The Student Room Group

C4 Integration

Hi. Just doing Maths and come across this question with this mark scheme (OCR MEI C4 Jan 06)
I am wondering how comes it is 1/2lny-1/2ln(2-y) instead of 1/2lny+1/2ln(2-y)?
Reply 1
Original post by prepdream
Hi. Just doing Maths and come across this question with this mark scheme (OCR MEI C4 Jan 06)
I am wondering how comes it is 1/2lny-1/2ln(2-y) instead of 1/2lny+1/2ln(2-y)?

Integrate 1/[2(2-y)]. There's a minus in there. :smile:

Differentiating 1/2 * ln (2 - y) creates a minus sign at the front.
Reply 2
Original post by ombtom
Integrate 1/[2(2-y)]. There's a minus in there. :smile:

Differentiating 1/2 * ln (2 - y) creates a minus sign at the front.

Sorry, still don't get it :frown: By integrating 1/[2(2-y)], shouldn't it be 1/2*integration of 1/(2-y), which means 1/2ln(2-y) without a minus? :/
Thanks for the reply btw :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sorry, still don't get it :frown: By integrating 1/[2(2-y)], shouldn't it be 1/2*integration of 1/(2-y), which means 1/2ln(2-y) without a minus? :/

You're right that it's the same as 1/2 * integral of 1/(2-y).

Integrating 1/(2-y) gives -ln(2-y).

Differentiating ln(2-y) gives -1/(2-y), hence the need for a minus sign.

Hope this helps. :smile:

The integral of 12y=1y2\displaystyle \frac{1}{2-y} = -\frac{1}{y-2} is lny2\displaystyle -\ln|y-2|.
Reply 5

We know that f(x)f(x)dx=lnf(x)+c\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x = \ln f(x) + c, yeah? That is, if the numerator is the derivative of the denominator, then integrating it produces the logarithm of the denominator.

In this case, we have: 1212ydy\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y - the numerator is almost the derivative of the denominator - the dervative of the denominator is ddy(2y)=1.\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}y}(2-y) = -1.

How do we fix this? Well, 1212ydy=1212ydy=12ln2y+c\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{-1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \ln |2-y| + c

since we now have the numerator as the derivative of the numerator.

Try this out on: x2x2dx\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{2-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x - the numerator is almost the derivative of the numerator.

If you can't spot what to do:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
x

This doesn't look much like Physics.
Reply 7
Original post by tinkerbella~
This doesn't look much like Physics.

Physics is maths basically
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
We know that f(x)f(x)dx=lnf(x)+c\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x = \ln f(x) + c, yeah? That is, if the numerator is the derivative of the denominator, then integrating it produces the logarithm of the denominator.

In this case, we have: 1212ydy\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y - the numerator is almost the derivative of the denominator - the dervative of the denominator is ddy(2y)=1.\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}y}(2-y) = -1.

How do we fix this? Well, 1212ydy=1212ydy=12ln2y+c\displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{-1}{2-y} \, \mathrm{d}y = -\frac{1}{2} \ln |2-y| + c

since we now have the numerator as the derivative of the numerator.

Try this out on: x2x2dx\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{2-x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x - the numerator is almost the derivative of the numerator.

If you can't spot what to do:

Spoiler

Ahah alright that makes so much sense. I completely forgot about the f'(x)/f(x) thing. Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ahah alright that makes so much sense. I completely forgot about the f'(x)/f(x) thing. Thank you! :biggrin:

No problem! Do you want to test your understanding on the problem I gave at the end? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
No problem! Do you want to test your understanding on the problem I gave at the end? :smile:

Yeah is that -1/2ln(2-x^2) if I am not wrong? :/
Reply 11

Yes! :biggrin:
Reply 12

Well technically it should be
12ln2x2+c \displaystyle -\frac{1}{2} \ln |2-x^2| +c .

Quick Reply

Latest