The Student Room Group

Wjec English Literature heroes/a taste of honey

Hi everyone,
I find it hard to answer these questions below on the test paper and every time I do so, I end up quitting and giving up half way through them and I was wondering whether anyone could give me advice on how to answer these questions because I have a mock exam tommorow.

These are the questions
- How does Robert Cormier present the character of Nicole in the Novel?
- How does Delaney present the theme of love and marriage in A taste of honey?
Both questions are 20 marks each

Please can anyone help with revision for heroes and a taste of honey wjec English literature
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I did Heroes for WJEC GCSE; in general with a character question you want to talk about what themes are explored with the character and what point the author is trying to make with that character. Usually best to structure your paragraphs by point-evidence-explain. There are many ideas with Nicole She is apparently put on a massive pedestal by the protagonist, so we often aren't really getting an objective perception of her, and this brings up ideas of young love and naivety. This sense of naivety serves to make the later events in the novel hit home even more, and emphasise the brutality of the loss of innocence, which can be related to the loss of innocence experienced by soldiers, and also serves to make it very difficult to see any of LaSalle's side with regards to "all the good" he did. To the protagonist she is sort of symbolic of his childhood, and ultimately in order to let that go and fully mature he has to let her go, and realise that things can't go back to how they were. Just a couple of half-baked half-remembered ideas but you see what you can do. Plan out some stuff at the start of the essay, just a few points, and flesh them out as you go; you may be having difficulty sticking with it because you're not making sure you know what ideas you want to talk about.

Original post by aadam4405
I'll wait
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I did Heroes for WJEC GCSE
edit: lol didn't mean to send already, hang on

I'll wait
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I did Heroes for WJEC GCSE; in general with a character question you want to talk about what themes are explored with the character and what point the author is trying to make with that character. Usually best to structure your paragraphs by point-evidence-explain. There are many ideas with Nicole She is apparently put on a massive pedestal by the protagonist, so we often aren't really getting an objective perception of her, and this brings up ideas of young love and naivety. This sense of naivety serves to make the later events in the novel hit home even more, and emphasise the brutality of the loss of innocence, which can be related to the loss of innocence experienced by soldiers, and also serves to make it very difficult to see any of LaSalle's side with regards to "all the good" he did. To the protagonist she is sort of symbolic of his childhood, and ultimately in order to let that go and fully mature he has to let her go, and realise that things can't go back to how they were. Just a couple of half-baked half-remembered ideas but you see what you can do. Plan out some stuff at the start of the essay, just a few points, and flesh them out as you go; you may be having difficulty sticking with it because you're not making sure you know what ideas you want to talk about.

I'm really struggling with English literature and also, I find it difficult to structure my ideas. Can you help me to create a plan how to tackle the question please. Thanks for the advice by the way
Reply 4
Original post by aadam4405
I'm really struggling with English literature and also, I find it difficult to structure my ideas. Can you help me to create a plan how to tackle the question please. Thanks for the advice by the way

Sorry I have quite a lot of work to do at the moment. In general you want to attack the question with your intro, then just go through each of your ideas with point-evidence-explain (does what it says on the tin; just make a point, back it up with a quote, talk about why the author is doing this), hopefully build up some bigger/recurring ideas throughout, talk about them in the conclusion. I did an essay at GCSE (thing it was How is the character of Francis presented) that my teacher used as an example; I dunno if it is on this computer but I can have a look for that perhaps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending