The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flk10
Universities know that not everyone who receives or even accepts a place somewhere will end up studying there, so they take this into account when giving offers.

Yes. I know they give out approximately twice as many offers as they have places to account for exactly that. However, I still think it's somewhat dishonorable to accept a place you don't actually really want.

The OP said that what they really want to do is to take a year out & re-apply in 2017 so why then accept a place for 2016?
Reply 3321
Got rejected by kcl's PPL due to poor LNAT... Does anyone know if it's likely to be in clearing so that I could reapply for it?
Original post by atptcs
Got rejected by kcl's PPL due to poor LNAT... Does anyone know if it's likely to be in clearing so that I could reapply for it?

No Uni will accept anyone through Clearing who they have previously rejected for the same course.
Finally heard from bristol i'm so happy!!!
Original post by returnmigrant
Its something you have to take into consideration but it shouldn't be the only thing you think about.

Just because a Uni is offering to pay your fees for you doesnt make the course any more right for you than the other course - or that you will enjoy being at that Uni more just because of the money. However, if this means that (for instance) you wouldnt have to think about getting a part-time job and therefore could concentrate on study rather than money-juggling then £9k a year is a big plus.

The 9k covers tuition costs only. I think i would be in the same situation regarding money-juggling whilst at uni, the main advantage of a scholarship to me is less debt upon graduation and therefore less time having it hanging over my head. I've always hated the credit/debt culture we live in and want to minimise my time being in debt. The non-scholarship Uni doesn't even allow students to get part-time jobs which is another thing to consider. Would appreciate any advice, thanks!
Original post by Coreling
Yes I am a UK applicant.

Would I really get 27k more value by going to Oxford? I guess one factor that mitigates the "27k" is the increased cost of living in London compared to Oxford, though I'm not sure how big the difference is.

You're a UK applicant. Great. You can get a loan. An Oxford degree would definitely pay off as long as you do the work.
Original post by fckinfightme
Finally heard from bristol i'm so happy!!!

They're being so slow, I'm still waiting! :frown: Congratulations though! :biggrin:
Got an offer from Bristol!! So so happy honestly didn't think I would as the wait was so long
Original post by dodo15
Got an offer from Bristol!! So so happy honestly didn't think I would as the wait was so long

Did you just get the offer now? When did you apply? :smile:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Did you just get the offer now? When did you apply? :smile:

At 4:50 this evening. I applied October 20th but did the LNAT November 21st! :smile:
Original post by dodo15
At 4:50 this evening. I applied October 20th but did the LNAT November 21st! :smile:

I applied on the 1st of December and sat my LNAT later than you, on the 15th or 16th (can't quite recall :s-smilie:). Might I ask what you got in the LNAT?
Original post by IDKY
Edinburgh and QMUL, but got rejected from UCL and King's due to LNAT, and LSE (which is crazy competitive - the only thing that was negative, however, was that I did not have any real experience with law before applying... which is something I can work on in a potential gap year. I'd really like to go to King's, and I truly believe that I can get in if I get the same grades (I wouldn't send in LNAT scores as I am technically not required to...don't ask why...)+I'd have experience and I'd show more commitment to law). But yeah, thank you very much for your response!! :smile:

I also missed out on King's and Bristol due to LNAT and have decided to take QMUL, the more I look at it the better it looks, they are improving every year, have been storming ahead since becoming Russel group and have great plans.

For next year they have already increased the entry level for law to IB 38 HL,7,6,6 from this year's 37 HL,6,6,6. That is higher than King's, equal to LSE and higher than any other law school except for UCL and Cambridge.

I would look at it more closely, it could be by end of your degree it will already be seen as better than King's, which is pretty static. It could be your chance to be there while it's still doable.
Got an offer from Glasgow tonight at 18:50 :smile: So buzzing! Waited ages.

for others who are still waiting.... My LNAT score hadn't matched up with my UCAS application (because I didn't put my middle name on my LNAT booking), hence why I've had to wait so long. If you're still waiting, maybe phone and double check they have your LNAT. They can't look at your application before they your LNAT and they only contact people AFTER 31st march if they haven't had an LNAT score
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
They're being so slow, I'm still waiting! :frown: Congratulations though! :biggrin:

ikr!! ive waited months, they were the last decision i was waiting for!! thank u v much and i'm sure you'll hear soon!!!
York senior status thís morning :smile:

Still waiting on three...
Received my offer from Bristol tonight 🎉
Bristol vs KCL? 😊
People still waiting on Glasgow:
Got an Email from them today asking for personal details because they couldn't find my LNAT and need to do a full search of the database. They said my application will definitely still be considered, which means there must be at least a place or two still available. After I sent them the requested details they said I would receive a decision within a week. So if you're despairing maybe you shouldn't... Yet >:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm just desperate to know... But I haven't received any emails from either Glasgow or Edinburgh...
Original post by tamsinb123
People still waiting on Glasgow:
Got an Email from them today asking for personal details because they couldn't find my LNAT and need to do a full search of the database. They said my application will definitely still be considered, which means there must be at least a place or two still available. After I sent them the requested details they said I would receive a decision within a week. So if you're despairing maybe you shouldn't... Yet >:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just pointing out, LNAT scores have nothing to do with how well you debate and reason, a bad score can be reflective of a bad day or simply not enough preparation... And they aren't used as a definite, they are only used to boost an application, can I ask what your score was?

Secondly, the scholarships given out by Kings also allow those who couldnt afford to go to university a greater chance at succeeding and incentive to apply... for a university that is basically the same level as UCL, that is more philanthropic than those who see students simply as investments...

The hilarious thing is that if I hadn't turned down UCL, WITH my LNAT score of 23 and my predicted grades of A*A*A*A, then we would probably have been sitting in the same room together next year.:smile:

Original post by jonstran
This is pretty much the reason I'm turning down Kings. Even if those on here claiming Kings offers with 18 or 20 or whatever are a bunch of trolls, there is no way I'm sitting in a class with 23 LNATs. No offense but clearly UCL are much more discerning on this point which is really going to matter when it comes to being able to do moots, reasoning, etc. together.

Decided once and for all. Don't even think I'll bother with the offers day. UCL all the way. That and they don't offer money to get people, either.

Latest

Trending

Trending