The Student Room Group

Free speech is truly dying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748

Free speech has to protect stupidity and the right to be wrong.
Wha he has done is stupid it doesn't incite racial hatred and arresting him for it will not solve any problem, if you think the way to solve a problem is by attacking people's thoughts the people will react.

It seems the 46% are getting their way.

Scroll to see replies

He confronted an individual who had nothing to do with the attacks becasue of his ignorance towards her religion aka stereotyping and racism
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
He confronted an individual who had nothing to do with the attacks becasue of his ignorance towards her religion aka stereotyping and racism

So you think that the best way to deal with this is jail?
Original post by joecphillips
So you think that the best way to deal with this is jail?

No of course not, I agree that is way too harsh, but you can't say it's his right to free speech, he should just have had his message taken down and been given a warning at most
Reply 4
No of course not, I agree that is way too harsh, but you can't say it's his right to free speech, he should just have had his message taken down and been given a warning at most

I don't think that the message should of been taken down or even a warning I think the best way to solve this would be to leave it up as that means people can demonstrate that he is wrong but taking it down changes that and impedes free speech.

There is no right to not be offended.
I don't think that the message should of been taken down or even a warning I think the best way to solve this would be to leave it up as that means people can demonstrate that he is wrong but taking it down changes that and impedes free speech.

But where does free speech end? You can have opinions and you can share them but if you incite hatred, especially on such a controversial issue at such a pinnacle time, the operators of these websites, open to the public, have to take the action they deem necessary. At the end of the day, racism is wrong, it's not an opinion that should be debated, you can say that's my opinion but it's something that the vast majority of people in their right minds strive to extinguish
(edited 8 years ago)

There's also no right that says you have to be a dick to strangers

There's a time and a place
This is the 3rd thread about this, I made one then someone told me they had made on, now I'm telling you that I made one lol.

Also free speech isn't dying, you either have it or you don't. It's an all or nothing sort of thing, free speech is dead not dying.
Free speech in this country always had limits when it affected the rights of others. Intimidating someone on the basis of his/her religious beliefs would be one of those limits. We don't even know if this woman was really a Muslim or one of the "Muslim looking lot". Either way it's no different but maybe the police had more information.
(edited 8 years ago)
But where does free speech end? You can have opinions and you can share them but if you incite hatred, especially on such a controversial issue at such a pinnacle time, the operators of these websites, open to the public, have to take the action they deem necessary. At the end of the day, racism is wrong, it's not an opinion that should be entrusted, you can say that's my opinion but it's something that the vast majority of people in their right minds strive to extinguish

Thing is though I wouldn't class it as 'inciting hatred' it should be considered as simple harassment (and we have laws already for this)
Reply 10
Original post by HanSoloLuck
This is the 3rd thread about this, I made one then someone told me they had made on, now I'm telling you that I made one lol.

Also free speech isn't dying, you either have it or you don't. It's an all or nothing sort of thing, free speech is dead not dying.

Ok I never saw them.
If you want to say it is dying I'm not against that position but my belief is that it is on a life support machine and someone is about to pull the plug and I want to save it
Original post by BaconandSauce
Thing is though I wouldn't class it as 'inciting hatred' it should be considered as simple harassment (and we have laws already for this)

Well fair enough in regards to the Internet comment, but I still don't think it's a construct use of time to encourage this behaviour on a public forum where many people will be jumping to conclusions from anything they read out of fear
Reply 12
There's also no right that says you have to be a dick to strangers

There's a time and a place

There is nothing that says you can't be a dick to strangers
I am a rather vociferous defender of freedom of speech, but I wouldn't condone this. A debate forum, a newspaper, a university debate, a blog etc... these are all places for one to use their freedom of speech. But freedom of speech doesn't give one the right to walk up to random people on the street and harass them.
What this guy did, if indeed he did so, is just idiotic.
I would expect more sense from a 46 year old.
There is nothing that says you can't be a dick to strangers

It's simple common decency.
Reply 16
It's simple common decency.

It is but that does not mean you can't be a dick to someone
Reply 17
Original post by The Epicurean
I am a rather vociferous defender of freedom of speech, but I wouldn't condone this. A debate forum, a newspaper, a university debate, a blog etc... these are all places for one to use their freedom of speech. But freedom of speech doesn't give one the right to walk up to random people on the street and harass them.

I would and do what do you consider harassment?
If a feminist approaches me to talk about patriarchy is that harassment?
If someone wanted to talk to me about ukip?
If a sjw talked to me about privilege?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748

Free speech has to protect stupidity and the right to be wrong.
Wha he has done is stupid it doesn't incite racial hatred and arresting him for it will not solve any problem, if you think the way to solve a problem is by attacking people's thoughts the people will react.

It seems the 46% are getting their way.

Why should he ask her that?

Ask a white briton to explain Iraq

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad that TSRians aren't normal people because the average person would believe this bloke was an idiot but shouldn't have been arrested yet loads of you who can't wrap your head around the fact that not everything that is bad needs punishing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending