Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

PGDip Nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bioscientist_
Thank you :smile:

Just doing a quick look over the form, are there any sections that either of you said 'No' in? Or if it always has to be related to either your degree on healthcare experience if you do say 'Yes'

I managed to write at least a bit for each box but some I had more to say that others. In the FAQ at the end of the form is says:

'You can provide evidence from your previous degree(s), any short courses you have undertaken, work experience and life experiences.'

So it doesn't have to be just from healthcare experience or degree only.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 41
Thank you :smile:

Just doing a quick look over the form, are there any sections that either of you said 'No' in? Or if it always has to be related to either your degree on healthcare experience if you do say 'Yes'

Hey! Yeah I said no to one of them about social sciences or something because my degree is Bioscience too and I had no evidence to say I had any real understanding of it, figured it was better to be honest? And I would hope that one box out of all of them isn't a problem?

Still not heard anything back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
Hey! Yeah I said no to one of them about social sciences or something because my degree is Bioscience too and I had no evidence to say I had any real understanding of it, figured it was better to be honest? And I would hope that one box out of all of them isn't a problem?

Still not heard anything back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's the one that had me questioning myself. I did Economics at school but I don't think it really counts as the same thing
Reply 43
Yeah that's the one that had me questioning myself. I did Economics at school but I don't think it really counts as the same thing

Yeah I think by social sciences they mean Sociology/Psychology/Health and Social Care type stuff. I'm sure leaving one blank is okay! (I hope!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by fc93
Yeah I think by social sciences they mean Sociology/Psychology/Health and Social Care type stuff. I'm sure leaving one blank is okay! (I hope!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think being honest is the best bet! Not everyone comes in with a social science background :smile:
Reply 45
Just been messaged to say my APEL has been approved. :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by fc93
Just been messaged to say my APEL has been approved. :smile:

Amazing! Congrats!! Hopefully i'll be saying the same thing in 3 weeks or under!
Reply 47
Original post by cazcar19
Amazing! Congrats!! Hopefully i'll be saying the same thing in 3 weeks or under!

Thank you! Just need to get a 2:1 now! :s-smilie:

Mine was 7 weeks since they said they'd received it. I hope they don't keep you waiting too long. I feel a bit surprised because I thought they'd want me to make changes! Got to do my insurance choice now just in case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93

Mine was 7 weeks since they said they'd received it. I hope they don't keep you waiting too long. I feel a bit surprised because I thought they'd want me to make changes! Got to do my insurance choice now just in case!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well done, seems saying 'no' to one didn't hinder you at all. Yeah I'll just be honest with it and try and fill it out to the best of my abilities. I'll get the hours form signed tomorrow night when I'm on shift.

Keep up the good work for your degree and I'll hopefully see you in September :smile:
Reply 49
Ah well done, seems saying 'no' to one didn't hinder you at all. Yeah I'll just be honest with it and try and fill it out to the best of my abilities. I'll get the hours form signed tomorrow night when I'm on shift.

Keep up the good work for your degree and I'll hopefully see you in September :smile:

Nope doesn't seem to have been a problem. I suspect they have a limit of how many you can leave blank.

Thank you! Looking forward to it all being over soon. I have so much work at the moment! Thankfully my APEL for LSBU isn't due until June so I can do it once I've finished.

Are you for Adult or Child branch? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
Nope doesn't seem to have been a problem. I suspect they have a limit of how many you can leave blank.

Thank you! Looking forward to it all being over soon. I have so much work at the moment! Thankfully my APEL for LSBU isn't due until June so I can do it once I've finished.

Are you for Adult or Child branch? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the Southbank one an essay or the same kind of style as the Kings one? Kings seems to be the only place I've come across that does it like this. Also Kingston haven't said anything to me regarding APEL, just that they want to see my GCSE and IB certificates.

I'm for the adult branch, which one are you going for?
Reply 51
Is the Southbank one an essay or the same kind of style as the Kings one? Kings seems to be the only place I've come across that does it like this. Also Kingston haven't said anything to me regarding APEL, just that they want to see my GCSE and IB certificates.

I'm for the adult branch, which one are you going for?

It's pretty similar to the King's one. You have to fill in another table of skills but you have to get someone who has witnessed you doing the skills to sign them off, so it's a bit more complicated. I've just got so much uni work on at the moment so I need to focus on that!

Ah can't help with Kingston I'm afraid, they rejected me without even inviting me to tests! Maybe look on their website and see? APEL of some sort is an NMC requirement to be able to do the 2 year course so they must do something.

I'm for Child branch. :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by fc93

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope I don't wait too long as well. Still doing my APEL for City but I really hate it as I have to do two essays :frown:
Original post by fc93
It's pretty similar to the King's one. You have to fill in another table of skills but you have to get someone who has witnessed you doing the skills to sign them off, so it's a bit more complicated. I've just got so much uni work on at the moment so I need to focus on that!

Ah can't help with Kingston I'm afraid, they rejected me without even inviting me to tests! Maybe look on their website and see? APEL of some sort is an NMC requirement to be able to do the 2 year course so they must do something.

I'm for Child branch. :smile:

Haha ah well there you go, found one that is similar to Kings :P
I always find it funny when one uni may reject you without interview and another accepts you and they're both highly ranked for nursing. Just makes little to no sense to me.

There isn't anything on the Kingston or joint Kingston/SGUL website about APEL. Just says in the requirement that you need 575 hours of healthcare related experience. Guessing they checked that with my reference then :s-smilie:

I thought it was an NMC requirement to do a maths and english test for nursing too but on the main nursing thread I've definitely seen people speaking about a uni or maybe it was 2 that don't ask for tests.
Reply 54
Haha ah well there you go, found one that is similar to Kings :P
I always find it funny when one uni may reject you without interview and another accepts you and they're both highly ranked for nursing. Just makes little to no sense to me.

There isn't anything on the Kingston or joint Kingston/SGUL website about APEL. Just says in the requirement that you need 575 hours of healthcare related experience. Guessing they checked that with my reference then :s-smilie:

I thought it was an NMC requirement to do a maths and english test for nursing too but on the main nursing thread I've definitely seen people speaking about a uni or maybe it was 2 that don't ask for tests.

Sorry for the late reply, that is odd! Yeah maybe they checked already.

The unis who don't do tests (which I gather are few and far between) test you throughout the first year and kick you out. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Does anyone know when we are supposed to apply for bursary? I was told on the phone ages ago that NHSBSA would write to us when Kings told them we had an offer? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by fc93
Does anyone know when we are supposed to apply for bursary? I was told on the phone ages ago that NHSBSA would write to us when Kings told them we had an offer? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are right. I think the uni sends people's details to them and then they write to us. I think the bursary deadline are on thr bursary website.

Got my APL in for my insurance uni (City) and they marked it within 24hours and I passed! Just waiting for King's to get back to me now. But at least I definitely have a place somewhere :biggrin:
Reply 57
I think you are right. I think the uni sends people's details to them and then they write to us. I think the bursary deadline are on thr bursary website.

Got my APL in for my insurance uni (City) and they marked it within 24hours and I passed! Just waiting for King's to get back to me now. But at least I definitely have a place somewhere :biggrin:

Amazing that they got back to you so quickly!! Congratulations! I turned down City but I would much rather have done the essay than the forms I have to do for LSBU. I'm supposed to book into like a workshop day to get help with it? I wish I was applying with my degree already in hand, getting very nervous about getting a 2:1 and not a 2:2! (Which is all I need for LSBU but I would obviously prefer KCL!)

News just in! We have to apply ourselves and they don't write to us any more! I phoned NHS Bursaries today and you have to go online and make a BOSS account and you do everything online any time from now. I've been doing mine this morning. You just put down the uni you're planning on going to. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by fc93
Amazing that they got back to you so quickly!! Congratulations! I turned down City but I would much rather have done the essay than the forms I have to do for LSBU. I'm supposed to book into like a workshop day to get help with it? I wish I was applying with my degree already in hand, getting very nervous about getting a 2:1 and not a 2:2! (Which is all I need for LSBU but I would obviously prefer KCL!)

News just in! We have to apply ourselves and they don't write to us any more! I phoned NHS Bursaries today and you have to go online and make a BOSS account and you do everything online any time from now. I've been doing mine this morning. You just put down the uni you're planning on going to. :smile:

Im sure you will be great :smile: what else do you have left to do for your degree?

Oh that's really useful to know thanks so much! I guess I should get started on it as well!
Reply 59
Im sure you will be great :smile: what else do you have left to do for your degree?

Oh that's really useful to know thanks so much! I guess I should get started on it as well!

Thank you! I'm sure I'm panicking about nothing, I just have quite a few things to hand in still (and get grades back...) my dissertation and two exams! Eeek!

Whenever I get stressed I remember I'm in a really good position because if I don't get a 2:1, whilst it would be massively annoying, I can still go to LSBU and will still train and come out with the same thing. :smile:

Yeah it doesn't take long at all, you just have to add your qualifications post-GCSE (thankfully! Hate having to put all of those in!) and your 3 year work history and obviously your living situation.

What is your plan for living arrangements? I can't remember if it's already been asked!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest