The Student Room Group

Can't drop linear a level and gain AS qualification??

I'm thinking of choosing chemistry, biology, english literature and spanish. I was planning to drop english literature on the first year as I have heard the second year would be a lot more intense and I know what spanish a level is going to be like.

I read on a college's website and I'm not sure if I can still drop english literature the first year and gain an AS qualification? Do I have to study all 4 subjects as they're all linear and take A2 for all of them?? I'm so confused.
Reply 1
If they're single linear exams then that's at the end of the first year, so you'll get AS Exams in June and you should get AS qualifications.

If they're the new linear exams, you have to do both years to get an A-level with no AS qualifications. Check which exam boards theyre with for each course, or email them to find out which is which.
Original post by donte
If they're single linear exams then that's at the end of the first year, so you'll get AS Exams in June and you should get AS qualifications.

If they're the new linear exams, you have to do both years to get an A-level with no AS qualifications. Check which exam boards theyre with for each course, or email them to find out which is which.

Okay thanks.
Original post by geniequeen48
I'm thinking of choosing chemistry, biology, english literature and spanish. I was planning to drop english literature on the first year as I have heard the second year would be a lot more intense and I know what spanish a level is going to be like.

I read on a college's website and I'm not sure if I can still drop english literature the first year and gain an AS qualification? Do I have to study all 4 subjects as they're all linear and take A2 for all of them?? I'm so confused.

There are AS qualifications available for all of the new Linear A levels. The examiners will allow you to take as many AS as you wish and the specifications have been designed in a way that enables the AS content to be taught as the first year of the full linear course. Whether your chosen school or college will allow you to study 4 subjects and drop one after completing an AS is up to them. Different schools and colleges have adopted different strategies for the new A levels so you will have to see what it says on the college web site and if you are not sure you'll need to talk to them. In my area there are
1. A school that is having students take an AS in all of their subjects, even if they are linear and they are continuing to complete the full course
2. Some schools who are letting students choose 3 full A levels and one for AS
3. Some schools who are allowing students to do only 3 subjects.
4. One school that allows students to start 4 subjects but insists they drop one after their Xmas progress tests

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I can study spanish in my spare time and do the a level without classes so I could focus on the other subjects? I also like computer science but would it be too hard without maths a level? Creative writing is beginning to catch my interest but I feel like it won't be legit.
Original post by gdunne42
There are AS qualifications available for all of the new Linear A levels. The examiners will allow you to take as many AS as you wish and the specifications have been designed in a way that enables the AS content to be taught as the first year of the full linear course. Whether your chosen school or college will allow you to study 4 subjects and drop one after completing an AS is up to them. Different schools and colleges have adopted different strategies for the new A levels so you will have to see what it says on the college web site and if you are not sure you'll need to talk to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh okay. But it says you have to still study the subject for two years...so if I dropped a subject would I still have classes or would we go over the AS content...?
Original post by geniequeen48
Ahhh okay. But it says you have to still study the subject for two years...so if I dropped a subject would I still have classes or would we go over the AS content...?

You need to ask the college what you will be allowed to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
You need to ask the college what you will be allowed to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest