The Student Room Group

Ultrasound

Hi there,

I'm currently a radiography student and I'm due to finish next year in May. I'm looking to go into ultrasound at some point and I've heard it can be very competitive when trying to find a training post. How long do people usually wait before finding a post and is there any way of increasing your chances? for example certain areas in the UK where theres less competioon or are there certain hospitals such as private ones where you can get the further training to go inot that modality with that hospital?

thanks
Original post by A_s0201
Hi there,

I'm currently a radiography student and I'm due to finish next year in May. I'm looking to go into ultrasound at some point and I've heard it can be very competitive when trying to find a training post. How long do people usually wait before finding a post and is there any way of increasing your chances? for example certain areas in the UK where theres less competioon or are there certain hospitals such as private ones where you can get the further training to go inot that modality with that hospital?

thanks

Yes it is competitive - diagnostic radiographers, therapeutic radiographers, midwives and nurses are all looking to get those posts.

My advice would be to qualify, get yourself a job and a couple of years experience and keep your eyes open for opportunities. One of my colleagues volunteered to go and help in the ultrasound clinic at weekends to gain experience and get her face seen. She is one of two radiographers from my radiotherapy department who have managed to get on the sonography PgDip course after a couple of years post-qualification.
Reply 3
Original post by HellomynameisNev
Yes it is competitive - diagnostic radiographers, therapeutic radiographers, midwives and nurses are all looking to get those posts.

My advice would be to qualify, get yourself a job and a couple of years experience and keep your eyes open for opportunities. One of my colleagues volunteered to go and help in the ultrasound clinic at weekends to gain experience and get her face seen. She is one of two radiographers from my radiotherapy department who have managed to get on the sonography PgDip course after a couple of years post-qualification.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

would you say it’d be better to work at a bigger Hospital for a better change at getting onto the training post or would working at a smaller district hospital be just as good
Original post by A_s0201
Thanks for your reply 🙂

would you say it’d be better to work at a bigger Hospital for a better change at getting onto the training post or would working at a smaller district hospital be just as good

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to answer that. And its not necessarily the size of the hospital that determines how many opportunities you would get. Like I said, best thing to do it get yourself a job as a radiographer and couple of years experience first, which will give you an idea of the lay of the land.

Quick Reply

Latest