The Student Room Group

Advice on where to live in London as a student

Looking for a safe location, with good local amenities, and no more than 30mins commute into central London. Thank you
Original post by londonhunting16
Looking for a safe location, with good local amenities, and no more than 30mins commute into central London. Thank you

Which part of central London, and what's your budget?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What university?
Original post by Origami Bullets
Which part of central London, and what's your budget?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Covent Garden area and around 360k
Original post by lyrical_lie
What university?

Greenwich :smile:
Greenwich :smile:

Cool I actually used to live near Greenwich uni when I first moved to London. I lived in Deptford, which although not the nicest was cheapish. I paid £600 for a room including bills. Near Canada Water, walking distance to a Lidl, big Tesco, cinema etc.

Also if you start going out towards New Cross etc it'll get even cheaper. Are you not staying in student accommodation?

Greenwich as a town is lovely, very touristy with pretty cafes for breakfast and shopping. I took my mum there a few Christmases ago and it was very picturesque. It's not particularly near the centre on London though, Canada Water is on the the jubilee line which takes you to London Bridge/Waterloo within about 30/45 minutes. Basically look at a tube map and work your way backwards until you can afford somewhere.
Cool I actually used to live near Greenwich uni when I first moved to London. I lived in Deptford, which although not the nicest was cheapish. I paid £600 for a room including bills. Near Canada Water, walking distance to a Lidl, big Tesco, cinema etc.

Also if you start going out towards New Cross etc it'll get even cheaper. Are you not staying in student accommodation?

Greenwich as a town is lovely, very touristy with pretty cafes for breakfast and shopping. I took my mum there a few Christmases ago and it was very picturesque. It's not particularly near the centre on London though, Canada Water is on the the jubilee line which takes you to London Bridge/Waterloo within about 30/45 minutes. Basically look at a tube map and work your way backwards until you can afford somewhere.

I am not entering in the first year, so wouldn't really want to stay in student accommodation. Nice to hear that Greenwich area is a nice place from your experiences.
Reply 7
Also if you start going out towards New Cross etc it'll get even cheaper. Are you not staying in student accommodation?.

I have friends in New Cross and they think it's going back the way it was in the 80s/90s, with Somali drug gangs moving in. I'd be inclined to go a bit further these days - Lewisham is on a direct line to London Bridge and Waterloo. Greenwich is pretty pricey by comparison, but you do get what you pay for.
I am not entering in the first year, so wouldn't really want to stay in student accommodation. Nice to hear that Greenwich area is a nice place from your experiences.

Fair enough! It is nice but as the other poster said, definitely pricey. Nice market though lol. I loved wandering around it on a Saturday!

Original post by Klix88
I have friends in New Cross and they think it's going back the way it was in the 80s/90s, with Somali drug gangs moving in. I'd be inclined to go a bit further these days - Lewisham is on a direct line to London Bridge and Waterloo. Greenwich is pretty pricey by comparison, but you do get what you pay for.

Greenwich is definitely pricey, and that's annoying New Cross seemed fairly residential when I was there. However that was only once or twice visiting friends.
Original post by Klix88

Thanks for the advice!
I've lived in North London in the corridor between Kentish Town, Holloway and Finsbury Park since 2008 and have never really considered living in another part of town.

I lived in Southfields for 2 years and loved it. Fulham and Putney also really nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
come brixton g

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending