Durham college allocation 2016

Scroll to see replies

My son got allocated Grey, very disappointed, might be a deal breaker
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by maryley
I received an offer for English Lit last week and have been allocated to Grey College - email came through today. I originally applied to St Marys as it was an older building and I had my heart set on an older university but it does still have the gowned formals and smaller number of shared rooms and supposedly the 'best bar' of the colleges, which is always a plus!!
I haven't visited Grey, hopefully will be attending applicant days in March, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the college? It seems relaxed and friendly while still maintaining tradition which is perfect for me, I just wish it wasn't so modern!!!

Hi, I'm also an English Literature offer holder and have been allocated to Grey College (although it was my preferred choice) I absolutely loved the college and it is beautiful in my opinion. It is fairly modern but the rooms are a great size, the bar is really cute and their college library is a really good size. It's a fairly secluded college and is surrounded by nature, I'm sure you'll love it when you visit it and at the end of the day it is only where you are staying and shouldn't determine how much you enjoy your degree, but I'm sure it won't disappoint you.
Original post by dixietrix
Geology! Did you get into St. Marys? What course?

Nice!! I got a place at Mary's for Education Studies with English Lit. Very happy :biggrin:
Original post by maryley
I received an offer for English Lit last week and have been allocated to Grey College - email came through today. I originally applied to St Marys as it was an older building and I had my heart set on an older university but it does still have the gowned formals and smaller number of shared rooms and supposedly the 'best bar' of the colleges, which is always a plus!!
I haven't visited Grey, hopefully will be attending applicant days in March, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the college? It seems relaxed and friendly while still maintaining tradition which is perfect for me, I just wish it wasn't so modern!!!

I'm the same, but I'm doing modern languages instead. I always loved the look of St Mary's but never actually looked at grey, but from the looks of it there are great facilities and traditions like the formals, which is what I wanted too! Just hoping that the college doesn't dissapoint in March 🙏🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bj1
There will be offer days in March, all colleges will do so and you'll be invited once you find out which college you'll be at, and you'll stay a night there. There should be a page on the website on this.

I applied to St Mary's, also natural sciences! Visited it on the open day and it was nice and old but not tiny and round the corner from the library/ science buildings!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to St Mary's and I got allocated there. I'll be studying Law.
Trevelyan Natural Sciences, really excited now. I originally applied to Josephine Butler, however, now am worried about how much the catering costs at Trevelyan :s-smilie: anyone else find it frustrating how most colleges are catered?
Original post by Nirvana27
Trevelyan Natural Sciences, really excited now. I originally applied to Josephine Butler, however, now am worried about how much the catering costs at Trevelyan :s-smilie: anyone else find it frustrating how most colleges are catered?

Me :frown: I really wanted Butler, I can't even find prices for Van Mildert accommodation so I'm really unsure about what to do atm
Awesome!!! I'm ridiculously happy too, hopefully I'll see you there :smile:
Original post by amybonnie98
Nice!! I got a place at Mary's for Education Studies with English Lit. Very happy :biggrin:
Original post by Alex621
Me :frown: I really wanted Butler, I can't even find prices for Van Mildert accommodation so I'm really unsure about what to do atm

I'm not the only one panicking then. Wasn't sure if I could afford Durham before being allocated to fully catered accommodation.
Will it be possible to request a change of college after people have chosen their firm and insurance as some people obviously won't be choosing Durham so surely this will free up spaces at some of the colleges?
Feel like I'm the only person actually happy to be allocated Aidan's
I got my first choice college (grey) but I honestly have no idea why I picked it. I think I just looked on the pros and cons page from TSR :P.

Anyone else got into grey?
Got reallocated to Cuths... good college?
Reply 93
Original post by Louisb19
I got my first choice college (grey) but I honestly have no idea why I picked it. I think I just looked on the pros and cons page from TSR :P.

Anyone else got into grey?

Do you have a link to that pros and cons page?
Original post by Madhog
Do you have a link to that pros and cons page?

I can't find it now, I think it may have been deleted.
Applied to Castle and was allocated there! So excited! Will be studying law :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by cmaclennan
Applied to Castle and was allocated there! So excited! Will be studying law :smile:

Will be studying law too! Hope I will be allocated to castle :frown:
Anyone has any idea when will they send more college decisions (received my offer mid January)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
I have 2 durham offers (one for BA geog and one for BSc geog), applied before oxbridge deadline and got BSc around november and BA in january

applied butler for both and have been reallocated grey for BA and think i have mamaged to get butler for BSc (checked on the website thing)

however i was wanting to firm the BA and insurance the BSc, (BA is A*AA and BSc is AAA) and also really really want to go to butler

does anyone know what the chances will be of them swapping the colleges round on my two courses, surely this shouldnt be a problem as im a geography student either way so quotas wont be affected? and if so, whether to contact the colleges, uni or some kind of admission secretary?
Original post by happynosila
Got reallocated to Cuths... good college?

I applied there (haven't been allocated yet). I really liked it. Good sized rooms and location. I picked it due to the flexible options for catering.
Original post by bec_anna123
I have 2 durham offers (one for BA geog and one for BSc geog), applied before oxbridge deadline and got BSc around november and BA in january

applied butler for both and have been reallocated grey for BA and think i have mamaged to get butler for BSc (checked on the website thing)

however i was wanting to firm the BA and insurance the BSc, (BA is A*AA and BSc is AAA) and also really really want to go to butler

does anyone know what the chances will be of them swapping the colleges round on my two courses, surely this shouldnt be a problem as im a geography student either way so quotas wont be affected? and if so, whether to contact the colleges, uni or some kind of admission secretary?

Alternatively, you could firm the BSc for Butler and then you should be given the chance to switch to BA either at the end of level 1 or before arrival. It shouldn't be too much of a problem but I'd recommend contacting the administration whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Latest