The Student Room Group

Ethnic minority graduates in Britain are much less likely to be employed than their w

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
Obviously white people have it better than us that's why its ridiculous all these white people complaining about how bad it is for the white man lol

You are so right, being white is awesome.
Original post by Ronda Rousey
Evidence? Proof? Source?

You're such a parrot.

I'm a parrot for agreeing with someone? It is true, a lot of ethnic minorities are British born and are therefore entitled to the same benefits, I'm one of them.
Original post by cherryred90s
I'm a parrot for agreeing with someone? It is true, a lot of ethnic minorities are British born and are therefore entitled to the same benefits, I'm one of them.

:

"I am X, so everyone must be X" :facepalm2:
:

"I am X, so everyone must be X" :facepalm2:

At which point did I say everyone must be?

I simply said that there are ethnic minorities who are British and would therefore be entitled to benefits...
I have a few issues with the paper, but the most important is that rather than looking at individual professions, it has placed all graduates into one group and made a conclusion about employment discrimination as a whole. I grant that it makes allusions to it at several places, but it might be wiser to look at individual professions and to make a system whereby one can see the least diverse and most diverse professions across the nation.

I'm not denying that discrimination does not exist, but it would be incorrect to assume that all professions are equal in how they employ minorities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maggie43
I'm African. I love them lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

for real.

if all Africans are like you, then RESPECT, dude.

Africans are my new favourite race. tell me an African joke.
you can be underground asian?

um???

I think you need to research the definition of mainstream. lol!
Original post by _icecream
I think you will find a larger percentage of BME graduates study STEM subjects. The percentage of BMEs studying humanities is very low. Therefore introducing something similar to the affirmative action which is used in America is required to reduce discrimination in the recruitment process.

Prove its discrimination not a logical outcome considering England has more white people in it. They're not over represented simply by virtue of being the majority otherwise i get to complain about that all black channel in America(?) and that in Nigeria white people need help to be better represented because regardless of all logic, there are more of that demographic. There is no evidence people are saying oh well im not selecting them because they're black otherwise why would ANY black person get selected? The logical answer is because they dont want to seem racist which means YOU are undermining the achievements of minorities, nobody else.

Also affirmative action is a load of discriminatory BS that undermines the very principle of meritocracy and drags down the intellectual capability of the future by allowing people who couldnt hack it by fair selection a place on courses they cant do.
Original post by Aceadria
I have a few issues with the paper, but the most important is that rather than looking at individual professions, it has placed all graduates into one group and made a conclusion about employment discrimination as a whole. I grant that it makes allusions to it at several places, but it might be wiser to look at individual professions and to make a system whereby one can see the least diverse and most diverse professions across the nation.

I'm not denying that discrimination does not exist, but it would be incorrect to assume that all professions are equal in how they employ minorities.

This. Ethnic minorities are not evenly distributed between fields or even universities with good/bad employment records. On top of that, there can be statistical differences in family situation, or geographical distribution, for example, that can affect employment rates and pay. But people are immediately jumping to the conclusion of discrimination in lieu of any other information. I also wouldn't consider "5-15% less likely to be employed 6 months after graduation" a particularly serious socio-economic disparity.
i seriously could not care less how many ethnic graduates can or cannot get graduate jobs
Original post by EccentricDiamond
i seriously could not care less how many ethnic graduates can or cannot get graduate jobs

I hope this post has given your life some modicum of meaning :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending