Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherrycola98
I'm doing French, Chemistry and Psychology, what about you? :smile:

Sounds good! I'm doing French, Psychology and English Language :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 161
when can we apply for accomodation? the whole process really confuses me :frown:(
Original post by annii123
Hi everyone! :smile:

I'm moving to Leeds in September for my Erasmus year and searching for a place to stay. I have quite a few questions:

Can any of you tell me which neighborhoods are not safe or not recommended to live in?
Is there a deadline for applying for student halls or when should I start searching for a flat/house share?

Is it safe to trust them that I will have a place to live in September, without going to UK? I'm in France now and a bit lost in all the information. :smile:

There is no where really terribly 'unsafe'. Just be aware that Leeds is a BIG city. You really want to be within about 2 miles of the uni if possible.
The main student areas are Hyde park and Headingly. There is also Woodhouse (tends to be a bit pricer though as it is city centre) and Burley is 'close-ish'.
As long as you are smart, lock your room and close your windows when you leave, make sure you are aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine :smile:

You must apply by the 1st of July for halls. As an exchange student you are guaranteed a place in student halls, and this is 100% your best bet. House shares can be complicated as they usually have a 12 month contract, and you obviously won't be here ALL that time, so you will pay for a house you are not using. Also finding house mates now will be difficult, you also rely on others to pay bills and generally it's a bit of a nightmare.

Also, most the good houses have already been taken by now.

http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/14/apply_for_accommodation
Original post by may_1
when can we apply for accomodation? the whole process really confuses me :frown:(

http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/14/apply_for_accommodation/2

just read all the information there and it will explain it ^.^ If you have any problems call the accommodation team, they are very lovely and will help you out
Original post by hyjacked
I think at the moment I am looking at Henry Price, the Tannery and Leodis for en-suite accommodation. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I'll be doing physics and up for going out if I have any free time!

Ummm has anyone told you that Henry price isn't really en-suite? Like it kind of is...but you share a tiny en suite bathroom with the room next door to you. It's super weird, like each bathroom has two doors going into each room. Also you share a kitchen with LOTS of people (8 or 9) and they're currently doing construction work near by (not sure if it will be done by the time you move in) I mean I was going to apply as a business student, as I could have rolled out of bed and landed in my seminars. Location is good, but that's about it, also I *think* it's the other side of campus from Physics.

Leodis seems nice enough :smile: haven't actually been inside that accommodation though.

Tannery is right opposite where I live (sentinel towers) and it's a rather large accommodation. It's very close to the city centre, but about a 20/25 minute walk to your school. It's also an uphill walk to the uni! That being said you fly down the hills home in record time, and there is a bus that goes from right outside the accommodation that will take you to morrisons or the uni for only £1 each way, and to Headingly for no more than £2. It's pretty nice inside, I'm not overly fussed on the bedrooms or en suites (comparing it to mine though which I prefer :tongue:) but the kitchens are really really nice. They're huge and have a seating area at the end, almost like a 'living space'
Thank you! I didn't know I am guaranteed to have a place in student halls! :smile:
Original post by annii123
Thank you! I didn't know I am guaranteed to have a place in student halls! :smile:

No problem at all ^.^ yup, as long as you apply by the deadline you are guaranteed some form of uni of leeds accommodation. It might not be your first choice, but none of the residences are particularly 'bad' :smile: I'm presuming you'll be here for both semesters? Even if you are just here for one you can have a contract for only one semester as well :smile: I had a flat mate from Japan last semester, and one from Korea this semester :biggrin:
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
No problem at all ^.^ yup, as long as you apply by the deadline you are guaranteed some form of uni of leeds accommodation. It might not be your first choice, but none of the residences are particularly 'bad' :smile: I'm presuming you'll be here for both semesters? Even if you are just here for one you can have a contract for only one semester as well :smile: I had a flat mate from Japan last semester, and one from Korea this semester :biggrin:

Yes, I will stay for both semesters. I'm from Latvia, but studying in France at the moment. Still can't believe I'm moving country again, got the Erasmus results only this week and feel like a lost puppy looking at uni modules, flats, etc. :biggrin:
Reply 168
Can I just ask are you guys going to be paying for your accommodation using the maintenance loan ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by may_1
Can I just ask are you guys going to be paying for your accommodation using the maintenance loan ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170

Yeah same but I'm only entitled to like just under 4 grand a year and I'm doing self catered as well so just realised how poor I'm going to be living 😭😂
Reply 171
Original post by may_1
Yeah same but I'm only entitled to like just under 4 grand a year and I'm doing self catered as well so just realised how poor I'm going to be living 😭😂

LOL, I think majority of the people will be living in poverty xD but hey, I'm sure we'll manage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know something about Carr Mills? In photos the en suite rooms look quite ok and especially for 79ppw, but I read somewhere that it's not safe to walk in that part of the city when it gets dark ( it's still only 15min walk from Uni, so don't know if I should take that seriously or not.
Reply 173
Is it true that the catered food is horrible? Does anyone know what it's like is it edible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
Is it true that the catered food is horrible? Does anyone know what it's like is it edible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I am aware in most of the catered halls you are given a card that has so much credit per day loaded onto it and you can spend that how you want in the refectory.

The refectory has a number of different choices, and it's not that bad. It is a bit pricey though and I'm not sure how much credit you get per day.

Finding somewhere to sit is also a nightmare! Also depending on your residence you only actually get about 12 meals a week. So you will still have to cook/order in for the rest of the meals :smile:
Hey, I applied for deferred entry (2017 entry).. That means I apply for accommodation next year, right? The website doesn't say anything :frown:
Reply 176
Hi guys, I just firmed Leeds today :eek: so I was wondering how I go about starting my application for accommodation?
Original post by h.xlx
Hi guys, I just firmed Leeds today :eek: so I was wondering how I go about starting my application for accommodation?

me too!!! I believe its on the accommodation page on the University website, i'm about to check it out now
Reply 178
Original post by franpavis
me too!!! I believe its on the accommodation page on the University website, i'm about to check it out now

Awesome! What are you studying and what accommodation are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just applied for accomadation for sentinel towers, the en suite rooms look really nice and I like the common room in the building but does anyone know how good it really is ( I've not been there only seen pictures) ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest