The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellawhite4686
ah thats annoying! yes I'm really looking forward to it :smile: do you want to be added to the Facebook group chat for law applicants at durham?

Have fun! :wink:There's a Facebook group? Yes please! :biggrin:
Original post by yvchan
Have fun! :wink:There's a Facebook group? Yes please! :biggrin:

sure! message me/ comment here a link to your facebook profile and i will :smile:
Original post by stratagems
Congratulations! Did you receive the same offer for both (grades wise)?

Does anyone know if Durham's admission will give specific individual feedback rather than just a link to the web page with all possibility of reasons?

A*AA durham AAA bristol, were you rejected by durham ? :frown:
collingwood :smile: are you visiting next week?

My boyfriend is currently at Collingwood and I have stayed there myself - it is an absolutely awesome college! It really reminds me of an American High School, and I think it has one of the best 'party' atmospheres.

The last time I went to stay a rich alumnus came to give a talk - afterwards he went to the college bar and put UP TO TEN THOUSAND POUNDS behind the bar which meant we all got free drinks all night. I'd tell you how amazing the night was but I remember absolutely none of it :wink:

Hope you love Durham x
I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to assess the chances of me getting into Oxbridge.

Predicted GCSEs: 6 a*s, 6 a's, 2 bs
A-Levels: Maths, History, Economics, Politics
Course: Law or Law with American Law
Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aquaxo
My boyfriend is currently at Collingwood and I have stayed there myself - it is an absolutely awesome college! It really reminds me of an American High School, and I think it has one of the best 'party' atmospheres.

The last time I went to stay a rich alumnus came to give a talk - afterwards he went to the college bar and put UP TO TEN THOUSAND POUNDS behind the bar which meant we all got free drinks all night. I'd tell you how amazing the night was but I remember absolutely none of it :wink:

Hope you love Durham x

wow thank you!! sounds amazing, can't wait!
While I've signed in to turn off notifications following rejections, I wanted to know whether unis such as LSE and others checks applicant's social profiles such as Facebook and Twitter etc when making any decisions when all other things e.g. academics etc are equal....and its a tight call for the selectors on a particular day as heard rumours going around amongst the students in the neighbourhood that students at some public school and independent colleges are being advised to restrict their social media profile or set their public profile at neutral level. Any comments....#LSE #UCL #KCL #Oxford #Cambridge #QMUL #Durham
Original post by fabruttledge
I've emailed Nottingham requesting a time period in which they'll reach a decision.
Fed up of the wait and just want it over with!

As am I!! Let us know their reply please !
While I've signed in to turn off notifications following rejections, I wanted to know whether unis such as LSE and others checks applicant's social profiles such as Facebook and Twitter etc when making any decisions when all other things e.g. academics etc are equal....and its a tight call for the selectors on a particular day as heard rumours going around amongst the students in the neighbourhood that students at some public school and independent colleges are being advised to restrict their social media profile or set their public profile at neutral level. Any comments....#LSE #UCL #KCL #Oxford #Cambridge #QMUL #Durham
Original post by UKStudent2016

I've just googled it and they can and have done.
Original post by Cholesta
I've just googled it and they can and have done.

Thanks. It's not surprising given current times we live in and fierce competition that would only get more tough.
Original post by justmemphis
I'm currently in y11 at a good grammar school, and was hoping that someone would be able to assess the chances of me getting into Oxbridge.

Other: will do EPQ, 5+ weeks of law related work experience, manage local football team, 4 school sports teams, 2 other sports teams, bronze (will have gold) DofE, will attend Cambridge law conference, probably more which I've forgotten

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Cambridge law this year and ended up being pooled and rejected, had 5A*4A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2.

The biggest tip I could give someone which I wish I would have known before was to read like crazy. Going into the interview without having an extensive academic reading history was a major disadvantage. I found that the interviewers expect not only that you are an academic person in terms of grades, but also that you are academic in terms of a huge amount of extra reading. For example I was asked to discuss my favourite novel, something I really struggled to answer. So if I was you I would start reading the 'classic' type of book, build up a lot of general knowledge about literature, politics and philosohy, write a highly academic personal statement and you should do a lot better!
Hope this kinda helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fabruttledge
I've emailed Nottingham requesting a time period in which they'll reach a decision.
Fed up of the wait and just want it over with!

no hopes left but still PLEASE let us know of their reply!!!!
A*AA durham AAA bristol, were you rejected by durham ? :frown:

Ah, interesting - Bristol seem to be giving lower offers than stated on their site (I believe), which is good for us! :smile:

Yup - Durham was actually my first choice, not Cambridge. Not sure if it's the UMS or APS that let me down with either.
As above - it makes no sense to have a Firm and Insurance that are effectively identical offers.

Do not assume any leniency on Results Day for RG Unis for Law. They wont be charitable to near-misses as they dont need to be. They will have people queuing up via Adjustment/Clearing with the grades they want (and often higher) - so they wont need to be accept 'I didnt get the grades' to fill the course.
Original post by returnmigrant
As above - it makes no sense to have a Firm and Insurance that are effectively identical offers.

Do not assume any leniency on Results Day for RG Unis for Law. They wont be charitable to near-misses as they dont need to be. They will have people queuing up via Adjustment/Clearing with the grades they want (and often higher) - so they wont need to be accept 'I didnt get the grades' to fill the course.

Glassgow say that they do consider applicants who miss their offer. Op only has Kings as the other choice and they definitely wouldn't. Durham have actually accepted people who marginally miss as long as they have firmed them.
anyone else still waiting to hear from Bristol?
Original post by justmemphis

Thanks for any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I achieved similar GCSE results to you and will probably apply to Cambridge.
I was also worried whether my GCSEs were good enough. Check out the thread I made,the replies could help you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3956325
Original post by Sajabajax
I applied to Cambridge law this year and ended up being pooled and rejected, had 5A*4A at GCSE and AAAA at AS with predictions of A*A*A at A2.

The biggest tip I could give someone which I wish I would have known before was to read like crazy. Going into the interview without having an extensive academic reading history was a major disadvantage. I found that the interviewers expect not only that you are an academic person in terms of grades, but also that you are academic in terms of a huge amount of extra reading. For example I was asked to discuss my favourite novel, something I really struggled to answer. So if I was you I would start reading the 'classic' type of book, build up a lot of general knowledge about literature, politics and philosohy, write a highly academic personal statement and you should do a lot better!
Hope this kinda helps

Hey!
Can I ask what other sort of question they asked? Did any require legal knowledge
Original post by stratagems
I wouldn't suggest that you put as your insurance any university with the same offer as your firm choice. You risk missing both offers if you miss your firm! They *may* have some leeway if you miss or they may not. It's not guaranteed, so work on a worst case scenario basis. If they're all the same, then I guess you have your answer.

The other things worth are the modules for King's course (I haven't checked it out, but whether it's a qualifying degree etc, though I imagine they want A*AA anyway...) and that Glasgow presumably won't be teaching English law.

PPL is a qualifying Law degree.
Glasgow doesn't teach English Law, but since I probably won't practice it anyway it is not my biggest concern...

Latest

Trending

Trending