The Student Room Group

Beyonce Homage to Black Panthers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anarchism101
But that's rather different from overthrowing the government, otherwise we'd have to class every historical rebel group ever as "terrorist", which would render it pretty much empty as a term.

That's beside the point. We're debating what is the definition of terrorism and whether it's applicable to the Black Panthers.
Original post by Underscore__
Slavery was two hundred years ago, you're making out as though segregation laws and slavery are the same thing.

I'm aware that it would have been horrible for those people but most of those people are now in their 50's if not older. America is a very different place today, it's not the 1950's anymore and most African Americans won't have any experience of living like that so in my view that's not a justification for anything.

Yet again you continue to exaggerate: 'basically all of the parents pulled their kids out of the school'. You keep trying to teach me history I'm aware of while ignoring my point; the vast majority of African Americans have never experienced that level of racism and never will so there's no reason it should be an excuse or a cause for sympathy for those who commit crime.

Some still suffer as a result of racism but racism doesn't exist because slavery did; slavery existed because of racism. The problems some African Americans have today aren't as a result of slavery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it wasn't for slavery Black Americans wouldn't be in America and thus these issues wouldn't exist.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
If it wasn't for slavery Black Americans wouldn't be in America and thus these issues wouldn't exist.

So no black people have emigrated the USA? Yes there'd be fewer African Americans but there'd still be some

Posted from TSR Mobile
So no black people have emigrated the USA? Yes there'd be fewer African Americans but there'd still be some

Posted from TSR Mobile

Majority of Black Americans are as a result of the slave trade though.
Majority of Black Americans are as a result of the slave trade though.

Without slavery more may have emigrated through choice. Without slavery JFK may not have been assassinated and Barack Obama might have worked in McDonalds. You can never really say what might have been different today if historical events hadn't happened

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without slavery more may have emigrated through choice. Without slavery JFK may not have been assassinated and Barack Obama might have worked in McDonalds. You can never really say what might have been different today if historical events hadn't happened

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point but I was specifically referring to issues among Black Americans which are partially linked to slavery.
beyonce is an idiot - don't worry :talkhand:
Good point but I was specifically referring to issues among Black Americans which are partially linked to slavery.

But without slavery Africans may have emigrated through choice, white people would still have been racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
But without slavery Africans may have emigrated through choice, white people would still have been racist

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've made my point, that's all I have to say. Free African immigration would have been different as they wouldn't have been slaves so wouldn't have had the same suffering like slaves would have. Jim crow laws, KKK would most likely not have existed as they wanted blacks to remain slaves. Slavery must have happened in order for these racist agendas to exist.
I've made my point, that's all I have to say. Free African immigration would have been different as they wouldn't have been slaves so wouldn't have had the same suffering like slaves would have. Jim crow laws, KKK would most likely not have existed as they wanted blacks to remain slaves. Slavery must have happened in order for these racist agendas to exist.

Slavery is not a prerequisite of racism and xenophobia. In fact, it is the belief that your race is superior to another that leads to oppression, not the other way around. Do you not accept that racism against Africans could have existed due to mass (free) immigration?

Though I hate to use this as an example, there is growing Islamophobia in the Western world (note I said growing and did not specify how big of problem it is) and, unless I've been missing something, we haven't been shipping Muslims over from the Middle East and enslaving them first.
Original post by BasicMistake
Slavery is not a prerequisite of racism and xenophobia. In fact, it is the belief that your race is superior to another that leads to oppression, not the other way around. Do you not accept that racism against Africans could have existed due to mass (free) immigration?

Though I hate to use this as an example, there is growing Islamophobia in the Western world (note I said growing and did not specify how big of problem it is) and, unless I've been missing something, we haven't been shipping Muslims over from the Middle East and enslaving them first.

My point was specific to Black Americans. I was referring to the KKK being made. Slavery had to have happened in order for such an organisation to exist. That's all i have to say. I stand by my point.

The Jim Crow laws existed because black people were still, by and large, seen as less human than white people. The KKK exists because some white people see every other race, particularly black people, as being below them. Slavery existed because black people were dehumanised because they were seen to be uncivilised. All of those things exist because of racism not slavery

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Jim Crow laws existed because black people were still, by and large, seen as less human than white people. The KKK exists because some white people see every other race, particularly black people, as being below them. Slavery existed because black people were dehumanised because they were seen to be uncivilised. All of those things exist because of racism not slavery

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll agree to disagree.
Everyone getting so hyped up about it.

Look, the only damn reason she pulled that stunt was to try and remain relevant. Her and her husband are a power couple, and the only way they can keep money pouring in is by keeping their names in the news, which helps their album sales - and what better way to do it than kick up a massive controversial stink at the most watched televised programme there is?

She's using american racism to keep her music relevant to modern day society to try and mask the fact that ever since she hooked up with Jay-Z her music hasn't really ever been the same. Its the same way she used her kid in the video - its a slight at her critics who insult her kids hair and her husbands 'negro nose' as I believe she termed it. Everyone thinks she's such a civil rights activist - she's just got a bloody good PR and management team, (which is a new one, because she sacked all her old ones when adele kicked her arse in the charts and she couldn't work out why).
My point was specific to Black Americans. I was referring to the KKK being made. Slavery had to have happened in order for such an organisation to exist. That's all i have to say. I stand by my point.

I agree that the KKK would likely not exist but that is just how history works.

However, we cannot say for certain that a similar highly-racist and violent organisation would not have arisen even if the mass enslavement of Africans did not happen.
You cannot honestly say that uncontrolled immigration (for example) of Africans to America would not have stirred up similar feelings of hatred which manifested itself as a highly organised movement.
Original post by BasicMistake
I agree that the KKK would likely not exist but that is just how history works.

However, we cannot say for certain that a similar highly-racist and violent organisation would not have arisen even if the mass enslavement of Africans did not happen.
You cannot honestly say that uncontrolled immigration (for example) of Africans to America would not have stirred up similar feelings of hatred which manifested itself as a highly organised movement.

Yes but the fact now the once slaves were given freedom was a major factor to such organisation. I'm pretty sure a lot of the original KKK members were former slave owners.There most likely wouldn't have been such uncontrolled immigration to America like the mass transport of the African slaves were. We most likely won't agree totally but I still stand by my point and you stand by yours.
Original post by Aceadria
That's beside the point. We're debating what is the definition of terrorism and whether it's applicable to the Black Panthers.

By the principle of reductio ad absurdum, a definition can be dismissed if shown to have absurd implications. Though in this case I don't think the problem is so much with the definition itself, but rather with what appears to be your misinterpretation of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the principle of reductio ad absurdum, a definition can be dismissed if shown to have absurd implications. Though in this case I don't think the problem is so much with the definition itself, but rather with what appears to be your misinterpretation of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll refer you to my previous post.
Original post by Aceadria
I'll refer you to my previous post.

My point remains. I am using a perfectly legitimate line of argument.
My point remains. I am using a perfectly legitimate line of argument.

Hardly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending