The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
how many times does this have to be repeated?

It doesn't have to be repeated. You just have to explain the logic of what is wrong and why, and why it only applies to majorities "appropriating" minority cultures and not the other way round. Please go back to my examples and tell me why each is OK or not OK, as you promised last night. also explain why you don't want proper assimilation (which the concept of cultural appropriation appears to forbid).

If you really don't understand then that is fine. All you need do then is say so and not try to teach us about it when you don't understand yourself. And remember the lesson for the future.

It would help if you stopped sneering at us and assuming we don't know what we are talking about as well as you do. To say you are Arab as we may not understand Levantine is patently ridiculous and insulting as well as being misleading - and, in this debate, dishonest. The truth is you are a half-European half-Levantine non-Arab who has never lived in Syria.

To claim that a Syrian necessarily understands what is going on in Syria better than a Briton is also ridiculous, particularly if the Syrian is (a) half-Syrian and (b) a non-resident.
Original post by generallee
On another thread you claimed to be of English ethnicity.

You don't know what you are, do you?

Except for someone desperately seeking attention! We can all see that...

you are a nasty bully.
Original post by the bear
you are a nasty bully.

you are a bear.
Do you still not agree about the Arab Jews conversation we had?

Do you still think that Arab Jews are Arabs? :smile:
I may not identify as an Arab but I speak the language and follow the culture

If you speak Arabic language, follow Arabic culture and look Arabic - then you are an Arab. :cool:
Reply 484
Original post by Mathemagicien
Only the French/Italians should wear jeans! :pierre:

Oops, I'm stereotyping a Frenchman with that emoticon! :cry2:

You need to put a Breton shirt on him and string some onions around his neck. Then have a speech bubble saying "It is I. l'eclaire"

Then he'd be a true Frenchie!
Reply 485
Original post by admonit

If you speak Arabic language, follow Arabic culture and look Arabic - then you are an Arab. :cool:

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; probably is a duck.
Reply 486
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant not too long ago and ate, as is the tradition, with my fingers. I suppose that was cultural appropriation; the restaurant owners should rightly have objected to a white cracker like me using my fingers and handed me some damn silverware.

Same with chopsticks - I apologise for having tried (and usually failed miserably) to use them in the past. I'll just use a plastic spoon next time so not to cause offence.
Original post by generallee
On another thread you claimed to be of English ethnicity.

You don't know what you are, do you?

Except for someone desperately seeking attention! We can all see that...

I can't be ethnically English,so your point is moot but English/British,in a sense that I live in England/UK

I'm pretty sure I've made it clear what I am,some people just can't seem to stand me saying it. How are people still having difficulties understanding this,I also have mentioned it in my profile if you can't seem to understand it on this thread.. Or as another user,good bloke, has just simplified for everyone's understanding:

'truth is you are a half-European half-Levantine non-Arab who has never lived in Syria.'

If I'm attention seeking don't bother quoting me If you can't stand me, you don't get to police me
(edited 8 years ago)
you are a nasty bully.

I feel so bullied :frown:
I feel so bullied :frown:

:console:

the a-hole filter needs replacing
Original post by admonit

Yes

It's not as simple as that. I am a Levantine,I speak arabic,I follow the culture but I'm not really an Arab?
:console:

the a-hole filter needs replacing

Thank you habibi :h:
Yes

It's not as simple as that. I am a Cutie,I speak Cutely,I follow the Cuture but I'm not really a total Cutie?

:ahee:
Original post by Good bloke
It doesn't have to be repeated. You just have to explain the logic of what is wrong and why, and why it only applies to majorities "appropriating" minority cultures and not the other way round. Please go back to my examples and tell me why each is OK or not OK, as you promised last night. also explain why you don't want proper assimilation (which the concept of cultural appropriation appears to forbid).

If you really don't understand then that is fine. All you need do then is say so and not try to teach us about it when you don't understand yourself. And remember the lesson for the future.

It would help if you stopped sneering at us and assuming we don't know what we are talking about as well as you do. To say you are Arab as we may not understand Levantine is patently ridiculous and insulting as well as being misleading - and, in this debate, dishonest. The truth is you are a half-European half-Levantine non-Arab who has never lived in Syria.

To claim that a Syrian necessarily understands what is going on in Syria better than a Briton is also ridiculous, particularly if the Syrian is (a) half-Syrian and (b) a non-resident.

I have answers your questions and even gave you an example of your wife trying to appropriate middle eastern culture and you chose to ignore it.

Yes,it's misleading, but the majority of levantines still choose to see themselves as Arabs,is that misleading too even tho they know full well they are not ? Ofcourse but they still say it
I'm sorry but the majority of the kids on this forum no idea what the levant region is.

Yes,you're right. I am a half European-half Levantine non Arab who has visited Syria multiple times before this whole tragedy
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 494
I can't be ethnically English,so your point is moot but English in a sense that I live in England.

A goat may live in a stable; that doesn't make him a horse.
(edited 8 years ago)
:ahee:

:laugh: naughty!
Original post by Howard
A goat may live in a stable; that doesn't make him a horse.

I was told I'm just as English as the next person who was born here and has ancestors here,not that I agree with that.
Original post by Hydeman
We're definitely going in circles now, because I've explained this twice, this being the most recent instance:

That would be the case if I held on to this belief irrationally. But I don't; I've argued my case as best as I can, and I welcome any challenge to it from anybody at all (who isn't on my ignore list :innocent:).

My issue here is that you refer to them as victims before any consensus has been reached on whether they are victims. I thought about highlighting this earlier: there was one instance where you were discussing whether they were victims while at the same time referring to them as such, which I thought odd, but meh. Too late to look for it now.

We determine whether they are victims or not by looking at the matter reasonably. Why do they feel that they 'own' their culture? Are they entitled to prevent people from wearing what they like in a free society? These aren't questions that have produced answers thus far that would allow us to say that these people are the victims of any injustice that exists outside their imaginations.

This isn't true. Good bloke cited a number of examples, as did TimmonaPortella, as did I (well, I cited two). You even briefly addressed some of them.

I think one of the great problems with this discussion is that you, speaking on behalf of the people who believe that this is a real thing, don't have a very consistent definition of what you mean by this. I don't mean that as a personal attack, but previously you've defined it as exploitation/taking advantage of/taking credit for minority cultures (with a less than satisfactory explanation for why the majority/minority distinction is at all relevant if we consider this objectively).

On further questioning, you've defined 'exploitation/taking advantage of/taking credit for' as adopting parts of the culture with malicious intent and, when this has been shown to be unworkable and arbitrary by counter-example, you've retreated and said that you don't understand it that well yourself and aren't an expert, only to repeat the same things moments later.

I just don't think this is a tenable line of argument, circular as it is. :dontknow:

This makes no sense, for the reasons that I've previously explained. You don't support multiculturalism if you support people feeling entitled to their culture in a way that encourages segregation.

Edit: This is also an example where you talk about something whose existence/severity is in dispute in a way that assumes that this information has already been agreed upon. It hasn't; we're still talking about it.

I feel they are victims. If they weren't,the university would bother giving them counselling or even cancelling the whole event.

Look,I don't care whether you choose to believe in cultural appropriation or not. We seem to going around in circles and it's just getting tiring now.
If you don't want to accept that minority cultures are being exploited on university campuses is up to you,I also have never claimed to be an expert on such matters but I do believe such a thing exists and people have the right to voice their grievances to their universities.

Hmm interesting you say this. I can still integrate with other cultures without the need to feel like I have to take advantage of said culture
Reply 498
I was told I'm just as English as the next person who was born here and has ancestors here,not that I agree with that.

I don't agree with that either.

I'm originally English myself but emigrated to the US in 2001 and eventually became a US citizen. However, to think of myself as just as American as my native born neighbours is ridiculous. And, I say this, even though I share the same culture and ancestral heritage with many of those neighbours.
Original post by Howard
I don't agree with that either.

I'm originally English myself but emigrated to the US in 2001 and eventually became a US citizen. However, to think of myself as just as American as my native born neighbours is ridiculous. And, I say this, even though I share the same culture and ancestral heritage with many of those neighbours.

I only think of myself as English/British in an integration sense and the fact that I was born here but other than that,being middle eastern and Italian is what I've always identified as coming first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending