The Student Room Group

How to afford accommodation?

I have just completed my application for Student Finance England, and it said it would give me a maintenance loan of £3800 maximum.
How can people live off that a year?
I am looking at the University owned accommodation in the area. The cheapest is bunk-beds, which cost £3300 a year, but ideally I would like my own room, which is twice the cost in most places. I feel sad that my ideal place is £7200 a year, almost double my loan.
They've stopped grants this year, and even with a part time job I won't be able to afford it. How are they even allowed to offer something that expensive as accommodation? All around £150 a week, about the same as a 3 bedroom house. I don't get it.
Pretty sure the max loan is £8200 a year
Original post by omfgalib
I have just completed my application for Student Finance England, and it said it would give me a maintenance loan of £3800 maximum.
How can people live off that a year?
I am looking at the University owned accommodation in the area. The cheapest is bunk-beds, which cost £3300 a year, but ideally I would like my own room, which is twice the cost in most places. I feel sad that my ideal place is £7200 a year, almost double my loan.
They've stopped grants this year, and even with a part time job I won't be able to afford it. How are they even allowed to offer something that expensive as accommodation? All around £150 a week, about the same as a 3 bedroom house. I don't get it.

Is your household income above 60k if so you are only eligible for the minimum loan and you need to have a conversation with your parents about whether they'll help you or not.
Original post by claireestelle
Is your household income above 60k if so you are only eligible for the minimum loan and you need to have a conversation with your parents about whether they'll help you or not.

wtf I didnt know that..so if my household income is above 60k then I cant get a loan more than 3800??
Original post by Daniel9998
wtf I didnt know that..so if my household income is above 60k then I cant get a loan more than 3800??

Nope
Reply 5

Nope, household income is about 6k a year from my mum, and about 8k from her partner, and I earn about 1k a year, only part time. My mum and her partner are yet to complete a household assessment, so is it just the computer assumes they earn more, and makes the number lower? There wasn't a question about household income yet.
Nope, household income is about 6k a year from my mum, and about 8k from her partner, and I earn about 1k a year, only part time. My mum and her partner are yet to complete a household assessment, so is it just the computer assumes they earn more, and makes the number lower? There wasn't a question about household income yet.

Oh, then you'll get the maximum loan, yes its assumed that until you send the evidence in.
Reply 7
Oh, then you'll get the maximum loan, yes its assumed that until you send the evidence in.

Okay, thanks for the reassurance. It's all completed, but it said it'll take 6 weeks to process. Does anyone know the maximum loan this year? Or where to find these stats? Want to try and work out my options here, as parents can't afford to bail me out.
Okay, thanks for the reassurance. It's all completed, but it said it'll take 6 weeks to process. Does anyone know the maximum loan this year? Or where to find these stats? Want to try and work out my options here, as parents can't afford to bail me out.

Non london is £8200 assuming you're an english student.
Reply 9
Non london is £8200 assuming you're an english student.

Wow, that's a lot! Thought it'd be around the 5k mark!
Wow, that's a lot! Thought it'd be around the 5k mark!

It's been increased slightly this year, accommodation in some places is as bad as 5k :P
Reply 11
It's been increased slightly this year, accommodation in some places is as bad as 5k :P

It sounds worse down here, but in Cornwall everything is expensive.

or 6.2k in my case :smile:
or 6.2k in my case :smile:

that's an ensuite right or are you in london?
that's an ensuite right or are you in london?

Yeh en-suite outside of London which im now regretting
Yeh en-suite outside of London which im now regretting

If its uni owned accomodation getting a swap to a cheaper one wouldnt be too difficult, sharing a bathroom is well worth the savings and in some cases you would get a bigger room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending