The Student Room Group

2024/2025 maintenance loan with pre-settled status

Hello, I am starting my first year at Uni in September 2024. It is my first time in Uni, I have moved in the UK in September 2019 and have been working in London ever since, full-time until 2023 and as of today both part-time and self employed while under universal credit. When I go to Uni I will have to drastically reduce my working hours (and if it’s too much might have to quit the job I have at the moment).

As I am now on pre settled status working in the UK for the past 4 and a half years, am I eligible for both the tuition and maintenance loan with SFE ?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hhhhhhhhvhuvccd
Hello, I am starting my first year at Uni in September 2024. It is my first time in Uni, I have moved in the UK in September 2019 and have been working in London ever since, full-time until 2023 and as of today both part-time and self employed while under universal credit. When I go to Uni I will have to drastically reduce my working hours (and if it’s too much might have to quit the job I have at the moment).
As I am now on pre settled status working in the UK for the past 4 and a half years, am I eligible for both the tuition and maintenance loan with SFE ?
Thank you

Hi there,

To be eligible for the Maintenance Loan you need to either have Settled Status or be working while you study.

Do you know when you'll get Settled Status?

Thanks, Graeme
I will be eligible on September 24th. With that information do you think SFE will grant me maintenance as I will become settled as I start my first term ?

If not as I am going to keep on working part time during my studies around 8/10 hours weekly should I mention it somewhere on the application to make sure I don’t get rejected the maintenance if I’m eligible ?
I will be eligible on September 24th. With that information do you think SFE will grant me maintenance as I will become settled as I start my first term ?
If not as I am going to keep on working part time during my studies around 8/10 hours weekly should I mention it somewhere on the application to make sure I don’t get rejected the maintenance if I’m eligible ?

Hi there, do you mean you receive your settled status on the 24th of September? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, do you mean you receive your settled status on the 24th of September? Thanks, Jason

Hello so I started my continuous residence on September 24 2019. So if I understood the information on the EUSS website right that means I can apply for settled status on September 24 2024. But after that I don’t know how long it will take for them to grant me the status (apparently it would be between 6 to 8 weeks)
Hi there,

If your course starts in September you would need to have Settled Status on or before 1st of September to be eligible for the full year as a UK national. You can still apply for the UK funding but you would need to be working to apply as a Migrant Worker. If you are then granted Settled Status during the 1st term you will need to send us your new Share Code and from Term 2 you would be classed a UK student and not a Migrant Worker. If you were awarded the Settled Status after Term 2 you would still need to continue you to be a Migrant Worker. You would need the Settled Status approved before the start of any of the terms to be eligble from that term onwards.

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
If your course starts in September you would need to have Settled Status on or before 1st of September to be eligible for the full year as a UK national. You can still apply for the UK funding but you would need to be working to apply as a Migrant Worker. If you are then granted Settled Status during the 1st term you will need to send us your new Share Code and from Term 2 you would be classed a UK student and not a Migrant Worker. If you were awarded the Settled Status after Term 2 you would still need to continue you to be a Migrant Worker. You would need the Settled Status approved before the start of any of the terms to be eligble from that term onwards.
Thanks, Drew

Okay thank you ! So I would like to clear those last points I am completely lost with so I’m sure I got it all right:

1/ as a migrant worker can I apply for finance on the website or should I send a paper form ?

2/ Is there an amount of minimum weekly/monthly hours I am required to work and or minimum monthly income I should make from my part time job in order to be eligible ? (I am on universal credit, employed part time and self-employed the rest of the time so hours can vary a lot but it would be a relief to know if there’s a mandatory minimum, as I will have limited hours free for work during my Uni terms).

3/ If I get my settled status share code after the second term, will I be able to get it approved for term three or will I have to wait for year two when I apply again for finance to move on as a Uk nation ?
Hi there,

If this is the 1st year you are applying then you will need to complete a paper PN1 form to apply as a Migrant Worker and you would need to post this back to us. We do not know if there a minimum amount of hours you will need to work but you need to be seen to be able to support yourself. If your Settled Status is approved during your 2nd Term then you would be eligible for UK funding from Term 3. As a Migrant Worker you will need to provide your employment contract with your application. The contract should include your employment start date, contracted hours per week and it should be signed & dated by the employer or employee. We would also ask for the last 3 months of your payslips and most recent P60 if available.

https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2425/ft/sfe_pn1_form_2425_o.pdf

EEA Migrant Worker Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,
If this is the 1st year you are applying then you will need to complete a paper PN1 form to apply as a Migrant Worker and you would need to post this back to us. We do not know if there a minimum amount of hours you will need to work but you need to be seen to be able to support yourself. If your Settled Status is approved during your 2nd Term then you would be eligible for UK funding from Term 3. As a Migrant Worker you will need to provide your employment contract with your application. The contract should include your employment start date, contracted hours per week and it should be signed & dated by the employer or employee. We would also ask for the last 3 months of your payslips and most recent P60 if available.
EEA Migrant Worker Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ
Thanks, Drew

Thanks so much it’s been so helpful ! So I’m finishing to complete the PN1 form. At the end when signing the document a customer reference number is asked atop the signature, am I supposed to create one somewhere or should I leave this blank ?
Hi there,
EEA Migrant Worker Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ
Thanks, Drew

hello thank you so much ! So I am completing the PN1 now on the last pages when signing, a customer reference number is required should I live this blank ? Or should I create the number somewhere ?

Thank you !
hello thank you so much ! So I am completing the PN1 now on the last pages when signing, a customer reference number is required should I live this blank ? Or should I create the number somewhere ?
Thank you !

Yes, that's right - we'll generate a reference number for you when we get your application so you can leave that part blank.

Thanks, Graeme
Good evening,

So I am filling my PN1 form as a migrant worker, I have been living since September 2019 on Pre-Settled Status under the EUSS. My question is for section 3 of the form. For questions a19, a20 and a21, I have ticked « No » for all three. But I am not sure if I should have ticked yes for a21 ? (is pre settled status considered a limited leave to remain ?).

As in the notes it says if I answered « no » to all three I’m only eligible for tuition fees. But I should be eligible for maintenance as well as I’ve been living and working in the UK for the past four years and a half. If you could guide me through this section so I tick the right answer !

Thank you
Good evening,
So I am filling my PN1 form as a migrant worker, I have been living since September 2019 on Pre-Settled Status under the EUSS. My question is for section 3 of the form. For questions a19, a20 and a21, I have ticked « No » for all three. But I am not sure if I should have ticked yes for a21 ? (is pre settled status considered a limited leave to remain ?).
As in the notes it says if I answered « no » to all three I’m only eligible for tuition fees. But I should be eligible for maintenance as well as I’ve been living and working in the UK for the past four years and a half. If you could guide me through this section so I tick the right answer !
Thank you
Hi there,

What Nationality are you?

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,
What Nationality are you?
Thanks, Ross

Hello I am French
Good evening,
Thank you

Hi there,

Pre settled would be classed as this - yes. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,
Pre settled would be classed as this - yes. Thanks, Jason

Okay so I tick « yes » to a.21 (limited leave to remain) ? Thanks
Okay so I tick « yes » to a.21 (limited leave to remain) ? Thanks

That's correct, as Jason has advised. Thanks, Ross
That's correct, as Jason has advised. Thanks, Ross

Hello so I think I’m all good although I am in between jobs (quit the last one that I’ve added as my current job to my PN1 form before sending it) but now I have quit after sending my application. Will it pose a problem as a migrant worker to get my assessment done, or will I have to wait until I get my new job later in May to register it with SFE ?

Thanks !
Hello so I think I’m all good although I am in between jobs (quit the last one that I’ve added as my current job to my PN1 form before sending it) but now I have quit after sending my application. Will it pose a problem as a migrant worker to get my assessment done, or will I have to wait until I get my new job later in May to register it with SFE ?
Thanks !

Hi there,

We would need the contract of employment for your new employer, P45 from previous employer and 3months worth of payslips for you to be eligible for Migrant Worker.

Thanks, Ross
Hi there,
We would need the contract of employment for your new employer, P45 from previous employer and 3months worth of payslips for you to be eligible for Migrant Worker.
Thanks, Ross

Okay so if I send this contract for my new employment + the 3 payslips from my previous employment along with my p45 would this work ? Because I won’t reach 3 months of payslips with my new employer before September,

Thank you

MJ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending