineers.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tandoori potatoe
Asalamu'alaykum wa rahmatul laahi wa barakahtu,
I am wanting to persue a career in the healthcare field and was wondering when wearing the uniform is it possible for me to size up to the point my figure is not shown?

and, what is it you do to make sure you are doing your job while also following Islams guidelines?

Welcome! NHS worker here, I have a lot of Muslim colleagues and it's absolutely possible for you to do a great job without compromising your religion.

For uniform you are usually either expected to provide your own (if it's just generic plain scrubs) or order them through an employee portal - in that case you enter the size you want and you're free to choose a bigger one if you like, I've never heard of anyone being told to change clothes because their uniform didn't look like it was the 'right size'. You can also wear underscrubs (long-sleeved tops) under your uniform if you want to cover your arms. All trusts explicitly allow religious headcoverings and covering your face is actively encouraged (of course a mask is always fine, fabric veils are also usually ok although in certain environments you may be asked to use a mask instead for hygiene reasons). I know some people who wear a skirt instead of trousers with their uniform for religious reasons, I think that may be something you need to specifically request if you need it but it's definitely an option.

You have a right to ask for adjustments to accommodate your religion at work (whether that's uniform or breaks for prayers, modification of duties around personal care etc) and the employer is obliged to provide them - of course everywhere should do better with this but from what I've seen at least the NHS is pretty decent about it compared to a lot of employers. Join a trade union and get them to help you in advocating for adjustments. Many NHS trusts also have Muslim networks for staff and some run mentoring schemes, I'd advise you to join that early if you have one and get them to advise you on what adjustments you might need and support you in getting them.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending