The Student Room Group

Can You Drop Subjects For A Level?

Say if you do 4 A-Levels will you be able to drop 1 at the end of year 12 then do the remaining 3 for year 13 if you happen to find one more difficult than you expected. People in my school said something about the courses being linear this year? im not sure what that means. Do certain schools do different things?
Original post by MercrutioCaius
Say if you do 4 A-Levels will you be able to drop 1 at the end of year 12 then do the remaining 3 for year 13 if you happen to find one more difficult than you expected. People in my school said something about the courses being linear this year? im not sure what that means. Do certain schools do different things?

From what I've been told by a teacher, when i do take a levels, i can drop one. But then I'd have to do some kind of project which is like half an a level. Which wy he recommended i take 3 in yr 12 and do the project (which also gives a decent amount of ucas points) and carry on the same in yr 13
Idk if that's correct for sure bc i'm in yr11 but this is what ive heard so - :biggrin:
Hi!

Ok so A-Levels are indeed becoming linear, meaning that you do all of the exams for the qualification at the end of the course (summer of year 13).

Because of the changes to A-Levels, most schools will only let you do 3 subjects anyway (unless you're a keen bean and want to do further maths as well) so it's unlikely you'll be able to do 4 but if you did, yes you could drop it at the end of year 12 (in most colleges).

aliyahh16 is talking about the EPQ (extended project qualification) which a lot of schools will be moving to instead of the 4th AS subject and it basically consists of a large research project and either an artefact or essay. It is worth the same as an AS in terms of UCAS points which will be 40% of an A-Level under the new UCAS tariff.

Quick Reply

Latest