The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by N-R-G
I know you repped me and I appreciate that but lets be honest that won't be happening again for a while but didn't you say your origins were Arabian and didn't the Muslim Arabs oppress the Africans of egypt wasn't Cleopatra an African? Isn't that therefore the exact opposite of cultural appropriation?

She has as much Arab blood in her as me.
Original post by N-R-G
I know you repped me and I appreciate that but lets be honest that won't be happening again for a while but didn't you say your origins were Arabian and didn't the Muslim Arabs oppress the Africans of egypt wasn't Cleopatra an African? Isn't that therefore the exact opposite of cultural appropriation?

Arabian in a sense that I'm from Syria but I'm not exactly an Arab,I just speak the language,nor am I a Muslim. According to good bloke,cleopatra is actually Greek/ Macedonian,similar to my Levantine heritage
Original post by N-R-G
Did queen bae say that about the MMR?

I don't know. Not in this thread. It is an example of why doctors must think before leaping in to support something they don't understand.
Reply 723
Original post by Good bloke
She has as much Arab blood in her as me.

Oh right what's she going on about then? It doesn't matter.
Original post by queen-bee
Maybe to you these matters are just trivial but it looks not to others and the universities providing them with safe spaces

I really want to check out the KCL one and I wonder if my new university will have one

You keep trying to make it seem this safe spaces were created because of the threat of cultural appropriation. This is simply not the case. They were created for the permanently offended to be shut away from the world so that they don't have to interact with normal people. Safe spaces are for all of the SJW victims.

Perfect for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why? If you are excluded through having no personal power, why am I not too?

Why won't you answer my question about modern day Greek and Macedonian culture?

You know why,check the definition of CA
Reply 726
Arabian in a sense that I'm from Syria but I'm not exactly an Arab,I just speak the language,nor am I a Muslim. According to good bloke,cleopatra is actually Greek/ Macedonian,similar to my Levantine heritage

She was related I think to the ancient Greek royal family but I'm sure she was African. Oh what's Levantine?
Original post by DiddyDec
You keep trying to make it seem this safe spaces were created because of the threat of cultural appropriation. This is simply not the case. They were created for the permanently offended to be shut away from the world so that they don't have to interact with normal people. Safe spaces are for all of the SJW victims.

Perfect for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not an SJW,Being a minority I understand where these victims are coming from and I'm glad they're being catered for if it is mentally and emotionally damaging
Original post by N-R-G
She was related I think to the ancient Greek royal family but I'm sure she was African. Oh what's Levantine?

Ask good bloke,he seems to know a lot about my people.
Original post by StrawbAri
Three hours and two pages later we still haven't come to a conclusion?

Okay:
1. 'Cultural Appropriation' is a non issue. There are many more things we need to be offended about (i.e. People still thinking the world is flat. wtf?)

2. It's strange that it only applies to white people. Once my Lebanese friend came to a Halloween party dressed up as Prince Babajide the internet scammer and no one batted an eyelash. I wonder what would happen if it was a white person that did that.

3. If one wishes to borrow and incorporate parts of foreign culture one finds beautiful/interesting then they can by all means.

4. If we stop cultural appropriation my (Nigerian) mum's Chinese restaurant will get closed down and you don't want me to be poor do you? :frown:

/end thread

Just read Queen Bee logic to see why it has gone on so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be from Syria you actually have to be from Syria (not born in the UK to a German Mother and an Italian father.)

Are you from Syria Queeny
Ask good bloke,he seems to know a lot about my people.

Which people? The Germans or the Italians?
Original post by BaconandSauce
To be from Syria you actually have to be from Syria (not born in the UK to a German Mother and an Italian father.)

Are you from Syria Queeny

Hahaha yes I am as Syrian can be,do not police my heritage. I love Syria and Italy to bits,Germany isn't my country,just my mother's birth place
Which people? The Germans or the Italians?

Levantine people and our heritage,please give a brief outline,remember when I told you half the people on this site do not know what a Levantine person is but no,you didn't listen
Hahaha yes I am as Syrian can be,do not police my heritage. I love Syria and Italy to bits,Germany isn't my country,just my mother's birth place

As Syrian as a actual Syrian? you know someone born there to Syrian parents in the country called Syria

Or as Syrian as someone born in the UK to and Italian father and a German Mother:biggrin:
I'm not an SJW,Being a minority I understand where these victims are coming from and I'm glad they're being catered for if it is mentally and emotionally damaging

You are. Cultural appropriation is SJW territory, regressive segregation.

What is actually damaging about it? Seeing someone eat the food of your heritage or wear the clothes for your country?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Levantine people and our heritage,please give a brief outline,remember when I told you half the people on this site do not know what a Levantine person is but no,you didn't listen

I know exactly what a Levantine person is. You have never lived there, and your parents are German and Italian. You are just as much Levantine as Ronald Reagan was Irish.
Original post by BaconandSauce
As Syrian as a actual Syrian? you know someone born there to Syrian parents in the country called Syria

Or as Syrian as someone born in the UK to and Italian father and a German Mother:biggrin:

As Syrian as someone born there to Syrian parents

Stop saying I am German when I clearly am not and don't identify as such.
Original post by DiddyDec
You are. Cultural appropriation is SJW territory, regressive segregation.

What is actually damaging about it? Seeing someone eat the food of your heritage or wear the clothes for your country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wearing the clothes of my country without knowing its history and mocking it,that's what I have a problem with. 'Borrowing'
I know exactly what a Levantine person is. You have never lived there, and your parents are German and Italian. You are just as much Levantine as Ronald Reagan was Irish.

What Is a Levantine then?!

My mother is not German,she is Levantine. Stop saying that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending