The Student Room Group

Turkey threatens to unleash all migrants on Europe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EccentricDiamond
Why dont you open your eyes and look at rap stats in sweden.

I hear rhyme is at an all-time high.
Original post by generallee
I need to get over myself??

Maybe I'll write a long, self pitying blog on this website to do that. Does it work?

Works perfectly.

[scroll] :h: :h: :h: [/scroll]
Original post by Ethereal World

[scroll] :h: :h: :h: [/scroll]

[scroll] is it working? [/scroll]
Original post by Howard
I'm talking about a problem that specifically flows from an influx of refugees. Nothing you say about existing crime statistics amongst the "native" population is relevant to this topic.

However, if you must throw irrelevant statistics around with gay abandon then you should know there were 978 reported incidents of sexual offences in Dorset for 2014/2015. (Let's clarify - that's "sexual offences", not "rape" as you said above) Dorset has a population of 744,041 (2011 census) so there are 0.0013 reported sexual assaults per capita per year. That's 2.67 reported sexual assaults a day. How is this "roughly around the same figure" as 1000 reported sexual assaults in a single night in one city; Cologne?

Do your research before you challenge me.

Yes indeed, one must do their research.

The number of crimes committed on NYE in Cologne was 766 with around half of them (381) were of a sexual nature, which included 3 claims of rape.

Compared to Dorset, in 2014-2015, there were around 422 sexual offences, with 316 reported as "serious sexual offences" and more than a third (129) of sexual offences were rape. This is an 87% increase in reported rapes, compared to 2013-2014 (69).

Yes, one must indeed do their research and not go around saying that there were "1000 reported sexual assaults", especially when one has provided no source for their claims.
Reply 144
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Yes indeed, one must do their research.

The number of crimes committed on NYE in Cologne was 766 with around half of them (381) were of a sexual nature, which included 3 claims of rape.

Compared to Dorset, in 2014-2015, there were around 422 sexual offences, with 316 reported as "serious sexual offences" and more than a third (129) of sexual offences were rape. This is an 87% increase in reported rapes, compared to 2013-2014 (69).

Yes, one must indeed do their research and not go around saying that there were "1000 reported sexual assaults", especially when one has provided no source for their claims.

Again, I don't really understand where your obsession with Dorset sexual assault statistics comes from or how it is at all relevant to the topic under discussion.

But if we must revisit this:

There were 454 reported sexual assaults in Cologne (alone) on that night. But again, that's not really the same as 2.67 reported sexual assaults reported a day in Dorset is it? You said it was roughly the same. I suppose if your allowable margin of error is a mere factor of 95.13 you must be right.
Reply 145
Original post by TurboCretin
I hear rhyme is at an all-time high.

Nice one.
Original post by Howard
Again, I don't really understand where your obsession with Dorset sexual assault statistics comes from or how it is at all relevant to the topic under discussion.

But if we must revisit this:

There were 454 reported sexual assaults in Cologne (alone) on that night. But again, that's not really the same as 2.67 reported sexual assaults reported a day in Dorset is it? You said it was roughly the same. I suppose if your allowable margin of error is a mere factor of 95.13 you must be right.

You're acting like if sexual assaults were spread out (say, 4 or 5 a day), that would be completely okay.
The EU desires external control of their borders at the pressure points. If they want that they actually have to do something about the situation.

They are doing little to support Turkey/similar in this crisis (save Germany and Sweden) and have been pathetically slow to up their game and sort this sh*t out.

I guess the member states are spending too much time and money on bombing, making the situation worse instead :h:

I just sometimes want to throw my hands up in the air.

It's truly absurd for a country to think that they can bomb someone, throw open their gates to the populace of said country, and that there won't be any repercussions.

Newspapers are suggesting you can't say anything bad about Islam or it will breed radicalization. Bombing breeds radicalization. If a country bombed London and threw open their doors to refugees from England, you can bet that there would be some radicals struggling to get over there as well.

Europe is treating this whole situation with a near schizophrenic disregard for logic; They've chosen to strike at a few tens of thousands of dangerous dissidents hiding amid the regular populace with bombs, a foolish idea at the best of times. Coupling that with rhetoric about compassion is absurd and hypocritical. If they want to be compassionate, they should stop bombing. If they want to stop ISIS, they need to gather intelligence and use more focused attacks.

And then when the various governments suggest that criticisms of Islam shouldn't be made because it might radicalize people is absurd. Bombs radicalize people - The West is criticized all the time by many different groups. We haven't been radicalized by it. If a group of people are so close to violence that suggesting they have a predilection to violence will cause them to become violent, then it is clear that particular person was -well deserving of the criticism-.

I don't know. I think very foolish arguments are being given us for the current administration's actions and I have no idea what their actual goal is.
Reply 148
Original post by 雷尼克
I'm not lying, do some research before spreading your UKIP isolationist propaganda

Poor man's defence. If you can't win the argument just accuse the person you're debating with of being a UKIP supporter. Better still, BNP or even better NF. Works a charm.
I say marhaba to all of them
Reply 150
Original post by TheArtofProtest
You're acting like if sexual assaults were spread out (say, 4 or 5 a day), that would be completely okay.

No I'm not.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I just sometimes want to throw my hands up in the air.

It's truly absurd for a country to think that they can bomb someone, throw open their gates to the populace of said country, and that there won't be any repercussions.

Newspapers are suggesting you can't say anything bad about Islam or it will breed radicalization. Bombing breeds radicalization. If a country bombed London and threw open their doors to refugees from England, you can bet that there would be some radicals struggling to get over there as well.

Europe is treating this whole situation with a near schizophrenic disregard for logic; They've chosen to strike at a few tens of thousands of dangerous dissidents hiding amid the regular populace with bombs, a foolish idea at the best of times. Coupling that with rhetoric about compassion is absurd and hypocritical. If they want to be compassionate, they should stop bombing. If they want to stop ISIS, they need to gather intelligence and use more focused attacks.

And then when the various governments suggest that criticisms of Islam shouldn't be made because it might radicalize people is absurd. Bombs radicalize people - The West is criticized all the time by many different groups. We haven't been radicalized by it. If a group of people are so close to violence that suggesting they have a predilection to violence will cause them to become violent, then it is clear that particular person was -well deserving of the criticism-.

I don't know. I think very foolish arguments are being given us for the current administration's actions and I have no idea what their actual goal is.

Thank you. I tagged you into my blog post on how to handle the migrant crisis the other day because I remember us bonding over our shared way of thinking about things on another post in N&CA. Did you read it?

You talk sense, Old guy. Maybe cause your old :wink:
I love the use of unleash :colondollar:
One gets the impression that these refugees are collectively viewed as some sort of a burden, and this undermines the fact that they are just as human as everyone else :frown:

We need to share responsibility in order to alleviate the difficulties that these people are facing :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Nice one.

Thanks
Original post by Indeterminate
One gets the impression that these refugees are collectively viewed as some sort of a burden, and this undermines the fact that they are just as human as everyone else :frown:

We need to share responsibility in order to alleviate the difficulties that these people are facing :yep:

i love you indeterminate. You were my first TSR love (or maybe it was S403). (hopefully brokenlife doesn't see this)
i love you indeterminate. You were my first TSR love (or maybe it was S403). (hopefully brokenlife doesn't see this)

Aww I love you too! :hugs:
Reply 157
Original post by Indeterminate
Aww I love you too! :hugs:

Get a room already!
Let's be honest, Turkey's role in providing a haven for the early oppositional groups and Islamists means they can go **** themselves when it comes to accepting refugees, if they didn't want them they should have had the sense to crack down on anti-Assad groups.
Look like the Far right have had enough already .... Don't really have any sympathy for the migrants at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending