The Student Room Group

What subjects are all you picking for A-level and why? :)

I am doing my GCSE exams in less than 2 months (Good luck to anyone who is doing their as well) and I am planning to pick Further maths (I love maths), Physics (<3) and maybe Chemistry as my fifth because in my school Further maths count as 3 A levels (Further maths, Normal maths and Statistics). I was wondering what you guys are planning and why? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
( Currently in yr12 btw)

I do Physics, Geography and Government and Politics

Physics because it's a beautiful subject to learn, the way it applies to almost everything we see (and don't see for that matter :teehee: ). On a quantum and large scale. How the smallest things are fundamental in creating the bigger things. How it can be calculated and how these discoveries were made. Questioning what only seem like theories. anything seems possible with physics. :moon:

Geography as it's a well rounded subject. Going through both sides of life on Earth. Human and Physical. I just really like it. The ways in which different societies differ from places to places and looking at the wonderful and mind blowing features that form on Earth. From what we can or cannot see, whether it's prominent on the crust or moving beneath our feet where we stand.

GovPol was chosen as I wanted to know more about our political system, why our democratic system is unique to that of others internationally and how it works with the EU. Who is responsible for the happenings that goes on in Westminster. I guess the secerecy with it always seemed to have intrigued me too.

Good Luck with your A Levels! :colondollar:
Original post by uniklimbu10
I am doing my GCSE exams in less than 2 months (Good luck to anyone who is doing their as well) and I am planning to pick Further maths (I love maths), Physics (<3) and maybe Chemistry as my fifth because in my school Further maths count as 3 A levels (Further maths, Normal maths and Statistics). I was wondering what you guys are planning and why? :biggrin:

Wow! Good luck :smile: I'm going to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History - partly because I enjoy them all, and because they fit together well for the course I want to do...
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

I'm insane.
I'm doing English literature because I love it.

French (which some people think I'm crazy for) but I love the language, the city and I find it so cool to speak in a different language.

Biology because I do really enjoy it, it contrasts the english/french so it will show I am a diverse student & it is a subject for the career pathway I'm planning to take.

For the fourth I'm thinking maths because I enjoy it & it will also help me for the career pathway I want to take, but possibly either psychology instead or politics.
Math - Like solving equations, wanting to become a maths teacher.

Physics - Interesting as its about life around you.

Sociology - Will help when in teaching.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by metellaest
Wow! Good luck :smile: I'm going to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History - partly because I enjoy them all, and because they fit together well for the course I want to do...

Reply 7
Thats really cool xD
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

I'm insane.
Reply 8
Thank youuu :smile:)))
Original post by caitlinford3

French (which some people think I'm crazy for) but I love the language, the city and I find it so cool to speak in a different language.

Biology because I do really enjoy it, it contrasts the english/french so it will show I am a diverse student & it is a subject for the career pathway I'm planning to take.

For the fourth I'm thinking maths because I enjoy it & it will also help me for the career pathway I want to take, but possibly either psychology instead or politics.

Original post by aamirac
( Currently in yr12 btw)

Physics because it's a beautiful subject to learn, the way it applies to almost everything we see (and don't see for that matter :teehee: ). On a quantum and large scale. How the smallest things are fundamental in creating the bigger things. How it can be calculated and how these discoveries were made. Questioning what only seem like theories. anything seems possible with physics. :moon:

Geography as it's a well rounded subject. Going through both sides of life on Earth. Human and Physical. I just really like it. The ways in which different societies differ from places to places and looking at the wonderful and mind blowing features that form on Earth. From what we can or cannot see, whether it's prominent on the crust or moving beneath our feet where we stand.

GovPol was chosen as I wanted to know more about our political system, why our democratic system is unique to that of others internationally and how it works with the EU. Who is responsible for the happenings that goes on in Westminster. I guess the secerecy with it always seemed to have intrigued me too.

Reply 9
ikr physics is lyf xD
Original post by aamirac
( Currently in yr12 btw)

:frown:
Original post by uniklimbu10
ikr physics is lyf xD

It is, at A Level it's even more awesome. :awesome:
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics.

I am expecting that I'll study for a maths intensive degree and these seemed like the most sensible options considering my interests and career ambitions. In choosing sciences and maths, I get to (more or less) stay away from coursework and essay writing which is a relief.

Maths is awesome. I love patterns and maths is essentially playing with abstract patterns and relationships. Recently, I've become interested in coding and so the stats knowledge from that is something I want to try out and perhaps take further - chess and poker analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence, biostatics, finance... lots of cool applications.

Chemistry and Physics are awesome because in studying them you develop a hard understanding and therefore utility of the world around you. Of the sciences, they seem vastly the most interesting. I'm not looking forward to physics because the lecturer doesn't have a great reputation but chemistry seems super fun!
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

Because other subjects bore the hell out of me...
Original post by celloel
:frown:

Why the sad face?
Why the sad face?

You just reminded me of how much I enjoyed English Literature last year haha
Original post by celloel
You just reminded me of how much I enjoyed English Literature last year haha

I'm sure I'll enjoy it next year
Sociology, psychology, Maths and music technology. I want to become a police women when i am older.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

Because other subjects bore the hell out of me...

Nice subjects, so
unique and varied :wink:
Reply 19
Government and Politics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
Economics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
History: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
Maths: Wanna do PPE at Oxford

Lol not *really*, I have a huge interest in politics, econ and political history, so the first three are all perf. Maths is complementary to econ, and needed for most politics & econ courses. PPE is my ideal though <3

Quick Reply

Latest