The Student Room Group

Really need advice! Dropping subject but only do 3 A-levels!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nadine_08
I've contacted one university already and will try to take the rest of your advice on board. Thank you :smile:

You're welcome. Don't make any rash decisions without considering all sides.
Reply 21
Economics and Psychology- they're going well. It's just English I'm struggling with.

Good subjects. What exactly do you struggle with in english?
Reply 22
Original post by Thomb
As long as you have a science you should be alright doing psychology. Though eng litt is a good subject to do. Do all 4 and enter as a native speaker you should still get a good mark..

I've looked at the entry requirements for the universities I'm interested in and they don't need a science, so I think my subjects are alright
Reply 23
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Because a native language A level is often regarded as very much less of an academic challenge than other subjects. If you spoke French at home, you wouldn't be at much of a stretch to hold a conversation about buying a cup of coffee in a cafe if you were doing French GCSE. There are A levels which are designed for native speakers, in the same way that English lit is designed for native speakers, and these will expect a much, much higher level of competence in the language for obvious reasons, and these would carry just as much weight as any other A level, but it doesn't sound as if this is what OP has in mind.

So native arabic would be just as hard as english literature?
I've looked at the entry requirements for the universities I'm interested in and they don't need a science, so I think my subjects are alright

Check you are looking at BA courses and not BSc. The former won't require sciences but the latter usually will.
Original post by Thomb
So native arabic would be just as hard as english literature?

Yes, and would carry the same kind of weight.
Reply 26

What about dropping eng literature would they be alright about that?
Reply 27
Because a native language A level is often regarded as very much less of an academic challenge than other subjects. If you spoke French at home, you wouldn't be at much of a stretch to hold a conversation about buying a cup of coffee in a cafe if you were doing French GCSE. There are A levels which are designed for native speakers, in the same way that English lit is designed for native speakers, and these will expect a much, much higher level of competence in the language for obvious reasons, and these would carry just as much weight as any other A level, but it doesn't sound as if this is what OP has in mind.

Top unis don't count a 2nd-language A-Level in the native language, but many second tier unis will accept it.

EG
UCL won't:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/undergraduates/UBSPSYALAN05/FAQs/#native

but Durham will:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/faqs/?faqno=2459
and Sheffield:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/management/study/faqs#9NativeLanguages
etc.

(OP is right too - MSA is not a native language in the sense that it is not spoken at home, though many admissions tutors may not know this.)

OP, if you are fine with limiting your uni choice a little bit, I would drop English Literature if you can't get a good grade in it and do Arabic instead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi OP.

I'm in year 13 and this happened to me in January extremely bad timing. I was doing 3 alevels and had uni offers from amazing unis but I dropped one because it was disastrous I'm doing 2 now and hoping to pick an intensive alevel in my gap year and apply to university with 3. Do what makes you feel comfortable and less stressed!
Original post by llys
Top unis don't count a 2nd-language A-Level in the native language, but many second tier unis will accept it.

EG
UCL won't:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/undergraduates/UBSPSYALAN05/FAQs/#native

but Durham will:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/faqs/?faqno=2459
and Sheffield:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/management/study/faqs#9NativeLanguages
etc.

(OP is right too - MSA is not a native language in the sense that it is not spoken at home, though many admissions tutors may not know this.)

OP, if you are fine with limiting your uni choice a little bit, I would drop English Literature if you can't get a good grade in it and do Arabic instead.

Yes, as I said, she needs to discuss this with universities before making any decisions.
Reply 30
Check you are looking at BA courses and not BSc. The former won't require sciences but the latter usually will.

What's the difference between a BA and BSc? Sorry, I have no knowledge on this.

I just checked and the course at the university I want to go to is a BSc and doesn't require sciences.
Reply 31

I just checked and the course at the university I want to go to is a BSc and doesn't require sciences.

Bsc is a bachelors of Science, what universities are you thinking of applying to?

BA is 'arts' based and BSc is science based. They look at different aspects of psychology. For people hoping to do something with their psychology degree afterwards, BSc is the way to go, plus checking that the course is accredited with the BPS. I'm surprised the BSc you looked at didn't ask for a science. However, check out the content and description of the modules and if you aren't confident you can handle that level of science, BA is the way to go. (This isn't my field, so have a look at the psychology forum.)
Reply 33
Original post by Thomb
Bsc is a bachelors of Science, what universities are you thinking of applying to?

Southampton is the main one I'm hoping to get into

If you are doing psychology A level, that counts as a science for Southampton.
Reply 35
Southampton is the main one I'm hoping to get into

For Southampton you need AAB at a level is that realistic for you unless you do arabic?
Original post by Thomb
For Southampton you need AAB at a level is that realistic for you unless you do arabic?

Assuming OP does psychology or maths. AAA otherwise.
Reply 37
Original post by Thomb

Yes, only if I drop English and do Arabic instead
Reply 38
Assuming OP does psychology or maths. AAA otherwise.

OP does psychology and economics and is doing really well at them. Southampton also accept economics asa relevant subject and might even be offered a place with ABB.
Reply 39
If you are doing psychology A level, that counts as a science for Southampton.

Ah okay, that's fine then

Quick Reply

Latest