The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Better in terms of the degree at the end. What will be better regarded with employers etc? When you look at league tables there is only ever two or three places between the universities but would they prefer a degree from an 'ancient' university?
Original post by StudentFZ
Better in terms of what? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArsalanBac
Hey bro I'm international as well and I had my heart set on kings it just captivated me for law. However I was rejected( low Lnat) but fortunately I have offers from Bristol and Warwick as my other top options . Though I was sad before , I'm actually more optimistic now and realize that these unis are just as good . As long as we work hard in the future I think all will be fine! Good luck with Bristol or notts whatever you chose! I still can't decide my firm between Bristol or Warwick any advise ?

Thanks man, I'd go for Bristol firstly because I'm considering it even over notts, and warwick was in clearing last year.
Original post by catherinecain
When you look at league tables there is only ever two or three places between the universities but would they prefer a degree from an 'ancient' university?

This is no way to choose your future University.

Positions on League tables are totally meaningless at this level - they swap around year by year and by the time you have graduated they'll all have changed again. Which shows exactly why this sort of obsession its all a bit silly.. 'Ancient' University - where are we, the 1940s.... The age of a University has no bearing on the degree you'll end up with or whether or not you'll enjoy being there. And if employers actually did think like this, no-one from Bath or Warwick Uni would ever get a job.

Go back to basics. Which Uni has the course that will interest you the most? Which Uni has extras like work placements, study abroad, optional units from other subject areas etc etc? Which city will be the most interesting/cheapest to live in? How far away from home is it? This is the way you choose a University - not via some nebulous scoring system that is actually designed only to sell the newspaper who sponsors it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ArsalanBac
Hey bro I'm international as well and I had my heart set on kings it just captivated me for law. However I was rejected( low Lnat) but fortunately I have offers from Bristol and Warwick as my other top options . Though I was sad before , I'm actually more optimistic now and realize that these unis are just as good . As long as we work hard in the future I think all will be fine! Good luck with Bristol or notts whatever you chose! I still can't decide my firm between Bristol or Warwick any advise ?

How many internationals that were set on Kings didn't get in?? I'm one of them

Btw I'm deciding between Bristol and Edinburgh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SebastianCanuck

Can I ask what about kings made you love it so much? I'm currently choosing between KCL and Notts, and I'm seeing them both as pretty equal right now so would love to know why you think Kings is so great :smile: ps I would definitely go for Bristol, that's the one uni I regret not applying to.
Hello guys :smile:
I know this is not the right place to ask but what exactly is student finance :biggrin: I know what it means but don't really understand how it works for European students. Do I need to register and when is the deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CJaneH
Can I ask what about kings made you love it so much? I'm currently choosing between KCL and Notts, and I'm seeing them both as pretty equal right now so would love to know why you think Kings is so great :smile: ps I would definitely go for Bristol, that's the one uni I regret not applying to.

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure to visit KCL, UCL, Queen Mary's and Nottingham and KCL came out head and shoulders above the rest. For starters (and it sounds weird) KCL seemed to care the most about me. They set me up for a full day (10-3pm) of meetings and tours and they were all brilliantly insightful. Also Kings is sort of scattered across central London, which to some can be a put off but to me was real. I found it was real in the sense that I wasn't going to be sheltered as you can get with campus unis, but I was going to be integrated into city life. Also I don't think you can beat somerset house on the Thames it's a truly beautiful piece of architecture and great centrepiece for events (they have an ice skating rink in the winter which obviously appealed to me as a Canadian). It was also really focused on growing itself through the foreign investment it'd received, which I liked. London is my favourite city (and I've visited my fair share) and to be a part of it - a real part of it - really grabbed me. This was opposed to UCL and Queen Mary's who were more campus unis.
Points on the others:
- QMUL was in a sort of sketch part of London, but had a great atmosphere about it
- UCL was like a bubble which I hated, it was like you didn't even realize you were in London when you were there
- Nottingham was a really spread out campus (I mean like holy ****), their buildings don't even compare to somerset, I've heard bad things related to crime, etcetera in Nottingham as well which put me off from applying there

I applied to KCL, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and QMUL. I got into Bristol, Edinburgh and QMUL and I'm waiting on Durham.

Bear in mind Edinburgh's international reputation- it's 21st overall in the QS rankings.
Original post by Bobkata
Hello guys :smile:
I know this is not the right place to ask but what exactly is student finance :biggrin: I know what it means but don't really understand how it works for European students. Do I need to register and when is the deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to download forms and send them off. They are not yet available for 2016-17 period. Should be on website early Mar

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms
Original post by r3cklesspixie
If you don't mind me asking, what was your LNAT score and when did you get your offer?

Oh, I got a quite pathetic score of 21😂I got my Warwick offer on November 12th and my Bristol offer on January 15th
Reply 3070
A couple of years ago I had the pleasure to visit KCL, UCL, Queen Mary's and Nottingham and KCL came out head and shoulders above the rest. For starters (and it sounds weird) KCL seemed to care the most about me. They set me up for a full day (10-3pm) of meetings and tours and they were all brilliantly insightful. Also Kings is sort of scattered across central London, which to some can be a put off but to me was real. I found it was real in the sense that I wasn't going to be sheltered as you can get with campus unis, but I was going to be integrated into city life. Also I don't think you can beat somerset house on the Thames it's a truly beautiful piece of architecture and great centrepiece for events (they have an ice skating rink in the winter which obviously appealed to me as a Canadian). It was also really focused on growing itself through the foreign investment it'd received, which I liked. London is my favourite city (and I've visited my fair share) and to be a part of it - a real part of it - really grabbed me. This was opposed to UCL and Queen Mary's who were more campus unis.
Points on the others:
- QMUL was in a sort of sketch part of London, but had a great atmosphere about it
- UCL was like a bubble which I hated, it was like you didn't even realize you were in London when you were there
- Nottingham was a really spread out campus (I mean like holy ****), their buildings don't even compare to somerset, I've heard bad things related to crime, etcetera in Nottingham as well which put me off from applying there

I applied to KCL, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and QMUL. I got into Bristol, Edinburgh and QMUL and I'm waiting on Durham.

Congrats on your offers! What was your offer for QMUL? I'm attending a Canadian school and so I'd like to know what kind of offer I'd get if I ever get one.
Original post by NR_898
Congrats on your offers! What was your offer for QMUL? I'm attending a Canadian school and so I'd like to know what kind of offer I'd get if I ever get one.

Are you in Ontario because if not I think your potential offer might be different?

My offer is below:
"A minimum of 90% in six grade 12 courses, at least five of which must be University Preparatory Courses (denoted by 4U). The sixth course could be a University/College Preparation Course (denoted by 4U/C)."
Where'd you apply?
Reply 3072
Are you in Ontario because if not I think your potential offer might be different?

My offer is below:
"A minimum of 90% in six grade 12 courses, at least five of which must be University Preparatory Courses (denoted by 4U). The sixth course could be a University/College Preparation Course (denoted by 4U/C)."
Where'd you apply?

Yep, I am. That's not bad I guess. I applied to Durham, KCL, QMUL, LSE and Leeds. Only got a decision from leeds
Original post by NR_898
Yep, I am. That's not bad I guess. I applied to Durham, KCL, QMUL, LSE and Leeds. Only got a decision from leeds

Could I ask what you're average and LNAT are?
Original post by PandyyCD97
Oh, I got a quite pathetic score of 21😂I got my Warwick offer on November 12th and my Bristol offer on January 15th

When did you apply and what are your AS/predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?
I have conditional offers from:
-Leeds and Newcastle for AAA
-Nottingham for A*AA.
Got rejected by Durham.
Waiting to hear from Bristol.

LNAT score: 27
AS levels: AABB
Predicted: A*AB (English, Biology, Maths)
UCAS was sent off by my institution mid December, sat the LNAT mid Jan(v late)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3076
Applied end of October and sat LNAT early January. Does anyone have an idea as to when I'll hear wether or not I have an offer for Bristol?
Original post by catherinecain
Better in terms of the degree at the end. What will be better regarded with employers etc? When you look at league tables there is only ever two or three places between the universities but would they prefer a degree from an 'ancient' university?
I think that employers are likely to appreciate 'ancient' universities because they have a standing reputation already built throughout the years. If both aren't far off in the league table, then I guess it's just down to how you feel about the course and location!
Original post by mattlally
When did you apply and what are your AS/predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?

I applied back in early November :tongue: I got AAAB and predicted A*AA

What about you? :smile:
Original post by PandyyCD97
I applied back in early November :tongue: I got AAAB and predicted A*AA

What about you? :smile:

I applied early December, got AABC and predicted A*AA. Still waiting on Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick!

Latest

Trending

Trending