The Student Room Group

Can I do an engineering degree without physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
Lol Durham and Warwick don't even come in the Top 100 of THE rankings for Engineering, and yet Manchester's ranked 35

Yeah sure, go watch league tables that ranks thinks like research when you're going there to do an undergraduate degree.
Reply 41
Lol Durham and Warwick don't even come in the Top 100 of THE rankings for Engineering, and yet Manchester's ranked 35

haha lol exactly
don't go by league tables and stuff it fluctuates every year
Notts is a very good university as is Manchester thats all that needs to be said
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Yeah sure, go watch league tables that ranks thinks like research when you're going there to do an undergraduate degree.

Surely it isn't the lack of research that is the sole reason Durham/Warwick don't rank in the top 100...
Reply 43

but u want to be taught by ppl doing good research no?
Original post by MevMev
but u want to be taught by ppl doing good research no?

People doing good research don't necessarily know how to teach very well or deal with students needs.
Reply 45
People doing good research don't necessarily know how to teach very well or deal with students needs.

agreed
but Nottingham and Manchester have very good student support
they are good unis
cant deny that is all I'm saying
Nottingham is my Uni :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MevMev
agreed
but Nottingham and Manchester have very good student support
they are good unis
cant deny that is all I'm saying

I didn't say they were bad. All I said is that they're not the best but isn't that obvious though?
Reply 47
I didn't say they were bad. All I said is that they're not the best but isn't that obvious though?

they may not be the best in your opinion for that particular subject
other subjects though Nottingham is very good and i would go as far as saying the best
i.e. Healthcare sciences

If Manchester isn't among the best in the UK, Durham/Warwick definitely aren't the best
If Manchester isn't among the best in the UK, Durham/Warwick definitely aren't the best

They get better quality students with higher grades. You don't know how much this affects things.
I know manchester specifically said they don't accept applicants without Physics for Mechanical, Civil or Aerospace engineering. I'm not sure abour other Unis

Original post by MevMev
they may not be the best in your opinion for that particular subject
other subjects though Nottingham is very good and i would go as far as saying the best
i.e. Healthcare sciences

End of the day, unless you're doing a vocational degree like MevMev :wink: (i.e. medicine) that leads straight into an occupation, then sitting around and believing your university's name is going to open up all the doors in the world is a very bad idea.

University rank matters but whether you're a graduate from Manchester, Notts, Durham or Warwick you'll need to bring something to the table. More and more people are completing degrees so it has become much less of a priority for employers nowadays. Obviously if you're coming from London Met or Wolverhampton you're gonna be at a disadvantage but for the most part solid universities like the ones mentioned earlier will do you fine.
They get better quality students with higher grades. You don't know how much this affects things.

Wouldn't that put them higher in tables?

Did you choose your uni based on the type of people who go there?
Original post by Lawliettt
I know manchester specifically said they don't accept applicants without Physics for Mechanical, Civil or Aerospace engineering. I'm not sure abour other Unis

And here are people on this thread saying that Manchester accepts people without physics for mechanical once they have m1 and m2 😂
Original post by High Stakes
End of the day, unless you're doing a vocational degree like MevMev :wink: (i.e. medicine) that leads straight into an occupation, then sitting around and believing your university's name is going to open up all the doors in the world is a very bad idea.

University rank matters but whether you're a graduate from Manchester, Notts, Durham or Warwick you'll need to bring something to the table. More and more people are completing degrees so it has become much less of a priority for employers nowadays. Obviously if you're coming from London Met or Wolverhampton you're gonna be at a disadvantage but for the most part solid universities like the ones mentioned earlier will do you fine.

Well said!
Wouldn't that put them higher in tables?

Did I make the league tables? Who knows what other ******** criteria they used to make those tables. Like student satisfaction. So if the uni works them too hard, they rate poorly, what a joke.
And here are people on this thread saying that Manchester accepts people without physics for mechanical once they have m1 and m2 😂

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/03919/mechanical-engineering-with-industrial-experience-5-years-meng/entry-requirements/

Hey man do us a favour and message a mod to delete your account ty
Did I make the league tables? Who knows what other ******** criteria they used to make those tables. Like student satisfaction. So if the uni works them too hard, they rate poorly, what a joke.

Well on the THE ranking, I ranked them specifically only by teaching rating and the ranking stayed exactly the same :rofl:
Original post by alldayniqqa
Did you choose your uni based on the type of people who go there?

One of many reasons. I didn't want to go to a university where I'd feel out of everyone's league.

Quick Reply

Latest