The Student Room Group

BBC journalist censored for not wearing a hijab in studio...

You won't find this interesting story on the mainstream media, at least I haven't found a source. Certainly it doesn't appear anywhere on a news outlet produced by the BBC itself.

But the the Beeb have censored a video of one of its own reporters on the BBC Somalia service because of pressure from Islamists that she was not wearing a headscarf. It is unclear whether she can continue to work without the scarf in future, or if she will be forced to do so against her wishes.

You can find the background to the story in these two links:

http://somaliwayn.org/2016/02/19/uganda-video-guide-removed-from-bbc-somali-site/

http://www.shantapost.com/2016/02/27/why-did-the-bbc-somali-service-yield-to-facebook-fans-insults-of-a-somali-female-reporter-2/

Thoughts? Was the BBC right?
'In this case we took the decision to remove the piece because of concerns around our staff’s safety.'

Once again some followers of the religion of peace(TM) don't seem to have got the message that 'it's a choice don't ya know' to cover or not to cover and no one is ever forced to wear it /sarc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
'In this case we took the decision to remove the piece because of concerns around our staff’s safety.'

Once again some followers of the religion of peace(TM) don't seem to have got the message that 'it's a choice don't ya know' to cover or not to cover and no one is ever forced to wear it /sarc

You're a racist, bigot and homophobe.

I'm honestly not surprised. When I see how ignorant and backward some of the apologists are on TSR, I can't even think what it's like in Somalia.
Original post by Aceadria

I'm honestly not surprised. When I see how ignorant and backward some of the apologists are on TSR, I can't even think what it's like in Somalia.

I know but you also forgot xenophobe.

I'd make further comment but will only get reported for being 'insensitive' to Somalian 'culture'
Original post by BaconandSauce
I know but you also forgot xenophobe.

How dare you accuse me. I'm reporting you for micro aggressing me.
How dare you accuse me. I'm reporting you for micro aggressing me.

I'm terribly sorry I must always remember to check my privilege when posting and for not knowing my place I am sincerely apologetic

I'd make a joke about flagellation but wouldn't want to upset 'you know who' again.
Reply 6

I know, the intolerance and backwardness is extraordinary.

What I find depressing though is how spineless the BBC were. They totally hung this westernised, educated Somali woman (who is NOT intolerant or backward!) out to dry.

If we self censor, they win. Their threats work.

And if the BBC can't even defend their own reporter's rights to wear what they want, they can hardly be expected to spread the message of freedom from religious constraint in other areas either.
Reply 7
When in Rome...
Original post by simon_g
When in Rome...

It's the journalist's home country. "When at home, do as your Islamists do!"

This snafu is a hallmark of regressive leftism when it comes to us brown people: rather give in to the reactionary sensitivities of religious conservatives than support the secular liberals because, you know, that's 'our' thing.
Original post by Agrippatropes
It's the journalist's home country. "When at home, do as your Islamists do!"

This snafu is a hallmark of regressive leftism when it comes to us brown people: rather give in to the reactionary sensitivities of religious conservatives than support the secular liberals because, you know, that's 'our' thing.

Indeed.
Was she actually in Somalia at the time?

Also, I'm not surprised. The BBC obviously want to appeal to largest amount of people possible, if that means that means keeping the audience happy by following their cultural norms then so be it. There's no pro-Islamic conspiracy here.
"If you would know who controls you, see who you may not criticize ."
Tacitus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending