The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Got offers from Birmingham, Warwick, Manchester and Nottingham... Only applied to four as I could find another one I liked

Ooo, where you insuring?
(I'm year 12) I'm hoping to apply for law next year at universities like Kings, UCL, etc wondering if anyone can tell me what the LNAT test is like? What are the multiple choice questions like etc? Good luck on all of your offers :smile:
Woah this thread is a lot more active than the other one, so I may as well post here! I've firmed the University of York (AAA) and insured Leicester (unconditional). I also had offers from Warwick (AAA), Birmingham (unconditional if firm) and Newcastle (AAA). :smile:
Original post by helena1999
(I'm year 12) I'm hoping to apply for law next year at universities like Kings, UCL, etc wondering if anyone can tell me what the LNAT test is like? What are the multiple choice questions like etc? Good luck on all of your offers :smile:

Looking at a practice paper (the more the better!) is ideal prep, but I'll describe my experience with it. The multiple choice questions were pretty much as expected - they were generally asking what the author is or specifically-isn't saying, though there were the odd exceptions. A set of questions on the use of an Oxford comma was completely unexpected; while there was an extract identifying when it should be used, it was different to the questions that I'd seen in the past. Timing thankfully wasn't an issue, and I was lucky enough to have time to check each of my answers, and I definitely recommend using the flag system (you can flag questions you want to return to and quickly find them again), and I ultimately got 27, slightly above average and enough to get an unconditional-if-firm for Birmingham (though I'm going elsewhere). Thankfully the essay question (I chose one that was basically about affirmative action) was relatively nice.

I didn't prep for the LNAT much, but that strategy isn't recommended! I do recommend booking your test early but not sitting it before October/November, unless you apply to Oxford. I originally scheduled by test for October, but I'd underestimated the amount of time that personal statement editing etc. would take. I found that it was best to sit it after the October half term, (theoretically) allowing for lots of prep time.

Also, it's not a good idea to apply to more than 3-ish universities that require the LNAT - as results don't come out until February, regardless of when you sit the test, you can't tell how well you've done when you apply to universities. Even if your practice scores are amazing, relying too much on the LNAT can be really risky, so I suggest finding a range of LNAT and non-LNAT universities that appeal to you.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Looking at a practice paper (the more the better!) is ideal prep, but I'll describe my experience with it. The multiple choice questions were pretty much as expected - they were generally asking what the author is or specifically-isn't saying, though there were the odd exceptions. A set of questions on the use of an Oxford comma was completely unexpected; while there was an extract identifying when it should be used, it was different to the questions that I'd seen in the past. Timing thankfully wasn't an issue, and I was lucky enough to have time to check each of my answers, and I definitely recommend using the flag system (you can flag questions you want to return to and quickly find them again), and I ultimately got 27, slightly above average and enough to get an unconditional-if-firm for Birmingham (though I'm going elsewhere). Thankfully the essay question (I chose one that was basically about affirmative action) was relatively nice.

I didn't prep for the LNAT much, but that strategy isn't recommended! I do recommend booking your test early but not sitting it before October/November, unless you apply to Oxford. I originally scheduled by test for October, but I'd underestimated the amount of time that personal statement editing etc. would take. I found that it was best to sit it after the October half term, (theoretically) allowing for lots of prep time.

Also, it's not a good idea to apply to more than 3-ish universities that require the LNAT - as results don't come out until February, regardless of when you sit the test, you can't tell how well you've done when you apply to universities. Even if your practice scores are amazing, relying too much on the LNAT can be really risky, so I suggest finding a range of LNAT and non-LNAT universities that appeal to you.

Thank you very much, that was really informative and helpful. I think I will practise over summer when I have free time so I don't spend the first few months of A2 worrying!
Original post by jayeshp
Ooo, where you insuring?

I'm firming Nottingham (A*AA) but can't decide what to insure: Warwick (AAA), Birmingham (AAA) or Manchester (aab- reduced from AAA)
Ideally I would insure Warwick but considering I got abb last year it may be a bit risky to have my lowest as AAA... So in quite torn
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I'm firming Nottingham (A*AA) but can't decide what to insure: Warwick (AAA), Birmingham (AAA) or Manchester (aab- reduced from AAA)
Ideally I would insure Warwick but considering I got abb last year it may be a bit risky to have my lowest as AAA... So in quite torn

Insure Manchester. It is an amazing uni and I have no idea why league tables place it that low.
There are a few commercial firms that stated on their website which uni are they recruiting from and Manchester was one of them. Go for it. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I know someone replied to you already but I did the LNAT this school year and there are a few things I wish I had known, so that I wouldn't have had to have crammed as much as I did! First of all, look at the universities' websites to see if they state what they look for in an LNAT results (MCQ score, essay or combined). Some unis even have a cut-off score or through 'Freedom of Information' requests, you can see what the average score is for a particular year.

