The Student Room Group

Why do you like maths?

Ok, I got asked this question the other day and I couldn't answer it. I mean I love the logic of maths but I don't really know why I like it. I wanted to tell them how maths could be applied to the real world but couldn't give any examples.

So I have come here for help. Why do you guys like maths? and what topics/areas of maths do you enjoy the most and how do they apply to the real world.

Look forward to reading answers.

Ramie

Scroll to see replies

Because it's fun - this is necessary and sufficient.
It makes complete sense once you work it through unlike many things in the world lol
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't :indiff:
Original post by ramie
Ok, I got asked this question the other day and I couldn't answer it. I mean I love the logic of maths but I don't really know why I like it. I wanted to tell them how maths could be applied to the real world but couldn't give any examples.

So I have come here for help. Why do you guys like maths? and what topics/areas of maths do you enjoy the most and how do they apply to the real world.

Ramie

You could always emulate G. H. Hardy and say that you like it precisely because it has no practical application.
There is always a correct answer. It encourages you to approach in a thoughtful and systematic way.
I like it because its universal, anyone from any country can understand it with the right mindset. The subject is logical (mostly) and helps develop skills in problem solving which can be applied to many different situations.

I particularly like Mechanics even though at times it doesn't make much sense to me. Mechanics is used to find out how things will interact with each other in different environments and can be used to do things such as build a bridge etc and its pretty cool to see it work in real life.
cos those d1 algorithms are bae
Original post by ramie

Ramie

because i'm good at it
It's the subject that 'makes the most sense'.
:perv:
It feels nice when you get an answer to complex question right. Plus, it's easy in the sense that you need to understand a method and apply it, not just memorise knowledge.

Except D1 at A Level, D1 is just awful beyond comprehension
so people can call me smart :proud:
Math is satisfying when you work out tricky equations.
You get the sense that you've achieved something.
It also (like others have said) makes sense once you've worked it out, unlike lots of things in life.
Maths is also really useful at times and can be extremely helpful in certain situations.
Because 789.
Reply 15
Because its easy, that means i can brag to the stupid people who don't understand it. This is why i love it.
Reply 16
I like the fact that when something is proven in maths, it is proven beyond any doubt, proof in science is not like this as nothing is proven as such in science-there is only evidence and theories (in most cases). The proof of Fermat's last theorem proved that the equation xn+yn=zn x^n + y^n = z^n has no solutions if x,y and z are positive integers and n is an integer for ,n>2, n>2 . So no matter how far you look you will not find a single solution (which is amazing since there are an infinite number of combinations of x,y,z and n - that's a proof. No other subject can do this, only maths.
Original post by stefano865
Of course. :tongue:

:kissing2::hugs:

James Dean and Audrey Hepburn :heart:
Reply 18
Original post by B_9710
No other subject can do this, only maths.

Physics can to some extent.
Original post by B_9710
I like the fact that when something is proven in maths, it is proven beyond any doubt, proof in science is not like this as nothing is proven as such in science-there is only evidence and theories (in most cases). The proof of Fermat's last theorem proved that the equation xn+yn=zn x^n + y^n = z^n has no solutions if x,y and z are positive integers and n is an integer for ,n>2, n>2 . So no matter how far you look you will not find a single solution (which is amazing since there are an infinite number of combinations of x,y,z and n - that's a proof. No other subject can do this, only maths.

Not necessarily, for example the following statement can be neither proved or disproved:

"If the set S has a smaller cardinality than a set T, then S also has fewer subsets than T".
- It is undecidable.

Quick Reply

Latest