The Student Room Group

Weird bowel movements - super stressed and anxious please give advice

For the past 4 days I have had on/off stomach aches (in the centre of my stomach, maybe a bit on the higher side). And then I have also had a bowel movement in the evening but felt like I hadn't fully emptied my bowels and then followed by a second, smaller bowel movement like an hour later. Could this be because for the past 4 or so weeks I have been really anxious about my bowel movements and overthinking it? It all started because I felt my bowel movements were looser than normal. Then for a couple of weeks things started to get better and they weren't as loose. But about a week ago I feel like it started to get weird again and idk its stressing me out so much. I'm scared something's wrong with me or its going to get worse. And I don't know what I will do if I keep having weird bowel movements because I want them just to be regular and normal for when I share a bathroom in my uni house in september. I'm so worried about it and sometimes I feel like my bowel movements have been weird for about a year but then surely if they were I would have noticed? Because I keep trying to remember how long I've felt this way but obviously I can't because its not something you usually think about. Please can anyone give advice? I just want to go back to regular bowel movements and not overthinking them all I do atm is think about it constantly.
This is why you have a GP. Go see them.
Original post by artful_lounger
This is why you have a GP. Go see them.

But what do I say because its difficult to remember what I've been experiencing :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
But what do I say because its difficult to remember what I've been experiencing :frown:

Just write it down in advance as and when you experience it. Then you have a written record and can just read off that in the appointment.

show them this post :smile:
Definitely go & see your GP, I’m not saying there’s anything ‘wrong’ here, but if anything is diagnosed, the sooner the better.
Reply 6
This could definitely be a symptom of anxiety! I know many people who get mild IBS symptoms during periods of stress. I recommend speaking to a GP about it though.
Just write it down in advance as and when you experience it. Then you have a written record and can just read off that in the appointment.

Ok I guess so. Its also tricky because I'm at uni and only registered with my home GP - I didn't want to register at uni because I like my GP at home and also I'm still at home half the time so I didn't see the point (especially because my uni's only about an hour and a half away). Would this be a problem tho?
Ok I guess so. Its also tricky because I'm at uni and only registered with my home GP - I didn't want to register at uni because I like my GP at home and also I'm still at home half the time so I didn't see the point (especially because my uni's only about an hour and a half away). Would this be a problem tho?

just want to add that most of the appointments they do are over the phone at first anyway
Original post by Esh3
This could definitely be a symptom of anxiety! I know many people who get mild IBS symptoms during periods of stress. I recommend speaking to a GP about it though.

Ok i hope it could be that then although i don't usually get IBS symptoms when im anxious about other things so idk. But then again I have found that when I notice any sort of symptom I tend to focus on it which can make it worse/mean it carries on for longer. Idk I try and over-analyse everything so much and I know its not like I can figure out whats happening by overthinking but I do it anyway.
For the past 4 days I have had on/off stomach aches (in the centre of my stomach, maybe a bit on the higher side). And then I have also had a bowel movement in the evening but felt like I hadn't fully emptied my bowels and then followed by a second, smaller bowel movement like an hour later. Could this be because for the past 4 or so weeks I have been really anxious about my bowel movements and overthinking it? It all started because I felt my bowel movements were looser than normal. Then for a couple of weeks things started to get better and they weren't as loose. But about a week ago I feel like it started to get weird again and idk its stressing me out so much. I'm scared something's wrong with me or its going to get worse. And I don't know what I will do if I keep having weird bowel movements because I want them just to be regular and normal for when I share a bathroom in my uni house in september. I'm so worried about it and sometimes I feel like my bowel movements have been weird for about a year but then surely if they were I would have noticed? Because I keep trying to remember how long I've felt this way but obviously I can't because its not something you usually think about. Please can anyone give advice? I just want to go back to regular bowel movements and not overthinking them all I do atm is think about it constantly.

Write down what you are eating. it could be something that triggers you off. my daughter is white bread or white pita bread. It irritates her so she goes more. Plus it also make her more tierd as well. since shes given it up shes much more alert and normal movements. it was trial and error but she found they was the main culprits.
But having a movement, only to have one smaller one an hour later is totally normal and happens to most people. But definitely monitor what you eat. If your sharing a bathroom everyone has to go at some point during thier time there. So everyone can contribute to room spray or something nice that communal so everyone can use it when they go.
Anxiety-related probably. Stress sets off my IBS. Worth a natter with your doctor.
(edited 1 year ago)

No idea, ask them.

You should register with a GP at your university if you spend more than half of your time there. You can only get emergency treatment at a GP you're not registered at for up to 14 days - and I'd wager you're more likely to spend more than 14 days at a time in your uni city than at home.
No idea, ask them.

You should register with a GP at your university if you spend more than half of your time there. You can only get emergency treatment at a GP you're not registered at for up to 14 days - and I'd wager you're more likely to spend more than 14 days at a time in your uni city than at home.

Idk I think there's no point doing that now because I'm going home at the start of June and won't be back at uni until end of September.
Idk I think there's no point doing that now because I'm going home at the start of June and won't be back at uni until end of September.

Probably worth registering with a GP where you actually live when you do go back to uni then. Unless you live close enough to your old GP to go for routine appointments there (which it doesn't seem to be the case).
(edited 1 year ago)

By all accounts it sounds like your okay - specifically, due to the fact things cleared up for a substantial period then got worse. Makes me think it’s likely a diet/anxious thing. Phone your GP, and if you get any severe unbearable pain call NHS 24.
Sounds anxiety related.You are becoming fixated on this and the sooner you tackle the anxiety the better.
Reply 17
Original post by Scotney
Sounds anxiety related.You are becoming fixated on this and the sooner you tackle the anxiety the better.

yeah I was beginning to think it was just anxiety related but now I'm panicking again because I'm scared I saw blood in the stool. It was a little bit of red on the toilet paper and I thought it was food but when it smeared it fell apart and left a tiny red stain so now I'm scared it was blood??
Reply 18
yeah I was beginning to think it was just anxiety related but now I'm panicking again because I'm scared I saw blood in the stool. It was a little bit of red on the toilet paper and I thought it was food but when it smeared it fell apart and left a tiny red stain so now I'm scared it was blood??

There are many non serious things that can cause this.See what happens over the next few days.

Quick Reply

Latest