I bought two books through Amazon with sample papers (a Mark Shepard one and another one - I can't quite remember but I can have a look!) For me, I dedicated 7 minutes per text for reading and answering the questions so that I wasn't scared of the timings when it came to the exam. Mastering the techniques and tricks they ask about is key - I could write a whole extra post on tips for answering the questions but feel free to pm me over the summer if you have any questions on this!

Finally, I would say that the essay is what I found to be the hardest actually. Reading around and deciding what some of the questions are asking for is tricky but having sound knowledge of controversial issues is sufficient. They just want to know how well you can argue a point, with clarity and persuasion etc. I didn't have time in my month of revision to practice essays but I would strongly recommend doing so! Especially practice some typical persuasive phrases you could use in any essay.

Start early! You're doing a great job by even thinking about it now. I got an offer from 2/3 of my LNAT unis (Kings and Bristol) so revision really does pay off! Some people say that it's not something you can practice but I believe that you can

All the best xx
Would anyone firm nottingham over kings? I have an offer from kings but still waiting on nottingham. But loved nottingham way more because of it being a campus uni.
Fast approaching the Thursday deadline for Durham and still heard nothing... Can't be good can it?
Original post by chloeg56
Hey! I know someone replied to you already but I did the LNAT this school year and there are a few things I wish I had known, so that I wouldn't have had to have crammed as much as I did! First of all, look at the universities' websites to see if they state what they look for in an LNAT results (MCQ score, essay or combined). Some unis even have a cut-off score or through 'Freedom of Information' requests, you can see what the average score is for a particular year.

I bought two books through Amazon with sample papers (a Mark Shepard one and another one - I can't quite remember but I can have a look!) For me, I dedicated 7 minutes per text for reading and answering the questions so that I wasn't scared of the timings when it came to the exam. Mastering the techniques and tricks they ask about is key - I could write a whole extra post on tips for answering the questions but feel free to pm me over the summer if you have any questions on this!

Finally, I would say that the essay is what I found to be the hardest actually. Reading around and deciding what some of the questions are asking for is tricky but having sound knowledge of controversial issues is sufficient. They just want to know how well you can argue a point, with clarity and persuasion etc. I didn't have time in my month of revision to practice essays but I would strongly recommend doing so! Especially practice some typical persuasive phrases you could use in any essay.

Start early! You're doing a great job by even thinking about it now. I got an offer from 2/3 of my LNAT unis (Kings and Bristol) so revision really does pay off! Some people say that it's not something you can practice but I believe that you can

All the best xx

Thank you so much, glad I asked this because you've really helped me out! I'm feeling more motivated now, your timing technique sounds good I'll give it a go. I'll definitely message you when I'm revising if that's alright with you! Is it marked like 1 mark per MCQ correct or do you not know? You're an angel, thank you ever so much x
I applied to Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester and Chester. I got all 4 offers back but have chosen University of Manchester as my Firm Choice after much deliberation! Good luck everyone ⭐️
Is it marked like 1 mark per MCQ correct or do you not know?

It's one mark per MCQ correct, and then the essay isn't graded but is instead looked at by each uni.
1 day left till Nottingham reply! has anyone been rejected/had offers recent? and is anyone still waiting?
Original post by Bobkata
Insure Manchester. It is an amazing uni and I have no idea why league tables place it that low.
There are a few commercial firms that stated on their website which uni are they recruiting from and Manchester was one of them. Go for it. Good luck :smile:
I think I will! Thank you! I am slightly worried about how far down it is in the league table though
[QUOTE="qwertyuipdoe;63764983"]
Original post by Bobkata
I think I will! Thank you! I am slightly worried about how far down it is in the league table though

Internationally, it is a well-regarded uni! League tables place it that low because of the student satisfaction which doesn't mean you won't be happy there :biggrin: It means there are many students who take surveys quite serisously. And don't forget Manchester has the biggest law course with the most students. That explains everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Fast approaching the Thursday deadline for Durham and still heard nothing... Can't be good can it?

Hey, I just got an offer from Durham. Have you heard anything from them yet?
When?? Where dod you first hear?? Massive congrats!! They take ages!!
Original post by aayushk
Hey, I just got an offer from Durham. Have you heard anything from them yet?
Original post by jayeshp
1 day left till Nottingham reply! has anyone been rejected/had offers recent? and is anyone still waiting?

Still waiting😁😁
Thank you, I'm quite excited and nervous too! I just heard from them, about an hour ago! What are your other options, if I may?

Latest

Trending

Trending