The Student Room Group

Should I bother going to uni? Will any good uni take me now?

I finished college in 2014 and was predicted AAB and got BBC...

This absolutely crushed me and I decided to do an apprenticeship instead. Long story short, the apprenticeship is fairly decent but I have no social life and feel like I want to go to university.

I achieved an A in my AS year for History, but ultimately ended up with a B in History, B in English Lit and C in photography. What makes it worse is I think I was about 4 marks off an A in English literature.

I am not happy and still regret these choices for A Levels.

I have gained a qualification through my apprenticeship, would this help?

My question is, through clearing, do I have any chance of getting into a top 20/ top 10 university now?

Would I have to apply now or wait will next year? Would my year and a half gap year be of any use? I am now 20.

I am feeling lost, confused and worried so would just like any advice people can give :smile:!
I got CBB in my grades (B history, B geo and C English Lit & Lang). I managed to get a unconditional offer from a top 40~ uni that isnt a ex poly, its possible to get into a good uni depending on what you want to study but I hate to say this its extremely unlikely you'd get into a top 20 uni unless you did a foundation year. If you want to apply now im afraid the deadline for equal consideration is gone (16th of Jan) so any application you make now will be late. You could try clearing though. Dont give up hope because you got a CBB in your Alevels you can stillget into a decent uni with those grades and if you want to REALLY get into a top 20 uni your going to have to do a foundation year.
Original post by biscuit824

This absolutely crushed me and I decided to do an apprenticeship instead. Long story short, the apprenticeship is fairly decent but I have no social life and feel like I want to go to university.

I achieved an A in my AS year for History, but ultimately ended up with a B in History, B in English Lit and C in photography. What makes it worse is I think I was about 4 marks off an A in English literature.

My question is, through clearing, do I have any chance of getting into a top 20/ top 10 university now?

Would I have to apply now or wait will next year? Would my year and a half gap year be of any use? I am now 20.

I am feeling lost, confused and worried so would just like any advice people can give :smile:![/QUOTe
these grades are unlikely to get you into top unis but there are many that will accept you and perhaps you should enter your subject and grades into what uni and see who are likely to take you. It doesn't have to be a top uni there are many excellent ones
Original post by biscuit824

I am feeling lost, confused and worried so would just like any advice people can give :smile:!

Your best bet is to email admissions at the universities you are interested in asking if they have any places left and if they would consider you with the grades you have. I doubt they will be interested in your apprenticeship because that is a vocational qualification and university, with a few exceptions, is largely academic and especially so at the top unis.
Are you eligible for Access to Birmingham (Uni of B'ham) and Access to Leeds (Uni of Leeds)? They knock two grades off so you can apply for ABB courses.
I know someone that left school at 16 - so no A levels/ first degree- got qualified under apprentice scheme - applied for a masters requiring I or IIi in first degree - and was accepted at top Uni (top 2). Never give up hope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending