The Student Room Group

Uclan....having time off...

Basically I booked a holiday wayyy before I even applied for nursing...I've literally only just realised that it's the 3rd week of my course :frown: it's only a week though. That particular week the
Hours are only small like 9-11, 1-4 etc....so I'm not missing full days but I'm worried theyl kick me off the course. I emailed the programme leader and said I had it booked before i applied and I just didn't realise till now! I'm worrying like mad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
Basically I booked a holiday wayyy before I even applied for nursing...I've literally only just realised that it's the 3rd week of my course :frown: it's only a week though. That particular week the
Hours are only small like 9-11, 1-4 etc....so I'm not missing full days but I'm worried theyl kick me off the course. I emailed the programme leader and said I had it booked before i applied and I just didn't realise till now! I'm worrying like mad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't kick you out. However, they're not obligated to give you the time off. The NMC dictates a certain amount of theory time and placement time and having a week off during term could affect your ability to reach this target. It may be that you have to cancel the holiday if thats possible.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
They won't kick you out. However, they're not obligated to give you the time off. The NMC dictates a certain amount of theory time and placement time and having a week off during term could affect your ability to reach this target. It may be that you have to cancel the holiday if thats possible.

It's not really possible no :frown: my kids have waited a long time and I've already paid for it so I'd lose all my money. So basically every hour of theory I miss I have to make up?....could I do that with placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
It's not really possible no :frown: my kids have waited a long time and I've already paid for it so I'd lose all my money. So basically every hour of theory I miss I have to make up?....could I do that with placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, because you have a separate quota for placement.
There does tend to be a bit of a contingency with hours, so there may be a bit of leeway, but no one apart from UCLAN will be able to tell you whether or not its possible I'm afraid.
Original post by wbnurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to make it up if you go over a certain amount of days, but I think theory time can be made it in form of an assignment up to a point (after that and you might end up having to intercalate/back cohort) but for placement you get given a make up placement. If you won't move the holiday, then request a move to march intake?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
You have to make it up if you go over a certain amount of days, but I think theory time can be made it in form of an assignment but for placement you get given a make up placement.

I've worked out il miss 11 hours of theory. So will they give me an extra essay then? Im getting worried now I don't want to qualify later than others for sake of a week :frown: I know it's only my first year and I'm looking ahead...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
I've worked out il miss 11 hours of theory. So will they give me an extra essay then? Im getting worried now I don't want to qualify later than others for sake of a week :frown: I know it's only my first year and I'm looking ahead...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might get away with it, but you'd have to be careful about missing any further uni (sickness/childcare issues etc). Like I said, the best people to tell you are UCLAN themselves.
Original post by wbnurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there's some days built in to miss, but if you end up over that then yes you d get a short essay to do at the end of the year. however if in that week they d started mandatory training then you d have to make up for that before placement 1.
Reply 8
Ok thanks guys. I've emailed the programme leader just waiting for him to get back to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suspect you'll be fine. The 2,300 theory hours includes 'self study' and I know for a fact that hardly anyone does the number of hours that we're supposed to do! Missing 'skills' is a bit more problematic, but not unsurmountable. Enjoy your holiday with your kids.
Reply 10
Original post by lilibet01
I suspect you'll be fine. The 2,300 theory hours includes 'self study' and I know for a fact that hardly anyone does the number of hours that we're supposed to do! Missing 'skills' is a bit more problematic, but not unsurmountable. Enjoy your holiday with your kids.

Thankyou :smile: I do hope so. I don't mind doing a short essay to make up for it....as long as it is literally short haha. Il try to! Thanks for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it will matter too much so long as you don't have any mandatory sessions that week. If you do though, you might be able to arrange to attend them the week before or after if another group has theirs timetabled for another day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending