The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by babawunga
Can you explain how wearing clothes from a different culture is mocking said culture?

Not so much just wearing them. But wearing them for a particular purpose be it mockery or to gain attention(exploitation)
Original post by queen-bee
Not so much just wearing them. But wearing them for a particular purpose be it mockery or to gain attention(exploitation)

How can you prove the purpose someone is wearing something?
Do you see me call myself an Arab? No! I am from Syria,the levant.

Quite! Yet you feel justified in dressing as an Arab princess (despite not being an Arab) while denying that opportunity to my white wife. Where is the consistency?

it is only a few minutes ago that you made the spurious claim that all Syrians are Arabs, by the way.
(edited 8 years ago)

You are not from Syria because you weren't born there.

Syrians are Arabs

:toofunny:

I'm done.
Actually, a genuine question for y'all. By universities creating space spaces,are they acknowledging cultural appropriation exists?

As Good bloke explained earlier, you're conflating two different things.

Anyway, I explained this to you before: they are simply capitulating to the stupid demands of students whose money they need to be able to do all the things that they want to do as institutions. I'd be seriously worried if leading universities were doing this out of a principled commitment to protecting their students from being exposed to ideas that they don't like.

(Bearing in mind now that this has almost nothing to do with 'cultural appropriation.' Safe spaces are a tangentially related issue, but are quite distinct from the grievances being discussed right now.)
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm done.

Yep. You called yourself an Arab on this very thread a few hours before you also claimed that you're not. :colondollar:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3943765&page=16&p=63353369#post63353369
Depends how religious you are I guess.Where have I said Arabs are a skin colour? And who here is painting the UK to be racist? We are talking about this individual case and these individual students making a mockery. I don't know what victim complex you're talking about,I have white friends,I'm mostly white myself,they've never tried to appropriate my middle eastern culture.Who has said the whole of society is racist? We are talking about this particular issue. Again,you seem to be confusing race with religion. I'm an Arab,a Christian Arab but do I hate atheists? Nope. Do my Syrian family hate atheists? Nope. Do my Middle eastern friends hate atheists? Nope. I think you're confusing this whole story alittle. Nobody is talking about the UK as a whole. We are talking about this individual case right now,so for you to try and brand all Arabs as atheist hating is abit confusing to me.Most of our culture is the same. That's what unites us as Arab. The language and culture,sure we have changes and differences here and there but we are mostly the same,so yes it does represent Arabs unless you specify which country in the Arab world.

You also appear to think that you're Italian, referring to 'my own culture'.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3943765&page=21&p=63369151#post63369151

Italians are white,are they not? It's sad to see that pizza is not specific to my own culture anymore
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Achaea
Yep. You called yourself an Arab on this very thread a few hours before you also claimed that you're not. :colondollar:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3943765&page=16&p=63353369#post63353369

You also appear to think that you're Italian, referring to 'my own culture'.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3943765&page=21&p=63369151#post63369151

I was referring to Arabs in general. Most Syrians identify themselves as Arabs. I like to make it simple for people who don't know what The levant means

I don't appear,my father was an Italian,or do you have a problem with that?

actually contribute to the thread instead of acting childish?
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm done.

Wellcome to the club. :cool:

I'm done.

The majority of Syrians achoose to identify so( as Arabs)
Original post by Good bloke
Quite! Yet you feel justified in dressing as an Arab princess (despite not being an Arab) while denying that opportunity to my white wife. Where is the consistency?

it is only a few minutes ago that you made the spurious claim that all Syrians are Arabs, by the way.

I may not identify as an Arab but I speak the language and follow the culture,does your wife do the same? Does she have any knowledge of the Arabic language,the history of the region?

Well,most Syrians choose to identify as Arabs whether or not they
You are not from Syria because you weren't born there.

You don't get to police what I choose to identify as. I'm half Syrian and half Italian
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you literally 12? :rofl:

Anyway can you please answer TimmonaPortella's questions? Or do you admit your iq is too low to think of a response?

I doubt my IQ is very low if I was able to achieve a first in my first degree and then go on to secure a place at a prestigious med school :u:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Let's leave aside other people's presumed feelings for the moment and analyse the situation.

Do you recognise the distinction I drew between English and Chinese appropriation of aspects of Japanese culture as respectively not okay and okay?

Yes,I get that
This thread has now turned into people trying to police my own heritage :laugh:
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, but you never got back to me when we were discussing this earlier, so I didn't want to let that happen again. :tongue:

Ah, okay. :yy: That's understandable.

How does wearing Arab dress count as ridicule? :s-smilie: You're assuming only the lowest motives for Good bloke (or any other non-Arab) dressing that way when you say that he just wants to do it to attract attention, and I don't think that that's justified. Is the King of Jordan being malicious when he makes a state visit dressed in a smart suit and tie?

Also, do you think that this would be true if it was reversed? If minorities 'appropriated' parts of the majority culture to look edgy and cool? Would that be equally contemptible?

What I'm trying to say is that, if you don't allow any mixing of cultures, then you're not arguing for a well-assimilated multicultural society like you claim to be doing.

I don't think you'll find people agree it works the other way around. This whole cultural appropriation thing is focuses on the minority exploitation by the majority

You know I'm a huge fan of multiculturalism and race mixing but I'm not about the business of taking advantage of minority cultures
(edited 8 years ago)
About a quarter are not Arabs.

I know that but they still choose to identify as Arabs because of the culture and language? I doubt any of us are able to speak the language of our ancestors before the Arabs invaded our lands
You seem to be conflating one concept (safe spaces) with a different one (cultural appropriation. Just as you earlier conflated Arabs with Levantines.

I'm sorry but the majority of this forum do not even know what a Levantine person is so you have to simplify things for them by just saying Arab to avoid further confusion. I identify as a Levantine,but when I speak to people who have never heard of such a thing,I just simplify for them :wink:
Original post by admonit
Wellcome to the club. :cool:

Do you still not agree about the Arab Jews conversation we had?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending