The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Retired Footballers XI

Scroll to see replies

According to this thread, Sir Alex carried every great United player of the last 30 years on his back ffs. For shame.
Original post by little_wizard123
I don't. Lampard did.

You like Grealish. Your arguments are invalid.

Mate, you are better than this ffs :biggrin:
Original post by kprime2
yes I do understand what overrated means

If you think Kaka was overrated then you don't.
Original post by TheOneMusketeer
Really?

I'm with you 100% about the rest. But why do you think Zidane is overrated?

pele really
Original post by Wilfred Little

please explain what grounds you think pele is overrated

Gosh. I'm not going to argue over something that's subjective.
Pele isn't in the Classic XI on fifa. Just saying.... Maradona isn't either
Original post by NatoHeadshot
please explain what grounds you think pele is overrated

On the grounds that he is widely considered to be the greatest player ever by many players and fans and completely untouchable?

Pele is a fraud. I posted a lengthy analysis as to why he is overrated a year or so back, if need be I'll dig it up.

Original post by kprime2
Gosh. I'm not going to argue over something that's subjective.

Feel free to exit the thread and leave the discussion to actual football fans then.
Original post by leinad2012
Pele isn't in the Classic XI on fifa. Just saying.... Maradona isn't either

Pelle > Pele.

George Best is overrated. Basically any well known legend from before the 80s. Wouldn't stand a chance against Messi or Ronaldo.
Original post by NatoHeadshot
pele really

He's probably the most overrated player on the list.

Feel free to exit the thread and leave the discussion to actual football fans then.

No lmao
On the grounds that he is widely considered to be the greatest player ever by many players and fans and completely untouchable?

Pele is a fraud. I posted a lengthy analysis as to why he is overrated a year or so back, if need be I'll dig it up.

Dig it up.
Pelle > Pele.

George Best is overrated. Basically any well known legend from before the 80s. Wouldn't stand a chance against Messi or Ronaldo.

George is the most naturally gifted footballer ever. If he was born ugly, you wouldn't have even heard of Pele.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
George is the most naturally gifted footballer ever. If he was born ugly, you wouldn't have even heard of Pele.

Swap George and Pele in that paragraph.

George, ffs. Like he's your mate.
Reply 94
Juan Sebastian Veron ...
Dig it up.

Here:

