The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

I have recently dropped out of Uni due to my mental health and I am changing my course to start next year in Psychology. I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to mention dropping out due to my mental health and that's what helped me decide to study psychology or to leave it out all together lol
Hi @graciew02,

Most universities don't really pay attention to whether you previously left university or not.

Although you may have better chances of studying Psychology if you mention your reasons for choosing it and showing your dedication to it. Also your decision to go back to university demonstrates that you are serious about the course and proves that you've gain different perspectives which will help you successfully complete it.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @graciew02,

Most universities don't really pay attention to whether you previously left university or not.

Although you may have better chances of studying Psychology if you mention your reasons for choosing it and showing your dedication to it. Also your decision to go back to university demonstrates that you are serious about the course and proves that you've gain different perspectives which will help you successfully complete it.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

do unis look at your un finished qualifications at college and several dropping outs even if you got a level 3 qualification in the end? (due to mental health) do they care?
Reply 3
Original post by graciew02
I have recently dropped out of Uni due to my mental health and I am changing my course to start next year in Psychology. I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to mention dropping out due to my mental health and that's what helped me decide to study psychology or to leave it out all together lol
I wouldn’t mention that you dropped out, I’d mention the fact that you’ve been through mental health issues/overcoming them ect and that is it’s given you the passion to study the subject x
Reply 4
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @graciew02,

Incorrect.
LSBU probably doesnt care because they are so desperate for students that they will take anyone with a pulse, however any other Uni will want to know that you were at another Uni and that you dropped out - and why. They wont judge you for an MH issue but you do need to be very honest about this.

Original post by graciew02
I have recently dropped out of Uni due to my mental health

Ask you referee to explain the false start in their reference - that is the only place it needs to be mentioned.

Your PS needs to focus entirely on your academic reasons for wanting to study Psych as a degree subject. Be careful of using your own MH as a reason - you need to be mentioning relevant reading, Psych concepts and theories that interest you etc, not your own medical history. Listen to some of these BBC podcasts and pick out some ideas to discuss - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9/episodes/player
You don’t have to mention it in your PS (you can always ask your referee to mention it instead).

You MUST include a FULL education history in your education section. Both pre-university qualifications and your university study (including qualifications - modules- if you passed and modules)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending