The Student Room Group

AQA Specification A AS English Literature context

Hey,

Im really struggling with context for this AS exam which I am retaking.

Does anyone have a context PowerPoint or revision notes that I could look over?

Thanks,
Katie
Original post by Stubbs98
Hey,

Thanks,
Katie

Are you doing WW1, Victorian Lit or Struggle for Identity? :smile:
Reply 2
Hey,

Thanks,
Katie

What books are you studying
Reply 3
Original post by Gingerbread101
Are you doing WW1, Victorian Lit or Struggle for Identity? :smile:

Victorian Lit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Shaziye
What books are you studying

Plays:
A Doll’s House (1879) Henrik Ibsen
A Woman of No Importance (1893) - Oscar Wilde

Prose:
French Lieutenants Woman (1969) - John Fowles
Birdsong (1993) - Sebastian Faulks
Rebecca (1938) - Daphne De Maurier
Heart of Darkness (1902) - Joseph Conrad

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Plays:

Prose:

The best thing to do is look at examiners reports of these poems and it tells you what you should include and these will help boost your grades
Hey,

Thanks,
Katie

This is a simple request you can do yourself.

All you need to do is type in a search engine "Victorian Society ppt" or "Victorian Literature context ppt" or anything similar to this.

I found a dozen and one resources that were made my teachers or uni professors that you can download.

Context is quite interesting because the method I suggest will give you a broad range on things such as Victorian values, marriage, household, politics, social class, etc.

However, if you read around the texts you are reading you can find out some more context. For example, if you're reading Dracula type in a search engine "Victorian Life 1899" or "Victorian England 1890-99 timeline" or simple as simple as that. From this, you can learn quite the important bits that influenced certain writers' works.
Plays:

Prose:

Wait, why are you reading Birdsong when it's about and set in WW1?!

I honestly recommend you reading Victorian novels from 1837-1901. You might get away with the odd one such as Frankenstein. You should at least have a Victorian book that explores the issues of science/religion or religion/the new world such as Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, The Woman in White, The Moonstone, The Beetle, War of the Worlds, etc. (can't think of any poems or plays). But religion/sexuality was a prominent theme as well!
Reply 8
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
This is a simple request you can do yourself.

All you need to do is type in a search engine "Victorian Society ppt" or "Victorian Literature context ppt" or anything similar to this.

I found a dozen and one resources that were made my teachers or uni professors that you can download.

Context is quite interesting because the method I suggest will give you a broad range on things such as Victorian values, marriage, household, politics, social class, etc.

However, if you read around the texts you are reading you can find out some more context. For example, if you're reading Dracula type in a search engine "Victorian Life 1899" or "Victorian England 1890-99 timeline" or simple as simple as that. From this, you can learn quite the important bits that influenced certain writers' works.

Thanks for the advice, I didnt think to search around the year each text was written :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Shaziye
The best thing to do is look at examiners reports of these poems and it tells you what you should include and these will help boost your grades
Reply 10

I've heard good things about Picture of Dorian Gray. Would you recommend it??
Wait, why are you reading Birdsong when it's about and set in WW1?!

I honestly recommend you reading Victorian novels from 1837-1901. You might get away with the odd one such as Frankenstein. You should at least have a Victorian book that explores the issues of science/religion or religion/the new world such as Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, The Woman in White, The Moonstone, The Beetle, War of the Worlds, etc. (can't think of any poems or plays). But religion/sexuality was a prominent theme as well!

I've heard good things about Picture of Dorian Gray. Would you recommend it??

Oh my, yes - one million percent yes! It's one of my top 5 novels I love! I chose it for my coursework and plan to pick it again for my dissertation. I can't get enough of the novel!

It's amazing. The Critical Edition has interviews from Wile himself defending the book in court when he was prosecuting for being gay (from whom a male ex-lover reported him for being gay) as the book was heavily under fire for its homo-eroticism!

It's truly a magnificent novel and it's quote short too!
Reply 12
Oh my, yes - one million percent yes! It's one of my top 5 novels I love! I chose it for my coursework and plan to pick it again for my dissertation. I can't get enough of the novel!

It's amazing. The Critical Edition has interviews from Wile himself defending the book in court when he was prosecuting for being gay (from whom a male ex-lover reported him for being gay) as the book was heavily under fire for its homo-eroticism!

It's truly a magnificent novel and it's quote short too!

That's brilliant!! I will definately have a read because I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews about it. It sounds like it has a great context behind it as well!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending