The Student Room Group

How can I get into a top uni for economics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What about maths further maths economics physics?
Original post by TimGB
Business Studies is probably the closest subject to Economics, although it is often considered an easy A-level, and many students take it for that reason, or in the hope of earning more money in the future. So your class would most likely have a lot of people who aren't really too bothered which could be distracting. And as I've said it is relatively easy. But there are some crossovers between the subjects and if you follow rules 1, 3, 4 and 5 you may be able to get some useful information for an Economics course. But this is just me talking out of my ass, I didn't take A level business so I don't really know what it's like. I do know though that it's not highly regarded by many universities, and so should be taken as an extra subject/fourth A level.

Thanks, but i read a few uni websites and LSE have stated that they exclude business studies and if i take it, its probably gonna weaken my application
You'll definitely want A level maths, A level economics is not essential but will help a bit once you're at uni.
Original post by nobbyd

Thanks, but i read a few uni websites and LSE have stated that they exclude business studies and if i take it, its probably gonna weaken my application

you can take that route if you're interested in physics but most would recommend you get as much essay writing experience as possible.
Original post by nobbyd

Maths and further maths would already give you enough of a mathematical base for your degree (I don't think physics would add that much as economics is more statistical), for a better grounding it could be worth having an essay based subject like history.

But: It is a very respectable set of subjects and would definitely give you chances for offers, maths fm and physics also go well together so you could do really well at them all if you have the aptitude.
Original post by nobbyd

I did exactly that combination for maths, but given economics contains a lot of writing you may be better taking another humanity instead of Physics (though Physics is still a good subject).

And if business really does put off universities like that, my bad. You're probably better off avoiding business then, or at most taking it as your 4th A-level to drop in A2, but that could weaken your application.
Original post by nobbyd
Oh good luck! Do you feel that your lack of Further maths may hinder your application?

Hmm ngl I do regret not taking it now as I know it would boost my application, however when I was deciding on my a levels I wasnt 100% sure on studying economics (I had no idea what I wanted to do at all) so that's why I didn't take it. Also my parents didn't seem to like the idea of me 'limiting my options' by maths taking up 2 of my a levels.
I'm thinking now of doing an EPQ that might incorporate some further maths that will relate to economics at Uni so I hope that that will help my application if further maths is needed by the uni.
Original post by High Stakes
You need Further Maths for top unis including:

- Cambridge
- Warwick
- LSE...

I don't believe that is correct. On the Warwick website it says for economics you need maths but do not have to have further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FlyingBird
I don't believe that is correct. On the Warwick website it says for economics you need maths but do not have to have further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE:

An additional qualification in further mathematics, at any level, is preferred. However we know that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a further mathematics programme and find it helpful if applicants and/or their referees can indicate whether or not the applicant's school or college offers further mathematics classes

Meaning, if your school does offer it...Take it. If it doesn't fair enough. And from the OP I can see that his school does offer it....

Cambridge:

Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, STEP Mathematics

If he wants to maximise his chances...Especially seeing as most applicants to Cambridge, LSE and Warwick will be bringing the "preferred" FM...It's almost necessary to have Further Maths.
Some subjects that might be good for you are maths, further maths, economics, history, politics, or a science might also be good! I also wanna go to a good uni and do economics so I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry and economics. Good luck with your GCSEs! :h:
Reply 29
Original post by Christie_xx
Some subjects that might be good for you are maths, further maths, economics, history, politics, or a science might also be good! I also wanna go to a good uni and do economics so I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry and economics. Good luck with your GCSEs! :h:

Im thinking of chemistry instead of physics. What are your thoughts?

And good luck to you too haha!
:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by FlyingBird

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cant forget the competition, ultimately i want the best chance of getting in
Original post by nobbyd
Im thinking of chemistry instead of physics. What are your thoughts?

And good luck to you too haha!
:smile:

If you enjoy chemistry and find it more interesting than physics then you should definitely do it! I'm finding chemistry a lot harder than maths or economics right now but that isn't true for everyone, some people prefer chemistry :smile: hope this has helped!
Reply 32
Original post by Christie_xx
If you enjoy chemistry and find it more interesting than physics then you should definitely do it! I'm finding chemistry a lot harder than maths or economics right now but that isn't true for everyone, some people prefer chemistry :smile: hope this has helped!

haha, i enjoy physics and chemistry equally!
Are you doing economics for gcse? If so, what board?
That's great, you get to choose then! I'm actually doing economics at AS right now and it's going pretty well, you don't have anything to worry about! What GCSEs are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest