The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Stuck between Bristol and Exeter?

So I'm applying to do Zoology at Bristol and Exeter and I have offers of AAB from both, but I'm totally stuck between the two! My heart was always set on Exeter until I went to visit Bristol last month and now I'm not sure. The issue I'm having is that there doesn't seem to be much at the Exeter Penryn campus apart from the town of Falmouth and while I would find a smaller, less crowded environment more familiar I'm worried I'm going to miss out by being down there!

I was wondering if anyone is having or had the same problem as me and how they decided it? Or just your experiences of Bristol biosciences would be really appreciated because I am so stuck and want to do my 1st and 2nd choices soon so I can start applying for accommodation! (I suppose the simple option would be to put them as my first and second choices but because they're the same grades I feel like there is no point in doing that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bristol anyway seriously. Exeter is small and there is basically no nightlife whatsoever. Bristol is bigger better shopping and great nightlife and more people
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by liquity

Bristol should be winning hands down on every point that is scorable! Academics, value for money, opportunity, environment, city, accommodation, nightlife, zoo ....
Original post by liquity
So I'm applying to do Zoology at Bristol and Exeter and I have offers of AAB from both, but I'm totally stuck between the two! My heart was always set on Exeter until I went to visit Bristol last month and now I'm not sure. The issue I'm having is that there doesn't seem to be much at the Exeter Penryn campus apart from the town of Falmouth and while I would find a smaller, less crowded environment more familiar I'm worried I'm going to miss out by being down there!

I was wondering if anyone is having or had the same problem as me and how they decided it? Or just your experiences of Bristol biosciences would be really appreciated because I am so stuck and want to do my 1st and 2nd choices soon so I can start applying for accommodation! (I suppose the simple option would be to put them as my first and second choices but because they're the same grades I feel like there is no point in doing that?

If you were on the main Exeter campus that would win hands down. I don't know the Penryn campus but I find Bristol an unattractive place to live.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Bristol should be winning hands down on every point that is scorable! Academics, value for money, opportunity, environment, city, accommodation, nightlife, zoo ....

The more I think about it the more it is winning because I never realised actually how similar the whole of it is to Exeter just in a closer location to where I live and where there is a bit more there? I'm so torn though! And do you know anything about Newcastle because I got an offer of ABB from them and I am therefore considering putting them as my second choice.
Original post by Muttley79
If you were on the main Exeter campus that would win hands down. I don't know the Penryn campus but I find Bristol an unattractive place to live.

Yeah exactly, I would much prefer to be on the main Exeter campus but the Penryn campus could be worse tbh. What is it about Bristol that you don't like?
Reply 5
Original post by may_1
Bristol anyway seriously. Exeter is small and there is basically no nightlife whatsoever. Bristol is bigger better shopping and great nightlife and more people

I'm very tempted by it, I'd never been to Bristol before visiting it and I thought the city was actually super nice
Original post by liquity

Yeah exactly, I would much prefer to be on the main Exeter campus but the Penryn campus could be worse tbh. What is it about Bristol that you don't like?

The Exeter Zoology department is world-renowned [above Bristol imho] - I know someone who did a PhD there.

Bristol is full of traffic and it always seems dirty. Every time I've been it's been a nightmare.

Falmouth is coastal and so there'll always be things to do.
Reply 7
Similar issue here. I have an AAB offer from Bristol and an A*AB from Exeter for philosophy. Bristol seems like a much more lively location, but I prefer the accommodation at Exeter (main campus, by the way). Exeter is ranked higher for the subject, but both unis seem to be relatively equal in terms of reputation.

Hope you figure it out. I am leaning towards Bristol, personally.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
The Exeter Zoology department is world-renowned [above Bristol imho] - I know someone who did a PhD there.

Bristol is full of traffic and it always seems dirty. Every time I've been it's been a nightmare.

Falmouth is coastal and so there'll always be things to do.

Yeah that's what is making my decision very difficult, that the biosciences department in general is amazing but Bristol is extremely close behind. Where and what did you study?
Reply 9
Original post by Kiytt
Similar issue here. I have an AAB offer from Bristol and an A*AB from Exeter for philosophy. Bristol seems like a much more lively location, but I prefer the accommodation at Exeter (main campus, by the way). Exeter is ranked higher for the subject, but both unis seem to be relatively equal in terms of reputation.

Hope you figure it out. I am leaning towards Bristol, personally.

Yeah the accommodation at Bristol isn't the best unless you get into quite a new one which I am hoping to if I decide to go so I'm trying to make my decision soon! You could do one as your first choice and one as your second choice in case you miss the Exeter grades? If one offer was lower than the other than I wouldn't hesitate at putting them as my 2 choices.
Reply 10
Original post by liquity
Yeah the accommodation at Bristol isn't the best unless you get into quite a new one which I am hoping to if I decide to go so I'm trying to make my decision soon! You could do one as your first choice and one as your second choice in case you miss the Exeter grades? If one offer was lower than the other than I wouldn't hesitate at putting them as my 2 choices.

That is a possibility, indeed; I would like a lower grade threshold for my insurance, though, just in case things go south. It's also worth remembering that you are only guaranteed accommodation for your firm, so don't count on getting good accommodation should you be reliant upon your insurance.
Reply 11
Original post by Kiytt
That is a possibility, indeed; I would like a lower grade threshold for my insurance, though, just in case things go south. It's also worth remembering that you are only guaranteed accommodation for your firm, so don't count on getting good accommodation should you be reliant upon your insurance.

Yeah of course, but the Exeter accommodation wouldn't be something I would be worried about if I were to go to the Cornwall campus because there are only 2 places to live and a majority of people get placed on campus anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by liquity
Yeah of course, but the Exeter accommodation wouldn't be something I would be worried about if I were to go to the Cornwall campus because there are only 2 places to live and a majority of people get placed on campus anyway.

Fair enough. Have you been on any open days?
Start hiking so you can deal with the hills
Reply 14
Original post by Kiytt
Fair enough. Have you been on any open days?

Yeah I visited Exeter, Bristol and Cardiff so far, wasn't much of a fan of Cardiff so that one is ruled out, and I'm visiting Newcastle in a few weeks :smile: also applied to Reading in case every other uni hated me so at least I had 1 offer but I don't want to go there now I have the offers for the others :rofl:
Original post by donutellme
Start hiking so you can deal with the hills

Lol, I live in Kent so I think I'll be alright
I'm firming Bristol for Zoology :smile: I was put off by the remoteness of the Penryn campus so I didn't apply, because I'm so used to living in a relatively rural place I thought I should experience living in a city :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by liquity

Bristol is a more prestigious University
Reply 17
Original post by auroraborealice
I'm firming Bristol for Zoology :smile: I was put off by the remoteness of the Penryn campus so I didn't apply, because I'm so used to living in a relatively rural place I thought I should experience living in a city :biggrin:

I'm getting more and more tempted to so I may well see you there! I applied because I loved it at the time but the idea of uni was very daunting when I went so I was like 'yes this is like home this will be easy' but actually I'm feeling like I wouldn't mind some variety too!
Original post by TeeEm
Bristol is a more prestigious University

I have heard that and that also tempts me to firm it because employers also look at the uni you've been to as well as the course you did and the more prestigious the better!
Reply 18
Original post by liquity
I'm getting more and more tempted to so I may well see you there! I applied because I loved it at the time but the idea of uni was very daunting when I went so I was like 'yes this is like home this will be easy' but actually I'm feeling like I wouldn't mind some variety too!

I have heard that and that also tempts me to firm it because employers also look at the uni you've been to as well as the course you did and the more prestigious the better!

There are many factors to consider the most important, your personal chemistry with each place
Original post by liquity

I find it daunting too but I'm trying to be adventurous haha
To decide you could consider that Bristol has a lot more opportunities for experience for Zoology; you could volunteer at the zoo and go to the BBC Natural History events :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending