The Student Room Group

University of Leeds or University of Nottingham? (help appreciated)

I have been rejected from top choice, Bristol, as well as my second choice, Manchester, for Politics and IR, which is a shame. I really liked them both, with a mix of academic/nightlife, saw them both on open days and know many people going to both.

Now if I am being honest, I did not really put much thought into my other applications so I do not really know anything about Leeds or Nottingham. I am sure they are great places respectively but it is hard to feel enthusiastic about a place I have never even been to, and do not know anybody going to.

So I am making this post hoping to gain advice from people who have visited them or study there, help would be appreciated. I am from London so I wanted to go to a city, I am aware they are both campus unis. These are my questions

1. Nottingham accommodation is first come first serve, with the deadline being 8th June. Will it have run out by now?
2. What is the nightlife like in both these cities
3. Does Nottingham feel like a small place community or a big place?
4. Nottingham seems to rank much lower than Leeds in many university rankings, should this influence my decision or is it not applicable to Politics and IR?
5. Ultimately what are the people like in both unis

Like I said if anyone could take the time to reply I would really appreciate it, especially given I have to make a choice soon.
Reply 1
You are safe, both are great cities and great unis. Nottingham is definitely a campus uni - a 10-15 minute bus ride into town. Leeds campus is on the edge of town - a 10-15 minute walk into town. Leeds is the better city for nightlife - so many unis there (Leeds uni, Leeds Beckett, Leeds Trinity, Leeds Arts uni). Choose either one and you will have a great time.

Look more closely at the course content at both unis - which one interests you more?
Reply 2
Original post by RealisticWater71

I do not really know anything about Leeds or Nottingham. I am sure they are great places respectively but it is hard to feel enthusiastic about a place I have never even been to

Look on YouTube for Campus/Open Day films and the tourist films for each place.

Student guides ....
Leeds - https://www.savethestudent.org/city/leeds-student-city-guide.html
Nottingham - https://www.itsinnottingham.com/ideas-inspiration/students/
Reply 3
I can't help much but I would definitely take into account that Nottingham is a campus uni while Leeds is a city uni. I went to look round Nottingham and it felt very insular and separate from the city. this might be a good thing or a bad thing for you, but it seems a very different vibe to your other choices of Bristol and Manchester. see if you can find any yt vids by Nottingham students talking about life on a campus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending