The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Leeds?

I am currently deciding which university i should firm? deciding between Nottingham or Leeds, Nottingham has given me low requirements but Leeds looks like a nicer city and has a bigger night life. I also think nottingham is cheaper to live in.

the choice is tough! hope someone can help me choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fei345
I am currently deciding which university i should firm? deciding between Nottingham or Leeds, Nottingham has given me low requirements but Leeds looks like a nicer city and has a bigger night life. I also think nottingham is cheaper to live in.

the choice is tough! hope someone can help me choose?

Heya, what course is this for? :h:

You may find the university subfora useful for asking specific questions about both Nottingham and Leeds.

Good luck!
Yeah its for Architectural Engineering at leeds and Mechanical at Notts! I have Looked at both Leeds and Nottingham's Sub forums and they are both dead, But im sorta leaning towards notts, as low requirements and cheaper.
Reply 3
Go for Notts
Reply 4
I've lived in notts 4 years now, if you have anything you wanna ask about the place
Okey dokey, I've moved this into a more appropriate forum for you :h:

Sorry to hear about the the two sub forums - maybe you can visit the unis instead if it's feasible?
Cheer sean
Original post by SeanFM
Okey dokey, I've moved this into a more appropriate forum for you :h:

Sorry to hear about the the two sub forums - maybe you can visit the unis instead if it's feasible?

cheers sean, yeah i've been to Leeds for an Engineering Open day, and it was very good. i've enjoyed it a lot. however i haven't been to notts, but i have heard very good thing about the uni there. I just cant compare currently, however i might just go to nottingham as it is cheaper and its just about far enough away from home.
Original post by Jenx301
I've lived in notts 4 years now, if you have anything you wanna ask about the place

tbh, in my opinion i dont really rate the cities i apply for really. as they all have all the same high streets and stuff. just a bit similar but just some are bigger than others. but im sure there are some unique places you can find in nottingham?
Reply 9
Original post by fei345
tbh, in my opinion i dont really rate the cities i apply for really. as they all have all the same high streets and stuff. just a bit similar but just some are bigger than others. but im sure there are some unique places you can find in nottingham?

Hey

Well notts has all the high street shops n that same as other cities like you say. What kind of stuff are you into? What do you like doing, visiting, seeing?
Original post by Jenx301
Hey

Well notts has all the high street shops n that same as other cities like you say. What kind of stuff are you into? What do you like doing, visiting, seeing?

tbh i am a boring person, but isnt sherwood forest close by? good get some good nature photography done there?
Original post by fei345
tbh i am a boring person, but isnt sherwood forest close by? good get some good nature photography done there?

I wouldn't say it's close. Takes over an hour on the bus I think. If you are living in the city centre it's easier to get to the arboretum, Nottingham castle or Wollaton Hall. I have a friend who does photography and she mostly goes to Wollaton Hall.
Original post by Jenx301
I wouldn't say it's close. Takes over an hour on the bus I think. If you are living in the city centre it's easier to get to the arboretum, Nottingham castle or Wollaton Hall. I have a friend who does photography and she mostly goes to Wollaton Hall.

Ahh thats cool, well i think nottingham does look alright. might end up going there as it is the furthest away from home ahah.. thanks for the information about nottingham !
Original post by fei345
Ahh thats cool, well i think nottingham does look alright. might end up going there as it is the furthest away from home ahah.. thanks for the information about nottingham !

You're welcome - good luck!
Original post by fei345
Yeah its for Architectural Engineering at leeds and Mechanical at Notts! I have Looked at both Leeds and Nottingham's Sub forums and they are both dead, But im sorta leaning towards notts, as low requirements and cheaper.

Surely this isnt a question of where to study but what to study?

Do you want to do architectural engineering (come under and covers similarish stuff to civil engineering from what I understand) or do mechanical engineering? AND they will lead to different job sectors in engineering most likely so different roles.

It would be stupid to choose a place when you havent even decided what course to do

Also im not so sure notts is 'cheaper', as its pretty cheap in leeds, I live of £15 for food and £75 a week for rent (not including bills) and my friends spend similar or more than that at other unis including ones in nottingham

Also you should try visit notts before firming it, 'hearing good things' from other people is pointless, as university and environment at imo a very individual thing, so what others love you might hate and vice versa
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by fei345

Original post by madmadmax321

^this.

The course is fundamentally more important than the uni.

And yes if you are planning on spending 3 or 4 years of your life somewhere new you should at least visit it first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you want to do architectural engineering (come under and covers similarish stuff to civil engineering from what I understand) or do mechanical engineering? AND they will lead to different job sectors in engineering most likely so different roles.

It would be stupid to choose a place when you havent even decided what course to do

Also im not so sure notts is 'cheaper', as its pretty cheap in leeds, I live of £15 for food and £75 a week for rent (not including bills) and my friends spend similar or more than that at other unis including ones in nottingham

Also you should try visit notts before firming it, 'hearing good things' from other people is pointless, as university and environment at imo a very individual thing, so what others love you might hate and vice versa

Original post by jneill
^this.

The course is fundamentally more important than the uni.

And yes if you are planning on spending 3 or 4 years of your life somewhere new you should at least visit it first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers guys, im gonna have to pop down to nottingham soon and make a final decision.
Original post by fei345
cheers guys, im gonna have to pop down to nottingham soon and make a final decision.

You need to read into each career path more than go visit nottingham tbh, with engineering it is designed to lead you into specific roles rather than be a 'general' degree ie you do engineering to become an engineer

So you need to read online what both architectural engineers and mech engineers do and see which career area you'd prefer tbh
You need to read into each career path more than go visit nottingham tbh, with engineering it is designed to lead you into specific roles rather than be a 'general' degree ie you do engineering to become an engineer

So you need to read online what both architectural engineers and mech engineers do and see which career area you'd prefer tbh

alright, thanks for the advice! I was just thinking to just go to a a place where i liked and then i could change courses if i want. but currently i am leaning toward studying mechanical engineering as i am interested in the mechanics of different objects.
Original post by fei345
alright, thanks for the advice! I was just thinking to just go to a a place where i liked and then i could change courses if i want. but currently i am leaning toward studying mechanical engineering as i am interested in the mechanics of different objects.

There isnt a guarantee to change so dont rely on it at leeds (see below)

I go to leeds (not for engineering) but know 3 people who do mech and about 10 that do chemical engineering, I know 2 people tried to change from chem to mech and another person who tried to go from physics to chemical engineering and they all received flat out no's. This is because the engineering degrees (especially mechanical and chemical) are very popular at leeds and some of their most oversubscribed course (I havent heard of anyone that got less than A*AA at A-level that got into mechanical or chemical engineering)

Quick Reply

Latest