The Student Room Group

How to stop Indoctrination of Children?

They grow up believing their religion is the correct one simply because they were born into it. A Muslim will claim his religion is the correct one, yet if he was born to Christian parent's he'd believe Christianity is the correct one.
(Converts are a significant minority)

Classic indoctrination...and it needs to STOP.

#WereAllAtheistsWhenWereBorn
#IndoctrinationOfChildren
#StopThisAbuse
Reply 1
OP
Too scared to answer
Not much can be done, other than ensuring all schools (particularly faith school) teaching about other religions and teach proper science and PSHCE lessons. I think faith schools should be allowed to exist and don't regard them as harmful, but they do need to be monitored properly :yes:
It's not something we can do anything about.

Parents can raise their children how they wish, with certain exceptions (teaching them about a religion is not child abuse, legally anyway).

The only option is to take all children from their parents at a young age, raise them, then deliver them back to their parents when they are fully grown atheists.
atheism is indoctrination too
Atheist Cool Kid Club at it again.

All hail lord fedora!
Original post by the bear

As much as I dont like militant atheists, atheism can't be indoctranated into.
Trying to forcefully stop indoctrination is unlikely to work. It will happen naturally as society becomes more and more secular and religion's importance declines.
Original post by the bear

everyone is born atheist, no one is born knowing jesus christ and muhamed
The same goes with any belief or lack of, I definitely don't believe parents should ever force their children to follow any specific belief, kids need to be introduced to all beliefs before making their decision on where they stand
Original post by HucktheForde
everyone is born atheist, no one is born knowing jesus christ and muhamed

No one is born atheist,nor is anyone born religious.
Reply 11
Original post by Longshot700
As much as I dont like militant atheists, atheism can't be indoctranated into.

Yes it can, there's a whole generation in Russia and China who grew up under militant atheism and were taught from day one that religions should be hated. That's indocrination. Indocrination is just another word for parenting.
Anyone who thinks our beliefs should be based on the beliefs we were born with has clearly never met a baby.

Violence, stealing and manipulation are all valid tactics in the never-ending quest for food.

nom nom nom nom nom nom

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 178
They grow up believing their religion is the correct one simply because they were born into it. A Muslim will claim his religion is the correct one, yet if he was born to Christian parent's he'd believe Christianity is the correct one.
(Converts are a significant minority)

Classic indoctrination...and it needs to STOP.

#WereAllAtheistsWhenWereBorn
#IndoctrinationOfChildren
#StopThisAbuse
Everything is fantasy, ultimately having been made up by someone to fit the evidence before them. And now, more than ever, the evidence is likewise fantasy, such that everything we think we know is just a web of fantasies.

Nothing we "know" can be proven, except the most basic things like fire makes things hot, light makes us see, water makes us wet &c. You can't claim to have seen a Higgs Boson any more than I can claim to have seen God. And neither can anyone else.

Science splits just like religion does. Christians/Muslims, as you say, will each claim themselves to be correct and the others incorrect. But some scientific schools of thought do the same - and some do it so radically and fundamentally that they are to "accepted science" what heretics were to religion five hundred years ago.

So we all believe what we want to believe. If you don't like that some people bring their children up to believe the same as them, that's tough. At the end of the day, everything is a fantasy, and saying I can't bring my child up as a Christian makes the same sense as me saying you can't bring yours up knowing all the most recent versions of M- and twistor theories, quantum electrodynamics, and all that.
So your saying children are told this is the truth by their parents and as children, they believe it and are forced by it and grow up indoctrinated with that religion. Thats not right, we should explore and ponder over our religion and maybe religious people have pondered and come to a conclusion there is a God. Offcourse yeah some people just believe their belief without pondering, but we should explore. And possibly there is God, that is why they believe what they believe, its just that there many messages from God because of different religions.

Quick Reply

Latest