The Student Room Group

Is a foundation year in engineering hard?

I have not done A level Maths or Physics. I just wanted to know from someone who already has done a foundation year in engineering what its like and how hard it is. I am hoping to do electronic or computer systems engineering if I pass the foundation year.
What uni? I am going to be doing it at Nottingham! Specifically because they claim to have a 80-90% pass rate vs other unis with an average of 60%. Not paying 9k to to fail lol, even though I have offers from some better ones, it's all just really getting in to year 1!

Also what's your background? GCSEs and a-levels/btech? You have to be pretty sure of yourself. As an example I got mainly As at GCSE, Bs at AS and need BBB for A2, probably making me a stronger candidate than someone who did bad at gcse, didn't do A-levels and hasn't experienced the stress of exams. But if you work hard and at unis which are most likely to pass then you shouldn't be fearful! Trust me A2 is another step up( I got Ds and am retaking it) and so doing Physics and maths full a-level will be tough! But I can't wait!
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're having to ask then YOU SHALL NOT PASS.
I recently gave my review to someone asking a similar question to this for the engineering foundation year at Portsmouth.
I came into the foundation year with a BTEC and literally couldn't remember anything I learnt from school so I literally started from the bottom.

Heres the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3840635
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by compsci1995
I recently gave my review to someone asking a similar question to this for the engineering foundation year at Portsmouth.
I came into the foundation year with a BTEC and literally couldn't remember anything I learnt from school so I literally started from the bottom.

Heres the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3840635

Honestly it depends on the Uni. I got an offer at Southampton and their usual 1st year engineering course was A*AA, so the foundation year was defo not going to be piss easy. Some are pretty intense as hell. Portsmouth is pretty good uni, but it's not as difficult as a Russel group or the top end of the spectrum, not to take away from your fantastic achievement but if OP goes to a russel group and hasn't truly prepared it won't end well.
Original post by Lawbringer
Honestly it depends on the Uni. I got an offer at Southampton and their usual 1st year engineering course was A*AA, so the foundation year was defo not going to be piss easy. Some are pretty intense as hell. Portsmouth is pretty good uni, but it's not as difficult as a Russel group or the top end of the spectrum, not to take away from your fantastic achievement but if OP goes to a russel group and hasn't truly prepared it won't end well.

I absolutely agree with you. The person who I knew that went to Surrey from the foundation year found it a massive step up as it's such a better uni.
Original post by compsci1995
I absolutely agree with you. The person who I knew that went to Surrey from the foundation year found it a massive step up as it's such a better uni.

Nah, I think they are all equally as good,, it's just some things are taught harder which employers like to see. Either way, your uni seems pretty damn solid in most league tables, and with some effort, find a job should be no problemo! Wish you the best in the rest of your course mate!
Reply 7
It's at Sheffield hallam.
Reply 8
I am willing to go to every lecture and stay back if I need any help. I really want to do well and finish with a degree in computer systems engineering
Original post by Bolt15
I am willing to go to every lecture and stay back if I need any help. I really want to do well and finish with a degree in computer systems engineering

It is hard but anyone willing to put the work in will get what they need and do well :smile:

I did a foundation year at leeds and probably worked 9-6 each day (excluding weekend where I did probably 12-4) this is outside of exam season though. I got 81% overall with 95% in maths and 90% in physics (it was a 'skills' module that dragged my overall down but that module was pretty much useless)

Quick Reply

Latest