Spoiler

Original post by Mr_Vain
Santos were not a bad side, by any stretch of the imagination.
Santos are obviously a classic football club, I didn't say they weren't, just that the majority of Pele's goals came against really crap teams. Look it up. If they were against the best teams in Brazil then you could compare it to the quality of a top division in a country but they weren't.
Looking through Emilio Castaño's statistical analysis of Pelé's goal-scoring feats, you can't help but notice irregularities.Scoreline Pelé's goalsSantos 11-0 Botafogo Ribeirão Preto 8Santos 11-1 Maringá 5Santos 10-3 Nitro-Química 5Santos 10-0 Nacional 5Santos 10-1 Royal Neerschot 5Santos 10-2 Guarani 5Santos 10-1 Juventus 5The eight goals Pelé scored against Botafogo didn't come against the Botafogo.It came against a side bearing the same name and whose only achievement was producing the late great Sócrates.It's not the Uruguayan Nacional but some state side in São Paulo. The same applies to Juventus—not the European one, but another irrelevant state side.Using a modern-day example, it's like Chelsea beating up on Brentford and Leyton Orient in a separate London league.Even Fernando Torres would score goals against those sides.
They were one of the best sides ever, listed 7th greatest ever club side in FourFourTwo's magazine a few months back. I would say Pele was their main player. They won the intercontinental cup twice in 1962 and 1963. Coincidentally, beating Benfica, and Milan. Yes, Eusebio was not at his peak at this point imo, but it was still indicative of how good Santos were and how good Pele was. They toured the world playing high profile friendlies rather than playing in the Copa Libertadores after winning it twice in 1962 and 1963. They tried to play Di Stefano's Real Madrid but never suggested , it was widely believed that Madrid feared being given a lesson. Pele, btw, was their highest paid player and they struggled to pay his wages. So, by all extents their star player.Some scores, and there were many:s-smilie:antos 4 - 1 InterSantos 5 - 2 Eintracht FrankfurtSantos 4 - 2 Sheffield WednesdaySantos 5 - 2 BenficaSantos 4 - 0 BenficaI accept that he had a lot of great players playing with him, but so have Messi and Ronaldo. I can also go on the word of my Dad who saw Pele play with Santos live, way back in time, and he claims also that Pele was that good. In my honest opinion though, in a world of fine margins, Maradona was the best player of all time simply because all throughout his career he won. Not just that , he did it with balls, with handicaps.Being very short, carrying relatively bad teams to world cups, going to a small club in Italy to prove a point that he could carry them to Serie A almost single handed with divine interventions at times (and against a very tough league with opponents that had way more resources). Maradona is my favourite ever player though, i am a bit biased. He had balls of steel in addition to the ability that Messi has.
I tend not to take the opinions of older people too seriously to be honest. A lot of them tend to have this idea that that can spot something us younger fans can't and they're somehow more wise and knowledgeable. Not saying your dad is like that I'm just putting it out there.Another thing that I find interesting, is Pele's recognition of his team mates, or should I say, lack of:
When Pelé compiled his 125 greatest living footballers list, he didn't include many of his teammates.Regarding the teammates that made the cut: There are two of the greatest right-backs ever in Carlos Alberto and Djalma Santos. Then there is one of the greatest left-backs ever in Nílton Santos. Also a marvelous midfielder in Rivelino.Here are Pelé's teammates who were ineligible for his list: Garrincha (inspired Brazil to win the 1962 FIFA World Cup), Vavá (scored three goals in two World Cup finals) and Didi (1958 World Cup Golden Ball winner).Pelé shockingly omitted teammates: Gérson, Jairzinho, Gilmar, Tostão, Zito, Bellini and Zagallo.I read into the omissions as Pelé's way of downplaying his teammate's role in his success.I would have liked to see Pelé symbolically include Santos strike partner Coutinho on the list as a way of saying thank you. After all, they did supposedly combine for over 1,000 goals.I'll never forget what Gérson, who was Pelé's Xavi, said this about his role in that legendary 1970 World Cup team:
Now the interesting thing is this, as incredible as it might seem, I prefer a thousand times over to make the pass, rather than to score the goal. For me this was the glory because this is what I was trained for.
It was disgraceful that Pelé forgot about the thousands of passes Gérson made.
Gerson's comments on Pele's list:
Gérson displayed anger towards Pele's list. He was adamant with the ruling and thought that he and a few of his teammates deserved a spot on the list. He symbolically ripped up a piece of paper, a clear representation of Pele's list, on a local broadcasting station saying that, "I respect his opinion, but I don't agree. Apart from Zidane, Platini, and Fontaine, I'm behind 11 Frenchmen? It's a joke to hear this."
Pele is a ruthless, narcissistic bastard who over hypes his own achievements. Barely played in '62 and Brazil still won, which shows how good they were, and yet he won't acknowledge his team mates :biggrin:?Pele was obviously great, but there are a fair few players who's achievements are far more impressive. Maradona, Messi, Eusebio, Puskas. Obviously I have not watched all of these week in week out, so I can only go by the history books and judge by those (which is more informed than most people who just rattle off Pele's name as the automatic greatest in the same way people do it with Ali without having ever watched a fight). But Pele likes to base his argument as the greatest on stats so I'm just making a point others have more impressive stats than he does. There is no argument to convince me Pele is the greatest or even on the same tier as those guys.He's an imposter.
Swap George and Pele in that paragraph.

George, ffs. Like he's your mate.

FFS was meant to write Georgie
Here:

Spoiler

Santos are obviously a classic football club, I didn't say they weren't, just that the majority of Pele's goals came against really crap teams. Look it up. If they were against the best teams in Brazil then you could compare it to the quality of a top division in a country but they weren't.I tend not to take the opinions of older people too seriously to be honest. A lot of them tend to have this idea that that can spot something us younger fans can't and they're somehow more wise and knowledgeable. Not saying your dad is like that I'm just putting it out there.Another thing that I find interesting, is Pele's recognition of his team mates, or should I say, lack of:Gerson's comments on Pele's list:Pele is a ruthless, narcissistic bastard who over hypes his own achievements. Barely played in '62 and Brazil still won, which shows how good they were, and yet he won't acknowledge his team mates :biggrin:?Pele was obviously great, but there are a fair few players who's achievements are far more impressive. Maradona, Messi, Eusebio, Puskas. Obviously I have not watched all of these week in week out, so I can only go by the history books and judge by those (which is more informed than most people who just rattle off Pele's name as the automatic greatest in the same way people do it with Ali without having ever watched a fight). But Pele likes to base his argument as the greatest on stats so I'm just making a point others have more impressive stats than he does. There is no argument to convince me Pele is the greatest or even on the same tier as those guys.He's an imposter.

Thanks - will read it when I'm on the loo (this is no way reflects the quality of your post).
Reply 98
Gerrard
Original post by al_94
No I respect Henry and Ronaldinho some of the most exciting player but I believe if you look at their career they are overrated.

How is Ronaldinho overrated? Look at where Barcelona were in the early 2000's compared to when he joined. In 2000-03 teams like Deportivo and Sociedad could come close to winning the title, yet Barca were scrambling for 4th.

You clearly don't know very much about Ronaldinho's career. From 2002-07 I can't think of many better players.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest