The Student Room Group

Could you live off £14 a week?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I've been pretty chill about finances up until today, until I realise I've got my household income pretty wrong and using the student finance calculator, I'll be getting about a grand less than I thought I would.

Leaving me with like £24.33 a week, I took out £40 for a monthly shop and this is over 42 weeks, and this leaves me £14 a week. I have friends who seem to be balling it out in Uni, where as I'll be dirt broke.

Isn't it a bit unfair to assume that my parents will cover the difference that others get from student finance just because they earn more? I know someone who lives in a single parent house and gets lots of money but she's an only child and her mum owns her house and she's kind of old (late 40s or 50) so she doesn't spend as much.

Whereas I have a sibling, my family don't own property in the UK, they need to pay for things like nursery. So its not like they just have all this disposable income to hand over to me.

Does this include an income from a job? Have you looked at grants from your uni? What type of accomodation are you going for? You can always back out of some luxuries, maybe go for a shared room if you don't mind it, go to shops like lidl instead of other supermarkets and cook in big, cheap batches so one big £4 dinner lasts you a few days. And as for going out, pay for club entrance but just have strong predrinks? Buy a big bottle of vodka or tequila and have a few drinks before you go so you won't have to buy any at the club
Original post by RonnieRJ
Does this include an income from a job? Have you looked at grants from your uni? What type of accomodation are you going for? You can always back out of some luxuries, maybe go for a shared room if you don't mind it, go to shops like lidl instead of other supermarkets and cook in big, cheap batches so one big £4 dinner lasts you a few days. And as for going out, pay for club entrance but just have strong predrinks? Buy a big bottle of vodka or tequila and have a few drinks before you go so you won't have to buy any at the club

I've looked up a grant and they're only for achieving high grades or being from a low income household. I was planning to get a job anyway but I thought it'd just be a bonus on an already decent amount, I don't know any of my friends at uni who work and they all go out 3 times a week, I'm fairly sure they're not as poor as they claim to be. My friend went on two back to back holidays (without returning to the Uk) before going to uni, has a huge mac pc, like I'm apparently high income but I swear my family have nothing.

I tend to do the whole predrinks thing anyway, I guess shopping at lidl makes sense.
I've looked up a grant and they're only for achieving high grades or being from a low income household. I was planning to get a job anyway but I thought it'd just be a bonus on an already decent amount, I don't know any of my friends at uni who work and they all go out 3 times a week, I'm fairly sure they're not as poor as they claim to be. My friend went on two back to back holidays (without returning to the Uk) before going to uni, has a huge mac pc, like I'm apparently high income but I swear my family have nothing.

I tend to do the whole predrinks thing anyway, I guess shopping at lidl makes sense.

Hm try to get the best grades possible and maybe you'll qualify for one of them? Also if you end up running out of money I think a lot of unis have emergency loan facilities too.

Hm you can always get a part time job over summer to save up some money for the year, then still have a job at uni. Say you get a job and work two 8 hour shifts a week and that's all, that's 16 hours a week for about £6 an hour. If you do it for 8 weeks you'll get over £750 extra, or almost £20 a week more. And when you're at uni, say you do 12 hours a week at about £6 that's already £72 extra.

Lidl bakery is really good btw, breakfasts sorted for 50p
Original post by BradleyLawrence
Your argument that parents should have saved for you is ignorant in a lot of ways. Firstly, you presume all parents had the same high income since the birth of said kid. Secondly, What if the parent just does not care about the child going to university? Thirdly, what if poor financial management has left the household crippled in debt? Fourthly, What happens when a moderately ok income is spread across more than two children in london where everything is so expensive? Not everything is so easily done as you proclaim, the system does not give students, who are old enough to go live alone enough to survive with. It is a dumb system and highlights the killing off of the middle class families across the country.

They shouldn't be having children then....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AccountingBabe
They shouldn't be having children then....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so dumb, so it's bad that young parents managed to earn above a threshold? It's wrong that my family pays more in and gets less out, **** you

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so dumb, so it's bad that young parents managed to earn above a threshold? It's wrong that my family pays more in and gets less out, **** you

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should have been saving for you and managed their finances before even having children... But no they had two children and didn't bother thinking about the consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They should have been saving for you and managed their finances before even having children... But no they had two children and didn't bother thinking about the consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not aware of anyone who does this, you make it sound like a requirement. Saving up to pay for a child's full university before they are born is really only doable if you are earning a lot or if you're old, I'd rather take having some more years of my parents being in life than some extra spending money at university tbh.

Why is it that parents who are 50 and somehow have kids my age who earn below a threshold for no apparent reason seem to be fine then? It's not like everyone who is low income is also disabled, so in their 50 years of life they can't manage to get a higher paying job and because of that they get treated for it? They didn't save up anything either, so that is ridiculous.

If I had been born like 2 years earlier and applied to university then back when my mother had a lower salary, I would've gotten more money without the expectation for them to save up for my university, which once again is a ridiculous concept.
Easily, and have lived on less. This said, I certainly don't want to again.
she's kind of old (late 40s or 50) so she doesn't spend as much.

??? Still choking on this. Don't kind of old people spend money?
(edited 8 years ago)
that is a struggle.
Reply 30
Original post by JamesN88
What about the j word. 1 day a week would solve your problems.

I don't have time for Jesus
Original post by whorace
I don't have time for Jesus

Lol, I walked right into that one.
Original post by Compost
??? Still choking on this. Don't kind of old people spend money?

Not as much, people that age tend to already have a house and most of their other family is dead or dying so they don't spend money on them really.

Most of my who tend to have older parents, their parents seem to drive them everywhere, like I go to the pub with my friends and we go out and one of their parents turn up at 3am to pick them up. They seem to spend almost nothing on themselves and give the rest to their child.

Or at least that's what it must be like, some of my friends claim that their household income is 20,000 a year. Despite that, I don't see any difference in our quality of life despite them claiming to have less than half my household income.

They already have a house which his parents have apparently owned for longer than I've been alive, they don't appear to be poor at all. He has a really expensive gaming pc set up, goes on all the expensive trips abroad like everyone else etc.

So unless he's lying about how much they earn, I can't see how his parents can be spending much on themselves.
If I absolutely had to, of course I could, it wouldn't be particularly pleasant, but I wouldn't die or have a nervous breakdown. :dontknow:
I'm not aware of anyone who does this, you make it sound like a requirement. Saving up to pay for a child's full university before they are born is really only doable if you are earning a lot or if you're old, I'd rather take having some more years of my parents being in life than some extra spending money at university tbh.

Why is it that parents who are 50 and somehow have kids my age who earn below a threshold for no apparent reason seem to be fine then? It's not like everyone who is low income is also disabled, so in their 50 years of life they can't manage to get a higher paying job and because of that they get treated for it? They didn't save up anything either, so that is ridiculous.

If I had been born like 2 years earlier and applied to university then back when my mother had a lower salary, I would've gotten more money without the expectation for them to save up for my university, which once again is a ridiculous concept.

You're right... It's not the normal! But it should be and there is no one else to blame for your shortfall other than your parents.

Get a job during uni and stop being such a victim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right... It's not the normal! But it should be and there is no one else to blame for your shortfall other than your parents.

Get a job during uni and stop being such a victim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not being a victim, I am annoyed at how obnoxious you are. I blame the people who don't earn any money and take the biggest share of the government money, why should I blame someone who worked hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not being a victim, I am annoyed at how obnoxious you are. I blame the people who don't earn any money and take the biggest share of the government money, why should I blame someone who worked hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because someone doesn't earn much it does not mean they don't work hard. Good grief.

I did sympathise with your frustrations, but after that comment just no.
Original post by SophieSmall
Just because someone doesn't earn much it does not mean they don't work hard. Good grief.

I did sympathise with your frustrations, but after that comment just no.

I don't care for your sympathy this person has taken me to my wit's end, I don't even consider my family as 'earning a lot', only one parent even earns above minimum wage.

Sympathy won't get me anything, I am just annoyed by this assumption that someone should be saving up for a scenario they have no experience with, should I save up in case my future children want hover boards, how am I even to know how much one will cost? Especially considering how the prices seem to increase every year for everything.

Why are those who earn low income not expected to save up before they have children then? What a horrible double standard.

So it's my parents fault they don't have a couple thousand to spare to give to me but if they earned less then it wouldn't be their fault?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't care for your sympathy this person has taken me to my wit's end, I don't even consider my family as 'earning a lot', only one parent even earns above minimum wage.

Sympathy won't get me anything, I am just annoyed by this assumption that someone should be saving up for a scenario they have no experience with, should I save up in case my future children want hover boards, how am I even to know how much one will cost? Especially considering how the prices seem to increase every year for everything.

Why are those who earn low income not expected to save up before they have children then? What a horrible double standard.

So it's my parents fault they don't have a couple thousand to spare to give to me but if they earned less then it wouldn't be their fault?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't care about the argument you are having with that user. My only qualm with you was your statement that if someone earns less they don't work hard. It was incredibly naive and insulting thing to say.
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't care about the argument you are having with that user. My only qualm with you was your statement that if someone earns less they don't work hard. It was incredibly naive and insulting thing to say.

Well I found what they said insulting too, I apologise if you found what I said insulting but I just find it ridiculous how all my low income friends seem to be having such a good time at uni, going out more than 3 times a week, buying brand new iPhones, breaking them and buying another new one in the same week, having takeaway food all the time etc.

Then I hear about my friends who don't receive much loan and they had to save up through work before, don't go out as much and try to live cheap.

I mean a little bit extra for those without money makes sense but they seem to get such a good deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest