The Student Room Group

Should I study A-level Psychology without the GCSE

I really want to do A-level Psychology, however im not to sure in the sense that I have not studied the subject as a GCSE. I would like to know if it will be a problem or would i lack knowledge. Is GCSE Psychology much different to A-level? Please Help
Reply 1
You'll be fine. Barely any of the people in my psychology class have a GCSE in it and it takes no prior knowledge to study it and get a good grade :smile:
I personally didn't do either GCSE or A Level Psychology, but if GCSE Psychology isn't a requirement to study it at A Level at your college, then you'll probably be fine without it :smile:
Reply 3
we didn't have gcse psychology at my school, but everyone still learns the a level fine, you don't need to take the gcse at all.
Reply 4
Original post by ahmetakis
I really want to do A-level Psychology, however im not to sure in the sense that I have not studied the subject as a GCSE. I would like to know if it will be a problem or would i lack knowledge. Is GCSE Psychology much different to A-level? Please Help

I took both GCSE and A-Level Psychology. Yes GCSE psychology gives you an advantage with A-Level as many topics cross over and your exam technique should be better. However, a guy who has no GCSE in it is still out performing those that do. So if you have a passion for it, then like Nike "Just do it!" 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Ribenas
I took both GCSE and A-Level Psychology. Yes GCSE psychology gives you an advantage with A-Level as many topics cross over and your exam technique should be better. However, a guy who has no GCSE in it is still out performing those that do. So if you have a passion for it, then like Nike "Just do it!" 😂

Thank you so much
Original post by ahmetakis

I took both GCSE and A level Psychology, from the exam board. I was the only one in my A level class who'd done the GCSE, and I don't think I was at any significant advantage. The only major part of the GCSE which was relevant was research methods - and to be honest, there's nothing particularly difficult about it. Regardless, the A level assumes no prior knowledge because many schools don't offer GCSE Psychology, so you'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest