The Student Room Group

Disclosing potential endometriosis on UCAS

Hey there- I began the process of signing up to UCAS today. I'm wondering whether to disclose my endometriosis on my form.

I don't yet have an official diagnosis and may not when I go to university as women's health services and wait times are abysmal here (been waiting for one for 2 years!) but my doctor is pretty much treating it and referring to it as if it is and is almost 100 percent sure but no conclusive diagnosis can be made until I get surgery which there is a 3 year wait time for (but I will likely be waiting longer apparently because of my age).

My school has been amazing at accommodating me generally despite this and has made adjustments so the playing field is slightly more level. I would like if possible those accommodations (excused absences, extended deadlines and assigned seating) to be carried on into university. However, my careers advisor has been dismissive and says I shouldn't disclose it as universities won't see it as valid- although on UCAS' own site they say at least for mental health an official diagnosis is not required, and if needs be I could most likely get a note from my doctor supporting accommodations for my symptoms at the very least. But because of my career's advisor, I don't know.

I'm applying for top universities if that makes any difference because I have the grades, but I am well aware of the stigma about women's health and the barrier with a lack of an official diagnosis. It does affect me in everyday life, but my accommodations currently make it more than manageable along with medication.

What do you guys think I should do?
Reply 1
There is a section on UCAS for medical conditions etc - you can mention it there - its that simple - and there is no need to make a big drama bout it. And since the majority of Admissions Teams are mostly women, your assumptions about bias are a bit misplaced
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
There is a section on UCAS for medical conditions etc - you can mention it there - its that simple - and there is no need to make a big drama bout it. And since the majority of Admissions Teams are mostly women, your assumptions about bias are a bit misplaced

I wasn't assuming 'bias' on anyone's part, but I am just a little afraid whether it will be seem valid enough for me to receive support from the support team, as at work I was not 'ill' enough to even receive a stool for bad pain days to sit while at the check out or permission to wear looser fitting clothing. I've faced that before. I'm not making any drama about it and this is literally the only place I've asked this question apart from to my advisor.
Reply 3
Please don't mention it on the UCAS form until it's been officially diagnosed and you have a medical note. Once you get into the uni of your choice speak to the student welfare office immediately (like in freshers week) and present your doctor's certificate. they will not discuss your medical issue with lecturers. Still, they will then warn your department that you have a disability and will advise the department what measures they need to take to accommodate you e.g. allowing for absences from class, extra time for exams, private room for exams etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending