The Student Room Group

Is this normal?

So I am really skinny, like really skinny. I think I weigh around 50kg (it fluctuates by a couple hundred grams each day) and I'm 5 foot 11, also I'm a guy and I just turned 16. To give you some context...
I eat a lot. On a regular day, I would eat a bowl of cereal and toast with PB and some tea, then for lunch a smallish pizza topped with cheese and salami and tomato, I would drink one of those ready made coffee cappuccino drinks from the supermarket. Then in the afternoon, I graze, normally have a slice of cake, a danish, a chocolate wafer bar thing, fruit. Then for dinner it varies, usually chicken or fish though. I rarely eat beef/lamb/pork.
I feel I should be putting on weight but I am so skinny. Why? Is it just a quick metabolism? Also I did see a doctor, I did a blood test and all they found was I was slightly anemic so I take an iron supplement pill thing everyday. Could this be caused by my very minor anemia?
I doubt its anaemia but its probably your metabolism or a genetic factor. I have a friend who's exactly like you've described and he eats everything he sees and he's basically a skeleton.
Original post by Anonymous
So I am really skinny, like really skinny. I think I weigh around 50kg (it fluctuates by a couple hundred grams each day) and I'm 5 foot 11, also I'm a guy and I just turned 16. To give you some context...
I eat a lot. On a regular day, I would eat a bowl of cereal and toast with PB and some tea, then for lunch a smallish pizza topped with cheese and salami and tomato, I would drink one of those ready made coffee cappuccino drinks from the supermarket. Then in the afternoon, I graze, normally have a slice of cake, a danish, a chocolate wafer bar thing, fruit. Then for dinner it varies, usually chicken or fish though. I rarely eat beef/lamb/pork.
I feel I should be putting on weight but I am so skinny. Why? Is it just a quick metabolism? Also I did see a doctor, I did a blood test and all they found was I was slightly anemic so I take an iron supplement pill thing everyday. Could this be caused by my very minor anemia?

Seems like more than a quick metabolism.
Reply 3
Original post by hxfsxh
I doubt its anaemia but its probably your metabolism or a genetic factor. I have a friend who's exactly like you've described and he eats everything he sees and he's basically a skeleton.

Yeah actually my dad is similar to me, and my mother as well.
The thing is I don't like being a skinny little guy...I would prefer to have a little meat on my bones...
I'm the same, but a girl. :/

I move a lot, so I presume my weight stays the same due to this.
It could be fast metabolism, it could be wooooorms (gross, I know), but that sometimes can cause people to not gain weight although they eat like crazy.
The real thing to think about is whether you feel okay the way you are at the moment - dizzy, tired etc? Remember that you are just 16. You grow like hell and your body needs to get used to it. This also takes energy etc.
Yeah actually my dad is similar to me, and my mother as well.
The thing is I don't like being a skinny little guy...I would prefer to have a little meat on my bones...

Try working out and build your muscles because that's the only way you're going to get some meat on your bones. Try something like rugby or other strength-related sports.

I wish i was like you, i'm a bit chubby and i'm super insecure about it. *cries in the corner
Reply 7
Original post by saule1116
I'm the same, but a girl. :/

I move a lot, so I presume my weight stays the same due to this.
It could be fast metabolism, it could be wooooorms (gross, I know), but that sometimes can cause people to not gain weight although they eat like crazy.
The real thing to think about is whether you feel okay the way you are at the moment - dizzy, tired etc? Remember that you are just 16. You grow like hell and your body needs to get used to it. This also takes energy etc.

I get dizzy, when I get up suddenly but I think that is just to do with the anemia...
I'm The same really ... perfectly normal ...... and i slightly aneamic aswell ( but i don't take iron supplement anymore .......
I get dizzy, when I get up suddenly but I think that is just to do with the anemia...

True.
I'd say it's all down to the fact that you're still growing. Give it some time, if you don't start gaining weight and it is still bothering you, go and see your doctor again.
That's not very much food, tbh.
Original post by Etomidate
That's not very much food, tbh.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like much to me either.

Quick Reply

Latest