The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

I don't see anything wrong with celebrating someone else's culture...
If it is worn to offend then obviously that's an issue but other than that it shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't think safe-spaces are a bad idea. When slurs demeaning women are thrown around everywhere in the name of "banter", when the cultural practices of minorities are mocked, parodied and/or appropriated by people who neither understand nor appreciate the context and history behind them, when marginalised people are told to "get over it" and "deal with it" - then I can see why said marginalised groups would require safe-spaces to discuss their issues in the absence of harmful, dismissive attitudes prevalent elsewhere.

So essentially treat women and minorities like babies.

There isn't necessarily any benefit in discussing issues away from 'harmful' or dismissive attitudes, particularly in universities. This creates echo chambers where an almost masturbatory sense of victimhood will flourish, and a place where people only learn that they're always right. The offended and the 'marginalised' aren't infallible: they can get carried away with things, they can be wrong, they can be irrational. There's no-one to tell them this in a "safe space".

Don't want people offending, criticizing, or challenging your beliefs and sensibilities? Set up these 'safe spaces' on your own time at home. A University is supposed to be an open environment with free speech, free expression, and freedom of debate; not a place where people are coddled and hidden from potential upset. People should use this time at University to learn, argue, and be challenged. There aren't going to be any " safe spaces" in the real world.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
So essentially treat women and minorities like babies.

There isn't necessarily any benefit in discussing issues away from 'harmful' or dismissive attitudes, particularly in universities. This creates echo chambers where an almost mastabotory sense of victimhood will flourish, and a place where people only learn that they're always right. The offended and the 'marginalised' aren't infallible: they can get carried away with things, they can be wrong, they can be irrational. There's no-one to tell them this in a "safe space".

Don't want people offending, criticizing, or challenging your beliefs and sensibilities? Set up these 'safe spaces' on your own time at home. A University is supposed to be an open environment with free speech, free expression, and freedom of debate; not a place where people are coddled and hidden from potential upset. People should use this time at University to learn, argue, and be challenged. There aren't going to be any " safe spaces" in the real world.

Well said. PRSOM.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
It's easy to see safe spaces as juvenile if we refuse to acknowledge the invisible burdens that some people carry more than others and the different needs that they might have. Victims of rape and other such incidents have various avenues to get immediate help, and they have their own safe-spaces. But just because you are unable to relate to the problems faced by these groups, it doesn't mean the concept of safe-spaces is somehow flawed. Sure, there's a time and a place for debate, mockery, banter and whatnot, but sometimes these groups feel the need to take breaks - which is perfectly fine.

Safe spaces are not juvenile, it only becomes so when people need a safe space for every little thing. It would be alright if people used it for breaks but it's known not to be the case.
It's silly to ponder why rape victims get immediate help versus someone who had a breakdown because they heard the word "******". Which one has a bigger mental strain? There's a fine line between relief and babying.
It takes maturity to confront your issues and confess that you are carrying the burden in the first place. It's only invisible because they themselves refuse to acknowledge it.
And going back to the rape victim vs name calling, both do need help but only one needs a safe space. If someone cannot recover from even that, then they are unfit to enter the adult world anyway.
I actually wonder how these safe space type people are going to function in the real world. Mollycoddled children.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Which part don’t you get amigo?
I 'get' it, "amigo". I just don't see how any self-respecting man could say such a thing.

But I guess the answer is self-evident.
Original post by Shillary
I 'get' it, "amigo".

Two different kinds of inverted commas, and in such a short sentence. :facepalm:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Two different kinds of inverted commas, and in such a short sentence. :facepalm:

Spoiler

What is wrong with that?
What is wrong with that?

It's inconsistent.
Original post by Hydeman
It's inconsistent.

How so?
How so?

I think it's self-explanatory. :erm:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Only the French/Italians should wear jeans! :pierre:

Oops, I'm stereotyping a Frenchman with that emoticon! :cry2:

Actually, trousers come from the Persians, more cultural appropriation!
Original post by Hydeman
I think it's self-explanatory. :erm:

I obviously disagree thus you saying that was about as useful as your existence...
I obviously disagree thus you saying that was about as useful as your existence...

You obviously adhere to a very personal definition of the word 'inconsistent' if you disagree that that was inconsistent. I was using the conventional definition. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You obviously adhere to a very personal definition of the word 'inconsistent' if you disagree that that was self-explanatory. I was using the conventional definition. :tongue:

I disagree that it was inconsistent. :erm:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Which part don’t you get amigo?

It’s an inexorable by-product of factors integral to encouraging celebration of/active immersion in/inculcation of diversity, inclusiveness, and cultural exchange. I’d have thought you’d be broadly supportive (except in instances of clear bigotry/disrespect)

I have some sympathy for them in this respect, but how is Kim doing any of those things in dressing up as Princess Jasmine? :confused:

You have rather a rare and idiosyncratic definition of exploitation if it includes replication, imitation, and satire, my love

Thank you

You can’t have it both ways sugar. Either all cultural appropriation is wrong, or just the type that involves intentional mocking (Kim cannot be included in this, narrower, sub-definition)

So you would never do such a thing again? Darling, have you seen your own avatar!? :laugh:

Actually, you’re not far wrong, as it turns out it appears she was Ptolemaic (Macedonian) Greek in descent, and you are Levantine (from a people who originate from SE Europe, the Levant, and semitic regions that extend into what was the Ptolemaic kingdom) :innocent:

Imitating the character ostensively serves as to condone/lend support to Disney/American cultural appropriation

Yet you’re happy to dress up as, and fantasize about acting out, her character:mute:

Exotic simply means foreign and (hence) unusual. It’s a novelty/charm factor, but not predicated on any particular fetish necessarily

So long as our desires remain aligned this question is moot; should there be any divergence, well, then we can have a conversation :bandit:

Yet you don’t want to live in a world devoid of classic comedy and satire, so you self-evidently do see how positive (energy) comes of it. I think part of the problem here is that you’re putting out a very confused message as to what you mean by cultural appropriation. Additionally, you must see how for a character like Kim or Lawrence, a lot of ‘good’ comes, from their POV/that of their fans/followers, from their cultural appropriation

That, and, more to the point, the fact they’re paranoid about falling foul of anti-discrimination and anti-terror legislation (providing a platform for prejudice and extremism)

Have y’all never heard women going on about men? Truth is the worst slurs on both genders tend to come from women. Are we crying about it? Nope. We suck it up and laugh at them/ourselves, no problem. It’s called stiff upper lip + self-deprecation, two very British traits :chaplin:

1) What does minority vs. majority status have to do with anything?

2) What is wrong with a little light teasing/satire?

3) What about members of ‘minority’ groups who mock/satirise their own culture?

4) Where do you draw the line with 'appropriation' e.g. along civilisational lines, regional, national, linguistic, local-geographic, ethnic, tribal?

5) What happened to the ‘one world’ paradigm, and the denial of the ‘them and us’ (only applies when it suits certain ‘progressive’ narratives)?

What of the billions of non-Western people who form majorities in their own lands who have appropriated Western cultural elements with little or no understanding of such things. Are they committing some kind of sin too e.g. by trying to join us in the 21st century/better their societies/lives?

Absolutely agree, but they have the law to protect them at any rate, and safe spaces in the form of private/membership based counselling, peer-support, clubs, groups, meetings, and venues, but not on taxpayer/tuition fee payer time, money, facilities, and not to the exclusion of others who have every right to make full use of such resources, and engage freely in public forums (a hard fought right, under international law), hell no!

Sure,I don't mind culture's learning from one another but cultural appropriation of a culture that you have no business appropriating?really? No thanks. These things never end well and people suffer mentally or emotionally.

She's trying to appropriate middle eastern culture when she doesn't have a clue about the history of said culture.

No hunny, I'm just not about exploiting and degrading minority cultures for the sake of satire and comedy.

princess jasmine is supposedly supposed to be from the middle east? so how am i appropriating middle eastern culture if I already follow the culture myself?

Exactly, Therefore i have yet to culturally appropriate any culture other than my own.

so Kim Kardashian is therefore lending a hand to american cultural appropriation?

Not necessarily acting out her character,but dressing up,sure :wink:

So that would suggest there is one standard of beauty,which is the European standard and anybody that falls outside that category is deemed exotic?

glad to hear it :wink:

I can understand Lawrence of Arabia,But what good comes out of Kim Imitating a Disney character?

Yes but not everyone is the same. People take cultural and racial issues very seriously. I just don't see the big deal,if these victims are actually affected by these issue,for the university providing them with a space. If they genuinely feel threatened or uncomfortable then....
Original post by queen-bee
Omg Thank You!

(Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
I don't think safe-spaces are a bad idea. When slurs demeaning women are thrown around everywhere in the name of "banter", when the cultural practices of minorities are mocked, parodied and/or appropriated by people who neither understand nor appreciate the context and history behind them, when marginalised people are told to "get over it" and "deal with it" - then I can see why said marginalised groups would require safe-spaces to discuss their issues in the absence of harmful, dismissive attitudes prevalent elsewhere.
Omg Thank You!

So, let's be clear: you are saying, in your view:

I may not mock the French cultural practice of having a very long lunch hour (mocking)

An Australian may not mock an Englishman by telling the joke Q: How do you get a pom out of the bath; A: Throw a bar of soap in.

I may not go to a fancy dress party dressed as an Arab (parody)

I may not cook a chicken tikka masala for friends at a dinner party (cultural appropriation)

I may not offend you by criticising your religion.

I may not go to work dressed in a sarong and a fez.

I may not upset you by telling you that the concept of cultural appropriation is ridiculous.

But, the following is permitted:

You (a non-Arab) can go to a fancy dress party dressed as an Arab princess.

A black Englishman can go to a fancy dress party dressed as Sherlock Holmes.

You can tell me, an atheist, I am destined for eternal hellfire, even if I am offended by that.

You are permitted to cook coq au vin for your guests, and to serve them brandy and port with Cuban cigars.

Your grandfather (a Levantine) is permitted to go to work in a pinstripe suit) and a bowler hat.

You are allowed to tell me I am being oppressive as I am white and insufficiently knowledgeable about other cultures.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Only at Universities

Well, if people suffer mentally and emotionally when these forbidden things happen, they must do so outside universities too.
Original post by Good bloke
So, let's be clear: you are saying, in your view:

I may not mock the French cultural practice of having a very long lunch hour (mocking)

An Australian may not mock an Englishman by telling the joke Q: How do you get a pom out of the bath; A: Throw a bar of soap in.

I may not go to a fancy dress party dressed as an Arab (parody)

I may not cook a chicken tikka masala for friends at a dinner party (cultural appropriation)

I may not offend you by criticising your religion.

I may not go to work dressed in a sarong and a fez.

I may not upset you by telling you that the concept of cultural appropriation is ridiculous.

But, the following is permitted:

You (a non-Arab) can go to a fancy dress party dressed as an Arab princess.

A black Englishman can go to a fancy dress party dressed as Sherlock Holmes.

You can tell me, an atheist, I am destined for eternal hellfire, even if I am offended by that.

You are permitted to cook coq au vin for your guests, and to serve them brandy and port with Cuban cigars.

Your grandfather (a Levantine) is permitted to go to work in a pinstripe suit) and a bowler hat.

You are allowed to tell me I am being oppressive as I am white and insufficiently knowledgeable about other cultures.

That's not what I've said

I,a person of middle eastern heritage cant dress up as an Arab princess character? Are you serious?!

What religion got to do with cultural appropriation? Religious hate speech is just as bad as race hate.

You're allowed to upset me all you like but cultural appropriation,no matter who is appropriating the culture,shouldn't be acceptable if it's mocking and exploiting said culture.

I as a Levantine/Italian,wouldn't decide to go and exploit another person's culture and take all the credit for it.
Original post by queen-bee
I as a Levantine/Italian,wouldn't decide to go and exploit another person's culture and take all the credit for it.

You talk as though cultures were something that people were entitled to as a birthright and as if they were trademarks. Why is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending